Sofia Ristorante
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed November 25, 2012

Atmosphere is ok. There were 7 of us mid week, 3 other smaller parties already there. Waitperson (wife of owner says a local in our group) was attentive but maybe having an 'off' night: told us certain entrees came with pasta but potato and veg arrived. We asked about it and were told 'I'll bring the pasta.' After another wait, we asked abt the pasta and she admitted she made error- that pasta is side for noon meals, not evenings. Pasta came when entree was nearly 1/2 eaten, by a slow eater!
House salads -not included with entree- were boring-lettuce, carrot shreds and tomato slices with oil & vinegar dressing; we were anticipating more flavorful dressing, at least. Pasta entrees were dry- esp the linguine with oil and garlic: great garlic but scant oil. Chicken and spinach canneloni had small bits of chicken. Portions were generous but still pricey for what we got.

Reviewed June 14, 2012

Great atmosphere. Owner is always there assuring quality of service/food. Everything is made fresh. Closest thing to North End as you're gonna get!

a++

Reviewed March 5, 2012

This place was highly recommended by a friend of mine so I decided to take ny wife there for her birthday this past Friday. We got there at 7:20 and there were some empty tables but there were some that had tables of six & 8 then then a few of just 2 & 4 people. Our waitress came by in reasonable time to take our drink order and tell us the specials fo that evening. Our bottle of wine came then she came back about 15 minutes later to see if we wanted an appetizer which we did but also placed our dinner order at that time. At that point, it was about ten minutes of 8:00. We didn't get our meal until almost 8:45! My meal, for $17.50 was like an appetizer in itself. My wifes chickem Picata she said was tasty but the oven browned potatos were mostly burnt. We're not complainers and maybe we should be but given the time it took to get our meal (which you think they were preparing "The Last Supper"), I wasn't going to bother. I juist said, "Check please" and we were outta there. It just wasn't what I was led to expect and the wait was something you'd probably expect in Boston but at least the food was worth the wait. Not here! Don't bother! There are plenty of other Italian restaurants around for less money and 1/2 the wait time.

Reviewed August 13, 2011

Home style cooking is always subject to interpretation, and Sophia's interpretation of italian cuisine is not bad at all. If you are in the area and plan on stopping by, do go to restaurants.com and see if you can get a coupon - the food is on the pricey side. I don't consider it "fine" dining - it is more casual dining in a very casual (and dark) atmosphere. Service was charming, witty and attentive - Kate and Mike enjoy their work. The owner, Vincenzo (well, looks can be deceiving) comes across as a stereo-type soprano who worked with the guys who know where Hoffa is... However, the cleanliness of the establishment in an old business, and the fact that he considers himself SO BUSY too busy to entertain new faces, tells you he takes his restaurant and his business very seriously (and he really doesn't care if he scares the fairy off your shoulder!). Food is cooked to order, could use a bit more attention to the seasoning, but it is hearty, portions are enough to share for 2, and all in all, the type of home cuisine you would find in one of your favorite aunt's kitchen. Not a bad choice if you are in the area - certainly better than that gross Allora in Marlborough.

Reviewed August 11, 2011

The building is so old it smells musty and the decor is old and run down. Lambrusco by the glass at 7.50?! Pretty sure that's the 1.5L price at the store (not that I drink fizzy wine). We couldn't afford a bottle of wine - cheapest Chianti at $62 from a maker I don't know - ended up with a glass of the "house red" which left no impression. I won't remember the food but I will remember the Grille23 prices for what felt like eating at your grandma's old house. Sorry to be so harsh because they were all nice people but my instincts told me to run as soon as I sat down (which was right away because there was no one in the place)!

Been to Sofia Ristorante? Share your experiences!