“What a disappointment”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast
Reviewed July 18, 2012

Having passed this, supposedly revamped restaurant many times and being curious to see if it still lived up to the previous hype, I and an elderly friend decided to stop for a cup of tea and a pastry on our way home.

The restaurant appeared to be split into two sections and we were ushered into, what can only be described as, a poorly furnished section which resembled a works canteen. Sitting on a hard seat in that room certainly wasn't a comfortable experience. The other section appeared to be a bit more comfortable, with softer seats, but we weren't given the option despite it not being crowded.

Even before I had managed to sit my elderly friend down and having the chance to read a menu, a waiter was upon us asking what we would like to drink. We ordered our tea and waited a few minutes before it arrived. I then asked a male waiter what pastries were on offer and he said he didn't know so would have to go to check. He came back later and offered us a grand selection of two pastries - we placed our order. About 10 minutes later a female waitress came across and asked if we had placed an order and we explained that we had. Having drunk our tea, we were now not in the mood for something to eat so asked for our bill, which never did arrive. We were then approached by a more senior male waiter who, again, asked if we had ordered and I explained that nothing had happened and I said that I wanted the bill. Again, the bill didn't arrive so I went up to the counter to be told that, because of the mix-up there would be no charge.

The restaurant was uncomfortable and the staff appeared poorly trained. This visit was a totally unpleasant experience and doesn't do anything to enhance the reputation of Little Chef or Heston Blumenthal. I can't comment about the food because we didn't get any. However, the tea was very nice.

Reviewed July 5, 2012

We ordered our meals with drinks only to be told after 15 minutes that the drinks we had ordered were not in stock followed 15 minutes later that our meal had not been ordered.

Reviewed June 5, 2012

We stopped here on a journey to the midlands great food great service and a great sized breakfast myself and my husband had Olympic breakfast and our daughter had pancakes all cooked freshly to order and worth the wait spot on !

Reviewed May 23, 2012

Stopped for lunch en route to the south coast last week. Was super impressed with the service given by a very polite young Afghan man who had made the soup of the day (tomato). Best ever, and I'm VERY fussy about my tomato soup !! I will definitely call there again when in the area.

Reviewed May 21, 2012

Looked forward to stopping here on our way to Cornwall. Last visited a year ago and thought it was great. This time, ripped seats, dirty toilets, old egg on cutlery and grimy crockery! What a disappointment. Couldn't bear to order anything substantial- had an ordinary egg on toast with beans whilst husband had bacon buttie on stale bread. Staff (v. young) soldiered on despite the shocking fall in standards. Come on Little Chef, some investment in your brand please!