“Family enviroment ”

Fernandez Family Restaurant
Ranked #5 of 113 Restaurants in Holyoke
Reviewed November 14, 2013 via mobile

Delicious food & great family restaurant.. I have been coming here for years and I will keep coming back for many more. Thanks

Reviewed October 8, 2013

When I moved from NYC to western Mass I thought I had given up those giant plates of pernil and plantains and rice and gravy. Yesterday I found the Fernandez Family Restaurant and was thrilled to experienced the Puerto Rican hospitality, (and generous portions) that I had left behind in Manhattan.
We arrived at 1 pm and had to wait in line for about 10 minutes. The steam table had 10-12 offerings but pork is king here. I chose the roast pork, sweet plantains and yellow rice w/ a few beans in it. A yummy trifecta, altho' the pork got dry fast as it cooled and there was no lime or lemon in the house. My friend chose the baked chicken, which looked pretty yucky in its warming bin, 'cause she doesn't eat pork. It was mushy and dry and of course, overcooked. Her green salad was freshly made in the back of the house, looked appetizing and was offered with a little cup of ranch dressing. I ordered a portion of tripe to go for the hubby at home (never pass up a chance to eat tripe) and we both agreed it tasted like commercial vegetable soup with tripe in it, uninspired to say the least. Both the pork and the tripe would benefit from the addition of garlic.
The dining room is clean, the restroom is clean and the sign over the sink reads "please don't steal the soap". Crazy, lol.
If you love traditional Puerto Rican style roast pork served all pulled apart with a piece of crispy skin to chew on, and plantains that taste like candy...this is the place to go.

1  Thank p.zindler
Reviewed August 20, 2013

Fernandez catered some wedding events for me recently and every person I talked to who attended raved about the food. The family that owns the restaurant and catering business care about their customers and are incredibly generous with their time and energies. The food is delicious, inexpensive and the people are great to work with. What else could you ask for.

Reviewed July 8, 2013

This is a cafeteria-style restaurant. We went with our four kids and got three different large plates, with chicken, pork, and meatloaf. Each plate comes with a huge amount of rice and another side. They just piled on the food and three plates fed all six of us. Everything was delicious, and I was astonished the price was only $9 per plate. Try the mufungo! (plantains)

Reviewed March 11, 2013

I used to get food from Fernandez Family Restaurant when they were in a very small space down the end of High Street years ago. The space now is beautiful and bright with a great atmosphere to sit and enjoy a delicious meal. The food is top notch. I love the perne and mufungo (probably spelling it wrong) with the very very garlicky sauce that is to die for. There was a band playing music the last time I went, which added to the homey feeling. It really is a great place to eat. They are only open Mon-Fri from 11(?) to 5p, but to get the best selection, go early for lunch!