“This is the only way to travel to the islands.”

Hy-Line Cruises - High Speed Ferry Service
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Owner description: High-speed ferry service to Nantucket and Martha's Vineyard; the only mid-Cape departure point to both islands. Hyannisport Harbor Cruises past the Kennedy Compound, Deep-Sea Fishing and Cape Cod Canal Cruises.
Baltimore MD
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“This is the only way to travel to the islands.”
Reviewed October 30, 2013

I took the traditional Hy-line to the Martha's Vineyard. But, took the high speed ship back to the dock. This was a great ride back. I wish I had taken the high speed ship to the Island. The ship has both in door and out door seating. I sat out on the upper deck. It was wonderful. I was able to take great pictures (using my cheat cell phone). I love the water, so watching the water bounce from the ship was very relaxing.

I booked my ticket from an Inn nearby and received a discount. Some hotels and other tourist places have discounts coupons.

I will be looking out for Groupons/Livingsocial deals on this. This is definitely worth the extra dollars. It gets you to your destination a lot quicker.

I noticed there was a group of passengers in wheelchairs who were able to exit with no difficulty.

I will definitely us Hy-line High Speed Ferry again.

Visited September 2013
2 Thank survivorlookinforfun

Pennsylvania
60 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 51 helpful votes
“Good Fast Livin'”
Reviewed October 22, 2013 via mobile

Comfortable, fast, scenic ferry to Martha's Vineyard. This is THE to go. Just as I got settled in to nap, voila! We arrived to Oak Bluffs on MV. Can't say enough great things about this high quality service. HyLine = Hy Living.

Cambridge, Massachusetts
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Convenient ride to Nantucket, takes longer than you'd think, overpriced”
Reviewed October 17, 2013

We took the traditional (non-high-speed) ferry departing from Hyannis to Nantucket in the morning (and then again returning the evening) so that we could do a day trip to Nantucket Island. We had bought 2 first-class tickets at a steep discount from a Groupon deal. The discounted price made it seem worth the cost, but otherwise the traditional ferry takes much longer than I'd like to get to the island (over 2 hours). Seems to me that all the ferries should travel at the "high speed", but then the company wouldn't be able to charge a premium price for the high speed variant.

This review relates to the First Class section only, since that's where we were seated. It's smaller than you'd expect, but is furnished with comfortable chairs, tables, and a variety of couches and lounge chairs. There's a private outdoor deck section (at the front of the boat) which is nice to get some fresh air if you're feeling seasick. There's also private restrooms in the first class cabin, so you don't have to go out into the coach section. As you'd expect, there's a bar with overpriced drinks and snacks (didn't try any).

Also, as part of the first class ticket it seems at the beginning of the trip they put out a fruit, cheese, and cracker platter. It's pretty low-quality stuff (the cheese was grocery store quality, and some of the fruit was moldy). The crackers are useful for munching on in case of upset stomach.

This would otherwise be a 3-star average review, but adding 1 more star since it seems quite easy to get a good discounted ticket (either through a Groupon-like deal, or by purchasing through your hotel's front desk). With a discounted price, the value is a bit higher thus making the experience more worthwhile. Of course, when it comes down to it, there aren't really many other options to get from the cape to Nantucket island, so with almost no competition the rest hardly matters if you're dead set on getting to Nantucket.

Visited August 2013
Lambertville, New Jersey
64 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 89 helpful votes
“Very nice trip”
Reviewed October 15, 2013

We took the high-speed cruise to Nantucket. It was a very pleasant experience! The staff was very professional. We bought a combination package ticket, which included dinner at Arno’s; Arno’s was just OK, so if we were to do it again, we would not do the combination ticket.

Visited October 2013
1 Thank LoveAGreatBnB
Fayetteville, Pennsylvania
33 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Fast track to the islands ”
Reviewed October 10, 2013 via mobile

A very good way to get to Nantucket. Good food, convenient and clean restrooms. Great view. It does get a little wet if you sit outside in the back.