“Sorry, I was dissapointed....”
Review of Pain D'Avignon

Pain D'Avignon
Ranked #19 of 199 Restaurants in Hyannis
Cuisines: French, Bar, Cafe
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Modern European style Cafe & Bistro
West Barnstable, Massachusetts
“Sorry, I was dissapointed....”
Reviewed January 5, 2014

The rebuilt addition is quite nice with an impressive wall of wines and champagnes. The bread and pastry counter was staffed by a seemingly disinterested your man...the bread I purchased was full of huge holes...an impossible bread for a sandwich or toast.
I ordered sourdough...did not receive sourdough..

Chose to sit in new addition but then was told that those who sat there had to present their orders at the bread counter. The waitress would deliver. Seemed strange to me that those who sat in the more informal area had service and those who sat further away had half service...seemed turned around somehow. .
The table was set by a young woman who simply heaped the cutlery near the desired place in a hap hazard manner...no place mats, table cloth and a thin paper napkin. Had to arrange curlery ourselves. The table was not 100% clean .

The menu and specials of the day, presented on a chalk board, were of interest. The Lobster sandwich caught my eye and I ordered it. It came on toasted round bread with shredded carrots (no dressing) on side of plate. The lobster would not have been identified as such in a blind taste test. It had little taste and if anything had a hint of shrimp. That was a real let down as the anticipation was high. We had to get our own water in a small plastic cup...My luncheon friend had soup and that was promising and tasty.
I heard that evening meals were wonderful there and their steaks outstanding...but lunch was awkward at best.

• Visited December 2013
Gwyn M, Manager at Pain D'Avignon, responded to this review, January 10, 2014
We operate a fast paced European style café during the day. We are catering to the airport cliental and our busy business neighbors as well as many loyal customers that enjoy our café experience. For our customers that wish to relax and linger over lunch, we offer three high tops by the bar that the bartender services. All other tables, on both sides of the restaurant, are self serve requiring the dining customer to order at the counter. Our staff happily delivers the food and maintains tidiness in the dining areas. I'm sorry that the arrangement was not more clearly explained.

Our dinner ambiance is quite different with table clothes, candle light and attentive table service.

We hope that you return in the future and we can provide a more satisfying dining experience for you.

Branford, Connecticut
“Fine food fast and fabulous!”
Reviewed January 2, 2014 via mobile

Lovely spot in the middle of not so lovely Hyannis. The pastries and breads are top notch and the meals sublime. When traveling with kids it's the antidote to chain restaurants, seafood shacks, and burger joints. We had a croque madam, burger, crispy chicken sandwich and turkey sandwich - all four of my kids found a meal they loved here. On our way out we grabbed some raspberry croissant monkey bread to snack on - heavenly! It's so nice to visit a restaurant that has it all, fabulous food, a cool atmosphere, and pleasant service. A definite "must go!"

1 Thank TACH62
Cambridge
“This time a big dissapointment”
Reviewed January 2, 2014

I still love this place for their baked goods and it is a good lunch spot. However, our dinner was a big disappointment.
This was our first dinner there after the previous chef left. The new menu was too “modern” and everything was too small and too expensive while flavor was nothing special. I will still go back for the coffee and pastries or a good sandwich for lunch. However, we will not going back for the dinner again. Too bad because I thought this was one of the best place on the Cape less than two years ago.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank DoraExplore
Arlington, Virginia
“Never disappointed, always a first stop when I visit the Cape!”
Reviewed December 29, 2013

I love everything about this place!! The food is always locally sourced and delicious. The service is usually outstanding. The selection of beers and wine can't be beat. All-in-all, I love this place so much that I almost don't want to write a positive review because I don't want to wait in line for a table. Only the tiniest of gripes would be that they now don't serve their homemade potato chips from the kitchen so if you dine in, you have to go to the store area and purchase the chips to consume with your meal. Would be helpful if they could just tack it on to the dining in bill. But otherwise fantastic!!

• Visited December 2013
Chicago, Illinois
“Great spot on Cape”
Reviewed November 29, 2013

I have always known Pain d'avignon for their excellent breads, so was excited to find out they opened a restaurant. Have been here twice to pick up sandwiches and sweets before heading to the Nantucket ferry. Sandwiches are artfully crafted, fresh ingredients and delicious. Baked goods are amazing. Next time want to allow more time so we can sit and enjoy a glass of wine with our food because atmosphere is really cute with a modern bistro feel.

Visited September 2013