“Excellent bread, great food, nice staff”
Review of Pain D'Avignon

Pain D'Avignon
Ranked #16 of 200 Restaurants in Hyannis
Cuisines: French, Bar, Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Modern European style Cafe & Bistro
Reviewed October 14, 2013

My wife and I arrived for dinner without reservations on a Saturday night on a busy tourist weekend at around 6:30 and the place was full but there was a spot in the bar area at a high table or at the bar itself. We chose the high table option, which was fine. (Next time we will make reservations and sit at a regular table, but beggars cannot be choosers.) The fact that the place is so popular is a good sign. The bread that was served before the meal was FANTASTIC, just as good as any I have had in Paris, Florence, etc. The food (Scallops and Steak Frites for my wife and I, respectively) were both excellent. The staff was extremely professional and efficient and friendly and the atmosphere was very "chic" without being overwhelming or phony. The prices are a little on the high side for the Cape, but in line with the quality of the food and service. Do not be put off by the looks of the place from the outside. (It is in an industrial area next to the airport in a building that looks like a warehouse!) It really is very nice inside. If you want someplace with a water view, however, this is not the place. To top things off, our waitress went above and beyond by kindly giving us a loaf of bread to take home because we raved about how good it was. A really nice gesture that was appreciated.

Reviewed October 5, 2013 via mobile

I ordered the barbecue pork sandwich with came with chips, not so good, funny little shriveled pickle and a soft soaked roll filled with the pork that appeared to have a tsp of barbecue ketchup and pork that was not very good tasting. I left it sitting on the table and decided I would not return.

Gwyn M, Manager at Pain D'Avignon, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2013

We are so sorry you were not happy with your lunch. We have actually removed that sandwich as of Sept 30.

We are very excited about our new Fall menu, as well as keeping many of our most loved choices, we have added some delicious new options. Some new additions include Grilled Lamb Kefta (spiced kebobs over flat bread, greens, red onion, tomatoes, Bulgarian feta & spicy tzatziki) as well as our Endive & Beets Salad Roasted (local beets, farm apples, watercress, Fourme d'Ambert blue cheese, rye croutons with a red wine vinaigrette). Plus we now have pomme frittes!

I wish you had communicated your dissatisfaction that day so that we could have resolved the matter to your liking. Your opinion and satisfaction are important to us.

Reviewed October 5, 2013

My husband and I go to Pain D'Avignon often and usually are very pleased with our food and the waitress- the food is fresh and authentic, however. today was a disappointment on many levels.

I always order the turkey and brie sandwich which I ask that they change the bread from toasted pecan to a baguette. Due to the difficulty in eating the sandwich stuffed with turkey, brie and lettuce, I request that the preparer hallow out the bread- I have ordered this sandwich on numerous times and they have accommodated my request. Today, I was informed the cook would not hollow out the bread- sending the waitress with the message. I was surprised a restaurant that serves so many repeat Cape Cod diners would refuse to simply hollow out the bread and instead waste the waitress' time and disappoint me -

I accepted the refusal planning to hallow out my bread- it was delivered with the baguette buttered- I am not sure what would lead to a crusty roll being toasted and buttered- to which I requested a simple baguette that I would make my sandwich myself- to which the waitress gracefully responded-

Quite honestly, I cannot understand why the cook would not feel it was worse to refuse a simple request, and let other diners see me request different baguette and remake my sandwich. Not what I would think sends the message "wow this is good" but rather, not so good.

My husband's breakfast special was "ok" not the normal freshness and the food a bit greasy.

So where going to Pain D' was always a treat, will likely no longer be one of our go to places.

It is sad because the waitress is so kind and thoughtful and the food usually wonderful

Reviewed October 4, 2013

I have known about this place for quite some time because I was in catering & we ordered the French Point Rolls from them to be shipped up to Cambridge for a big event at Harvard Univ. This is the 1st time I ever visited & was not disappointed. The bakery has a plethora of yummy breads & rolls. We went on a Friday & they had a bread with chocolate & hazelnuts in it & gave samples at the counter. Bought it right on the spot! As well as the sourdough boule, croissants & a baguette (I had to stop at some point). At the counter we also ordered lunch of a croque monsieur & a croque madame for my friend. A lovely cup of coffee & chocolate croissant pudding. Everything mouthwatering. Lots of tables to sit at both inside & out. There is another side that has table service. This place is tucked into a sideroad next to the Hyannis Airport. You have to know about it I think to find it. I knew about, I found it, & I can't wait to go again!

Reviewed September 29, 2013

Told my wife, jokingly, on the way to PD about the poor review from the MV person. We arrived today, there was what seemed to be a hostess at the hostess stand busy on an Ipad and offered no direction except when asked. We sat ourselves. I counted 5 different server persons including the bartender walk by our table without a word. We waited, wife used the restroom and when she came back asked if anyone had come by. When I answered no, we decided to leave. No one stopped us on the way out. Staff may have outnumbered the customers so "busy" wasn't an excuse.

2  Thank WBRED
Mario M, Manager at Pain D'Avignon, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2013

We are very sorry for your unsatisfactory experience during your last visit. I realize it can be a bit confusing when entering as we are a busy bakery as well as a cafe. Our guests order at the counter and then we deliver their meals to their selected table. It is a quick, casual service that promotes speed and convenience for our nearby airport customers as well as local businesses looking for a quick lunch option. We do offer full service at 3 high tops for guests looking for a more leisurely dining experience.

My apologies that hostess missed you when you entered. It is her job to explain this to entering guests. I am very sorry for your inconvenience and wish you had asked for the manager that day. I would have made sure the rest of your visit was beyond reproach. We value our customers and aim to make each visit a special experience.