“Not that Cape Cod I dreamed of”
Review of Cape Winds Resort

Cape Winds Resort
Massachusetts
“Not that Cape Cod I dreamed of”
Reviewed July 26, 2009

If you like living in Star Markets back yard this is the place for you.. Location, location, location...this is the biggest problem with this place. I was disappointed...1.5 miles from the beach, which is where you want to be if you go to Cape Cod. I might was well stayed home. Limited WIFI in select rooms only. Missing screen on front window.
The location was dreadful. Too far from everything, except Star Market.
Staff was very nice but the place itself is in an awful location.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Salem, Massachusetts
Reviewed June 22, 2009

The Cape Winds Resort is a wonderful window back in time to a simpler way of vacationing before on-site spas, couples massages, valet parking and grueling treadmill workouts. Substitute instead, kids playing baseball with the uncles and cousins, paddle boat rides, friendly employees who get to know you and really care if you are having fun and and answer one mlllion questions patiently with a smile. No large, flat screen tv's and muted upscale decor here, substitiute cheerful colors, and a tv and remote that are simple to operate, a back door that opens up to a spacious lawn with various lawn games, a heated pool and a view down to a tidal pond. Also paddle boats and row boats to goof around in. There is a nice double motor power-boat you can rent, but you will need to rent a captain along with it. We booked a kitchette which was perfectly adequate to prepare and serve meals with a spacious bath and dressing area; everthing was spotlessly clean and in good order. The friendly staff cheerfully answers one million touristy questions and requests for directions, but it is the individual concern shown by the owner, Rachel, that really stands out. Two examples; our room had a plumbing problem that was taking a little longer to fix than anticipated. Rachel came and found us at the pool, and offered us another room for the afternoon while the plumber worked in our kitchen. On Sunday morning as she drove by on a Starbucks run, she stopped and asked us if we wanted anything. To me that means that Cape Winds guests are really "her guests" and not just mobs of tourists bugging her at every moment. Having said that if you are looking for the upscale spa resort experience this place probably isn't for you. But why not take a chance on authentic Cape Cod, this is the place family memories are made for a lifetime. We will be heading back.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank leafpeeper98
Pennsylvania
Reviewed April 11, 2009

I guess I have been spoiled with high quality resort types within my own timeshare company. I exchanged for this resort. I only stayed 4 days as a birthday getaway. The staff was generally helpful. We used thier guest computer to charge up our camera. The place was older, but yes it was remodeled. This place did not meet my standards of a resort and I think it's misleading to call it that. It had a volleyball court on their lawn, I don't consider that recreation. The rooms were clean and equipped. Regular TV's not flat screens or jucuzzi tubs. Basically, it was a hotel suite. If that's what you expect then that's what you will get and you will not be disappointed. At nights weird noises can be heard in the walls, sounded like dripping noises or cracklin. Location was not the best, you'd be better off staying closer to Mashpee or right at Falmouth, especially if you plan to go to the Vineyard. But Hyannis is central so if you plan to go to P-town it's great, only an hour. In the summer there is a ferry that goes to the vineyard but it takes longer than an hour, depending on the ferry possibly 2hrs. From Falmouth it's only 40 minutes. Not a lot of modern shopping in the area, however, Mashpee is growing and developing and a good area to visit. Ok, so in a nutshell:

Pros: Next to a market, central area, rooms average and full kitchen, clean
Cons: No bells and whistles, older looking, no variety of recreation, NOT A RESORT!!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Lamcee1
CT
Reviewed January 6, 2009

Just got back from 5 days at the Cape Winds Resort and loved everything about it. The condo was bright and spacious. The kitchen was well equiped and had everything I could have wanted. Would have liked a DVD player in the bedroom, but other than that the place was perfect. In the course of my stay, I met three different employees at the front desk and each one was extremely friendly and accomodating. Would definitely stay there again.

• Liked — The bright and spacious rooms
  • Stayed April 2009, traveled with friends
3 Thank HappyWandererCT
Chandler, AZ
Reviewed September 24, 2008

I was very concerned that I had traded for this resort after reading some of the reviews. I was pleasantly surprised when I arrived at the resort and saw how very nice it was. Obviously some of those who wrote reviews had no idea about Cape Cod in general. This is an older area and we aren't looking at modern 5 star accomodations here. This place is older but has been updated and remodeled and was very clean. The people at the front desk were helpful and
friendly. The unit was clean, light and bright and afforded all the needs that we desired. If I have any complaint it is that I was told there were no hair dryers in the unit and packed mine...but we had a hair dryer in the master bath. I am amazed that some people felt this resort was less than adequate. It was the epitimy of Cape Cod in the overall exterior appearance and the updated interior. Everyone who was staying there while we were seemed very pleased with the overall resort. I read a review from a gentleman from NY before I left for my vacation and felt major trepidation about the resort. He was some kind of lunatic if he truly felt the way he described in his review. It is sad that some people only write bad reviews...must be some sort of power play here. If the place is nice and you had a good time, tell people about it....this is only fair to the resort. It was a great place and a great vacation and I would do it again!!!!

