“Feels like nitpicking, but we've been in better Homewood Suites.”

Homewood Suites Holyoke-Springfield/North
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Holyoke
Massachusetts
“Feels like nitpicking, but we've been in better Homewood Suites.”
Reviewed August 21, 2011

We stayed here for one night so we could go to Six Flags. We are a family of four, two adults and two children. Our kids refuse to share a bed, so we needed a room with 3 beds. We ended up with a King Accessible Studio Suite with a pullout sofa and a rollaway bed/cot. I didn't think about the ethics of the reserving this room when we have no one with a wheelchair in our family. Sorry. :( But the hotel seemed kind of quiet, so I hope we inconvenienced no one.

The staff was very pleasant and helpful, though the person who checked us in wasn't quite clear about where we should park to best access our room. The morning staff very nicely answered several questions I had about Six Flags and helped us buy two tickets (we had 2 we'd won in a fundraising auction).

The bed.... oh, it was divine. I never wanted to leave that bed. It was so comfortable. I also have to say that it was nice to have so much room to maneuver around the beds (probably due to the suite being designed to be wheelchair accessible).

The setup is typical of Homewood Suites. We've never been disappointed with the room layouts, cleanliness and furnishings at a Homewood Suites.

The breakfast was a little under par. My kids look forward to the waffles and whipped cream, but none was available. I am guessing there was one at one point because pancake syrup was on the counter, but there was no wafflemaker while we were having breakfast. My son was crushed. :( The selection of pastries was skimpy, and there were few kid-friendly cereals. The eggs were good, though.

We did not go to the pool or fitness room, but we did do a quick load of laundry. Everything came out dry and clean.

The wifi was very good. Thank you. :)

Writing this review, I realize I didn't have much nitpicking to do, just the breakfast. I guess the breakfast is a crucial part of our Homewood Suites stay, and we don't want it to change.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Ww1614
PeterMarks, General Manager at Homewood Suites Holyoke-Springfield/North, responded to this review, August 23, 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for staying with us. We appreciate your business.

Please accept my apology for not meeting your expectations in regards to breakfast. We have a large variety of breakfast items, which we rotate daily, to keep it "fresh". Having said that, we will review what we can add for children to our daily breakfast to exceed our guest's expectations. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

We are delighted that you otherwise enjoyed your stay and had an amazing night rest. Hopefully we will be your hotel of choice, when you return to the area.

Peter Marks

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
Greer, South Carolina
Reviewed July 30, 2011

Victor at the front desk is awesome! Give this man a raise!! Polite, courteous and so helpful. Everyone who works there is friendly and caring. The room was clean, clean, clean. We travel with our Standard Poodle and while the pet fee is high, it is worth it. Lots of grassy areas to walk in And clean up stations are provided.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank dawnsherry
Abingdon, Maryland
Reviewed July 29, 2011

Check-in was unimpressive. Basically, here’s your key and location of the elevator to get to my 4th floor room. So much for being a Diamond HHonors member. Five story typical Homewood Suites with free parking, free wi-fi and complimentary breakfast/ evening reception. Hotel is located off Interstate 91 and near a mall with Macy’s and Target as anchors. Light sleepers should request even number rooms to avoid the highway noise. There is only one elevator which I thought would be a problem with the volume of families with kids at the hotel, but throughout the week it was not an issue. The property is close to the Six Flags Amusement Park which likely explains the how volume of vacationers. Despite the number of families and lots of kids, my floor was relatively quiet. There is a pool, business and fitness center. My room was clean with a comfortable bed, nice towels and the standard toiletries offered by the Hilton chain. I had the standard breakfast on two of the four mornings and the evening dinner one night and all three times Marlene was extremely pleasant and helpful. Typical Homewood Suites, a decent stay, but the lackluster reception makes this stay nothing to write home about.

Room Tip: Ask for an even numbered room to avoid noise from Interstate 91
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
PeterMarks, General Manager at Homewood Suites Holyoke-Springfield/North, responded to this review, August 8, 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for staying with us and for providing us with your feedback. I appreciate your business and the fact that you took the time to write us about your stay.
We are delighted that you overall enjoyed your stay. As we discussed on the phone, I am sorry that we failed to relay at check in, that a new trainee was handling your check in, where she did not exemplified the skills, you are accustomed to from Hilton. This was clearly our mistake to have her perform a task she was not ready for. Your feedback has been used as a great training opportunity, to enable the Front Desk Team to wow our guests at check in, as we intend to do.

