“Fantastic hotel!”

Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Holyoke
Warwickshire
“Fantastic hotel!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2008

This is my second stay at this hotel and I loved it again.

The standard of cleanliness is excellent, the staff are friendly, the food is good, the decor and feel of the hotel is lovely and the suites are such good value for your money.

I'm struggling to say anything negative about this hotel, other than the mattress was a little too soft for my liking, but that's just personal taste!

Should I visit my friend again next year, I would definately stay here and would recommend the hotel to anyone.

• Liked — Pretty much everything!
  • Disliked — The soft mattress
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled solo
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
Rhode Island
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2008

Stayed one night. Suite was spacious but air conditioning was ineffective. Hallways were filthy and trash basket near elevator was overflowing. Desk clerk was morose. Breakfast of ersatz eggs and greasy sausages. It's great if all you care about is space; otherwise not good.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank hchudaco
New England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2008

Stayed at this hotel the weekend before the fourth. Found the hotel to be very comfortable, staff was very friendly and willing to help. Even tho this hotel is close to I-91 we found it to be very quiet. Was an overall good experience. Would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Liked — Staff
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
MASSACHUSETTS
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2008

We stayed here in June to spend the day at Six Flags. The proximity to Six Flags is pretty good, about 15-20 min drive. The Hotel is less than 5 min off the highway which is nice.

We had a King Studio which was quite spacious and very nice. It was nearly identical to another Homewood Suites studio King room that we stayed in PA years ago. The bed was nice and comfortable. The room was very clean and the shower doors were neat(sort of frosted glass). The shower area was all tile and very nice. It was also large enough to fit 3-4 people. The one downside was the lack of places to put things in the shower. There was only 1 soap holder and no place for shampoo, shaving cream, etc...

The lobby and common areas were very nice, clean and good looking. The complimentary Hot Breakfast was good and except for the eggs (which were sort of small folded over omlets with what seemed to be cheese-wiz inside). They also had cereal, hash browns, bagels with toasters and cream cheese, OJ, coffee, milk and what looked like microwave pancakes. I did not see a waffle maker. Overall I can't complain about free breakfast.

There were some grills outdoors open for guest to use and a nice half basketball court which was in excellent shape.

Overall this could be a Great Hotel...BUT HERE IS THE KICKER...TRAVELERS WITH KIDS BEWARE:

The pool was ABSOLUTELY OVERKILLED with Chlorine & chemicals. I've honestly never seen/smelled anything like that in my life. We have two small children (3 1/2 and 1 1/2) so one of the first things we look for in a hotel is a nice warm indoor pool. We went swimming for about 10 min and had to get out. I never let my head go under water and my eyes stung for 10 min after I got out. It cannot possibly be safe to have those levels of chemicals in the pool. I am honestly thinking of contacting the Holyoke Board of Health for them to check on this.

I read another reviewer who also mentioned this as a problem. Unlike that other reviewer I would say the hotel did have clean common areas, but this POOL issue is a clear problem that needs to be addressed. The other reviewer mentioned this in Sept 2007 and it's now June 2008 and I experienced the same problem. The smell of chlorine actually stays in your nose for about 10 min after you walk out of the pool area.

To top it off the water was really cold for an indoor pool. Much too cold for my liking and my 1 1/2 year old wouldnt go in at all. She normally loves pools. The hotel claims it is heated but I don't take showers that cold on 100 degree days at home and I don't have any A/C in my house.

Overall I ranked this a 2 out of 5 simply because of the pool issue. For someone with young children who look forward to using the pool, this chemical issue was a major disappointment from an otherwise very nice hotel. Even the SPA smelled like it had massive quantities of chlorine which just doesn't seem safe for your skin.

• Liked — Room Layout and Size; Proximity to Six Flags
  • Disliked — Pool overkilled with chemicals
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank skiz777
Charlotte, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2008

The check-in service was excellent and she called after we got settled in our room to make sure we were happy- always a nice touch. We stayed in room 517 which was on the top floor corner. The room was well layed out but not as large as I thought it would be. It was pretty well sound proofed- I never heard anyone around us or at the elevator. The Holyoke Mall is practically across the street so you can do some shopping or eat (Ruby Tuesday, 99 Restaurant). The free breakfast was ok; it was fine for being free. There was a decent class of people staying there. This hotel is situated next to the highway so if noise is a problem asked to be put on the other side. You could hear traffic at times but it wasn't a problem- more of a light hum. I would not put off staying there because of this.

• Stayed April 2008
East Coast
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2007

We like Homewood Suites and have enjoyed them in other locations/states. Mid way through our stay, we upgraded to a two bedroom suite. After spending a long day out and about, it was late when we put our two children to bed in our new suite. When we slipped into our new bed, our feet found the under garments (boxers and panties) of the couple who must have slept in the bed the night before. Makes you wonder if keeping used bedding on the beds between room change overs is a common practice by the 'cleaning' staff. Should have trusted my first impressions (dirty common areas and a pool with enough chemicals to push us out of the water), and re-packed the car and kept on driving. Completely UNSAT!

• Liked — leaving
  • Disliked — free used under garments
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
7 Thank frequent_traveller13
nh
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2007

I got their name from the 6 Flags NE site. This hotel was WONDERFUL. Very clean, the staff was OUTSTANDING and the breakfast was very much a bargain. I might go back to 6 flags just so I can stay at this hotel again. If you are wondering it's a 20 min drive to six flags from this hotel.

Stayed August 2007
2 Thank maria071
Also consider these accommodations in or near Holyoke
D. Hotel & Suites
D. Hotel & Suites
#2 of 5 in Holyoke
Hampton Inn Chicopee/Springfield
Hampton Inn & Suites Springfield/Downtown
La Quinta Inn & Suites Springfield
Residence Inn Springfield Chicopee
Hampton Inn Hadley-Amherst

Been to Homewood Suites Holyoke-Springfield/North? Share your experiences!