• Liked — very clean
  • Disliked — n/a
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
4 Thank sandyzorro
Poconos, PA
Reviewed June 23, 2007

I thought that Cape Winds was beautiful! We just got back from our one week stay there, and I miss it. The place is BRAND NEW! Everything was immaculate! The room(apartment!) is very spacious and bright. THe kitchen was great. There was a dishwasher and all of the tools you'd need to prepare great meals cheap. The staff was courteous and helpful. They were eager to assist me with everything from locating attractions to planning my stay by suggesting things to do. I would reccomend this establishment to anyone who is staying in Hyannis. The only thing that I didn't love was that they are not very close to the beach, but the grocery store is right next door. Groceries are inexpensive compared to most travel destinations.

• Liked — I loved the kitchen
  • Disliked — Far from the beach
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
5 Thank pencil570traveler
New York City, New York
Reviewed September 14, 2006

Through my timeshare with Royal Holiday Club, I booked the Cape Winds Resort in Cape Cod, Massachusetts for 8/25/06 through 9/1/06. I was very displeased with the room, service and location of the resort. The place is situated on a main road in Hyannis with traffic passing 24 hours a day.
The resort (a collection of attached garden apartments) was filthy, old and dark. The first floor, were my apartment was situated ,had the master bedroom facing a common courtyard, for all guests to look directly into your apartment, thereby giving me absolutely no privacy at all. My common hallway, which connects the 4 apartments in my building, smelled on vomit
that had been allowed to settle for days. When I requested that the 17 year old manager of the resort look into the problem, since the smell had gotten into my apartment and made staying there unbearable, she offered me a cardboard car freshener shaped like a pine tree.

I slept in the place that night since it was too late to find other
arrangements. The next morning I was forced to call managers and staff at their homes hoping to have someone fix the vomit smell which was still strong. Finally, the head of maintenance (who I contacted at home) forced the 17 year old manager to spray the hallway I shared with 3 other neighbors with Frabeeze. It helped the problem for about 2 hours, then the smell came back.

Please understand I have spent the equivalent of 2 years worth of credits which cost me $1,730 for this place. It was the worst place I ever stayed at through Royal Holiday. In fact, it may the worst place I ever stayed at period. In the middle of the day, with all windows open, the place is still dark. Of course with all the people walking around the backyard which looks directly into everyone's bedrooms, you really can not keep your patio door open. In the end, the place is depressing and only creates a feeling of sadness and despair.

Other notables about the place is it directly next to a supermarket on it's right hand side, so you will hear trucks clearly when they deliver food into the loading docks that you can view, and the left hand side sports a law firm and bank. Across the street is a huge high school. As I said earlier, the location was terrible. The place is not close to any beach, nor is it close to any restaurants, even though it is on a main
street.

The place was so bad in the end, I left after 1 night and was forced to spend $1,000 to make other arrangements in Cape Cod for the week.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Everytihng
  • Tips/Secrets — Don't stay there!
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
10 Thank innaz1
gmcwr, general manager at Cape Winds Resort, responded to this review, June 6, 2007
> Cape Winds Resort is 1 mile from one the Cape's most beautiful and well known beaches... Craigville Beach. Also, two miles away you will find Kalmus and John F Kennedy memorial beaches.

> Directly across the street (walking distance) is a newly renovated breakfast/lunch restaurant, The Daily Paper. Less than a mile away is historic Main Street, Hyannis on the waterfront with numerous restaurants, shops, and daily harbor cruises.

>Yes, we are located next to a grocery store but do have an 8 foot stockade fence between the two properties. Most guests view this as a plus since we have full kitchens and the proximity of the store is looked upon as a huge convenience.

>We are across from Barnstable High School but again many see this as a benefit since guests are free to use the tennis and basketball courts and the track when school is either out for the day and/or all summer long.

>The 1st floor units tend to be a little dark especially during gloomy weather, but this is why, when the Board of Trustees started our million dollar renovation 3 years ago they addressed this issue in a couple of ways.
First, the color scheme of whites, light blues, and butter yellows was expressly chosen to brighten and lighten up these rooms. Secondly, in the bedrooms, which have the (no privacy) slider, two window treatments we installed to deal with this. There is a blackout drape and a white sheer drape so you can still have some privacy while allowing the light in.

> I cannot venture a guess regarding the cardboard car freshener, as we do not have those behind the desk for odor treatments. I am the manager and although I may look good for my age, (40) seventeen is pushing it a bit.

>It is very unfortunate, in our industry, that guest do sometimes experience less than satisfactory vacations and sometimes there is nothing you can do about it, but here at Cape Winds we strive to ensure guests enjoy their time with us fully, consider us their “home away from home”, and hope they return again and again. We do belong to other exchange companies and we have Gold Crown Status with them.

Travelers are raving about these Hyannis hotels

Also consider these accommodations in or near Hyannis
SeaCoast Inn
#12 of 22 in Hyannis
Bayside Resort Hotel
Bayside Resort Hotel
#2 of 20 in West Yarmouth

Been to Cape Winds Resort? Share your experiences!