“"Scenic ride" on the... Commuter Rail??? Really?”

Cape Cod Central Railroad
Ranked #12 of 38 things to do in Hyannis
More attraction details
Owner description: Currently, the Cape Cod Central Railroad runs from May through October. It offers Shoreline Excursion Trains, Yankee Clipper Brunch Trains, Cape Cod Dinner Trains and various special events. Departing regularly from Hyannis, with select additional departures from Buzzards Bay, the Cape Cod Central Railroad is a popular tourist attraction. Guests depart the mid-Cape in Hyannis, travel through West Barnstable and Sandwich and down to the Cape Cod Canal. On the way, they travel through sand dunes and salt marshes, see glimpses of the bay and have the opportunity to enjoy parts of Cape Cod that are only accessible by rail. Our award winning Elegant Dinner Train was featured among the top three dinner trains nationwide by TV Food Network's Dining on the Train. Join us for a gourmet meal as we journey through scenic Cape Cod and find out why.
Boston, MA
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 46 helpful votes
“"Scenic ride" on the... Commuter Rail??? Really?”
Reviewed September 8, 2013

I took my nephews on the Narrated Scenic Train Ride... The kids had a good time, because little kids love trains so much. But i was pretty horrified the entire time, and felt swindled. It's not as advertised at ALL... nothing like photos on website. I expected the vintage red rail cars.... we got a stale, stuffy Commuter Rail car. I expected 'scenic' to mean we'd get to see the bridges, the canal and train bridge. We didn't see the Sagamore or Bourne bridges, or Train Bridge. The cranberry bogs/waterway scenery goes by in seconds, and the rest is enclosed woods and people's backyards. We parked at the canal for only a few minutes, just enough time to move the locomotive to the other end, and we were gone. There were several long delays in getting out to Canal (10 mins to 1/2 hour), the kids got really bored, the 3 year old fell asleep. The railway is so busy now, that you end up waiting for other priority cars to move past. The train scheduling is crazy now, and can't seem to support the tourism cars anymore. We were confined to one commuter car on the train, and were not allowed to go to the Snack Bar area. Snacks were shuttled back and forth by an employee. It's just not what they make it out to be on the website... sad.

4 Thank grafton77

Nantucket, Massachusetts
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Consumers are misled about the romantic atmosphere!!”
Reviewed September 1, 2013

Recently went on the dinner train and was not at all impressed. We were told that we would get a table for too, but the day before they called asking for an extra $40 to guarantee the table, however we declined because they said the train was not completely booked so we should be able to sit by ourselves. We arrived and no one honored our request. We were all crammed into one car and there were more guests who wanted to sit as a couple also. We were forced to sit with complete strangers, (who were really nice by the way) My boyfriend terrified because he had planned a proposal for me and cape cod central ruined what was supposed to be a romantic dinner for us. The food was good, I have no complains about that, but the whole three hour train ride was not worth it, it was dark so there was no scenic views. The dinner train would be good for functions and family get together, but if planning something romantic seek other adventures. My fiancé proposed to me on our deck after we came home, so my night was not completely ruined.

2 Thank Marykay166
Plymouth, Massachusetts
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“FRAUDULENT SCENIC EXPERIENCE”
Reviewed August 22, 2013

We were told that you get an elegant dinner along with a leisurely scenic train ride from 6:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. Our train finally left the parking lot shortly after 8:00 p.m. By this time we had finished the third course of our meal. We found out that this was normal due to the commuter rail which has priority over the dinner train. The company knows this but does not tell the consumer. We found this out by asking one of the staff as we were still sitting in the parking lot at 7:30 p.m. By the time we left the parking lot just after 8:00 p.m. it was getting dark. So the train raced up to the canal and back to Hyannis in ninety minutes through the scenic darkness. Cape Cod Central knowingly misleads its guests. This is fraud.

5 Thank BOB0339
New Hampshire
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 72 helpful votes
“Nice Meal But Not All That Scenic”
Reviewed August 22, 2013

I took my elderly father on the Cape Cod Central Railroad for an outing. Everyone was very helpful and the train was very clean. We went for the lunch ride and the meal was really very nice. They also had a full bar. The service was good and we enjoyed the ride. Having said all of that, I didn't really think it was all that scenic. We did pass by a few interesting spots but that was about it. I was really surprised when we stopped....and then starting going backwards..all the way back to the station. In other words, it was a round trip ride back past where you just came from. That was a little bit less than exciting. I would have liked something new to see for the entire 2 hours.

CT
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Nice ride”
Reviewed August 1, 2013

Nice ride. Some of the windows were so scratched it was hard to see some of the sights. Was expecting actual train seats, not tables with chairs. If you were a party of 2, you had to sit with another party of 2, which can be awkward...
snacks and beverages were sold onboard and the narrator was informative

Visited July 2013