cape cod
Reviewed July 21, 2011

Our family of 5 stayed for 2 nights. We were there to visit the Basketball of Fame and Six Flags New England. The Hotel is less than a 1/2 hour ride to both locations. It's less than 5 mins. to restaurants and the Holyoke Mall. The hotel was beautiful. It was very nice. We had a 1 bedroom suite. The bathroom wasspotless as was the rest of the suite. It was very quiet. Although the parking lot was full and proved otherwise you would have thought we were the only visitors. The indoor pool and hot tub was very clean and when we used it during the afternoon we had it all to ourselves. There was a basketball court outside of the pool area that my boys enjoyed. The staff was friendly. There is a very nice gym with 2 large treadmills, 2 eliptical machines, a stationary bike, weights and exercise balls. There is a daily complimentary breakfast. The 1st morning they offered scrambled eggs, sausage, potatos, various cereals, bagels, breads, fruit, oatmeal, yogurt, coffee, tea, orange and apple juice. The 2nd morning was cheese omelets, sausage, potatos and the rest with an added belgian waffle station. Mon-Thurs their is a complimentary light supper. We did not try the supper but their was a menu on the refrigerator in our room with the monthly menu. Some of the offerings being lasagna, grilled cheese etc.. I really can not think of anything that to complain about. I would recommend this hotel to families, business travelers and couples.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
PeterMarks, General Manager at Homewood Suites Holyoke-Springfield/North, responded to this review, July 23, 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for staying with us. We appreciate your business and your kind words on tripadvisor. We pride ourselves for our hospitality and quality service.

I am delighted you enjoyed you stay and we hope to welcome you back soon.

Homewood Suites Holyoke / Springfield North
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed June 13, 2011

Stayed at this property during a family event at a local college with my two children - can't say anything could have been better. Room was clean, well furnished and had everything we needed during our 4 days in Holyoke. We had a corner room by an elevator and yet it was completely quiet. The breakfast they provide is one of the best I have seen in a hotel in the USA, a nice selection of hot and cold breakfast foods as well the normal items for hotels. The staff was super helpful, polite and very friendly to me and the kids :) They have a small but nice gym room that has a full view of the pool, so you could get a work out in while the kids played in the water!! Pool was very nice and has a big hot tub to the side. The big mall is literally across the highway overpass yet the hotel seems secluded and away from the traffic and noise. The Hotel service manager has to be one of the nicest people I have ever met in any property I have stayed. I wouldn't recommend anyone stay anywhere else if your in this area.

3 Thank Bravosix1
PeterMarks, General Manager at Homewood Suites Holyoke-Springfield/North, responded to this review, June 15, 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your kind comments. We appreciate your feedback and your business. I will be certain to share your review with my entire team.

We pride ourselves to be your home away from home. I am excited to read that we exceeded your expectations.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Davis, CA
Reviewed May 31, 2011

Do not stay at this hotel if you have any concerns about sleeping. I like a room that is cool, dark and quiet, so I checked for blackout curtains and a reasonably quiet air conditioner, and got a room on the ground floor on the opposite side from the freeway (since heat and sound both rise.) What I didn't know was that the hotel had square foot large spotlights right outside the windows, aimed directly at the windows, and in bed my face was only three feet away from the curtain. Even with a heavy curtain there was still a glow around the window, and a hum coming from somewhere as well. Although the weather was perfect, I couldn't open the window (the six inches allowed) because of the light and the hum, and the hotel had the heat on (it was about 80 degrees in the hall) so I had to run the air conditioner at night, which meant we kept waking up with it too hot, too cold or too noisy. I did find a night manager at 1:30 a.m. who put a box around the lights, but he couldn't turn off the heat. Then we had to climb precariously on the back of a chair to put masking tape on the brightly flashing light of the smoke alarm and stash the phone with its blinking red light and the large glowing alarm clock under the bed. After hardly sleeping I did not get up in time to sample the fake eggs and boxed fruit. Since it was a graduation weekend we also had to pay one and a half times the normal room rate. To be fair, the rooms were nicely outfitted and the bed was comfortable enough, but I probably could have slept as well in one of the seen-better-days hotels down on Route 5, for a fraction of the price.

1 Thank NeedMySleep88
White Plains
Reviewed May 30, 2011

The hotel was very well maintained, comfortable rooms and nice staff. Minor complaint about breakfast - unexciting, typical Homewood Suites fare. My biggest issue is that they apparently do not offer an extended checkout under any circumstances, even on Sunday. We had a breakfast party to attend and asked to extend checkout from 12:00 to 1:00. They said they don't because they need to get rooms ready for the next day's guests. Understood, but isn't that the case with every hotel and I've never had a similar request denied by a hotel before, especially by a Hilton property and being a Hilton Honors member.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Holyoke
D. Hotel & Suites
Hampton Inn West Springfield
Hampton Inn West Springfield
#1 of 17 in West Springfield
La Quinta Inn & Suites Springfield

Been to Homewood Suites Holyoke-Springfield/North? Share your experiences!