“Hot dog magic!”
Review of Nick's Nest

Nick's Nest
Ranked #6 of 112 Restaurants in Holyoke
Reviewed December 28, 2011

Nick's has been serving dogs since 1921, and they are delicious! This is NOT a place for the calorie conscious as the menu is simple and unadulterated by political correctness. There are no salads (except macaroni and potato), or veggie patties just hot dogs, baked beans, fries and onion rings. The dogs are moist and mild. I had mine with mustard, but they also offer relish and ketchup. Chili and cheese are available for a small upcharge. The baked beans were yummy and the root beer was a perfect complement to the meal. The atmosphere seemed unchanged from when the building was originally constructed with counters and stools along the outside walls that afford a view of the street. The staff was friendly and efficient from the counter worker who took our order to the gentleman who diligently wiped the counters as each customer left. Good food and a good value!

1  Thank Christine O

Reviewed October 15, 2010

As a kid growing up in Holyoke, on many occasions after school I used to ride my bike over there to grab a dog and thought they were pretty good.
As a retired adult still living quite close to the restaurant, I feel that as of late that the quality of the food has gone down hill and is mediocre ar best.
There are quite a few restaurants and/or diners in the area which offer a tastier and bigger dog in a much comfortable setting and nicer atmosphere.
Perhaps I take the restaurant for granted because as stated I grew up in the area, but other than the fact that it has been around a long time, imo it is just a hot dog fast food place along the side of the road.
Aanyone who has not been to the restaurant and who is driving many miles to try it, is wasting their time and gas-you can go to your local Seven/Eleven or local diner and do just as well if not better and save yourself the drive.
If you happen to be in the area and want some quick food, then sure try it but don't go there with any urealistic expectations-a hot dog is a hot dog, and there is only so much you can do with it.

Reviewed May 22, 2010

A friend said: "You haven't been to Nick's Nest? you've got to go." No, you don't. Apparently my friend, and others, like low-quality hot dogs, heated to lukewarm in a puddle of oil. The fries were probably good at one time, but not after they'd been reheated and served to me. I tried this place twice, assuming the first time was a fluke. Unfortunately, it wasn't

2  Thank NE_Wayfarer
Reviewed August 10, 2009

I used to eat here years ago and thought it was great, so I tried it again a few months ago. Was it just me or was it less than ordinary? I checked with some relatives who agreed that it's not what it used to be. The hot dog was small and not very good flavor. The chili was a joke and the melted cheese food product was tasteless. The shake I had was okay, but small for the price. The woman who waited on me acted like she was doing me a big favor and would only answer my questions about the menu in one word answers (there was no on in line behind me). Skip this place; save your money and eat elsewhere.

2  Thank Eube
Reviewed October 27, 2008

At least once a month I take the trek from Simsbury, CT up to Nicks nest. I am not sure how they make their hotdogs so good, but I can tell you from (much) experience that they are work the trip and the little amount of money you will spend. The price of a hot dog is very reasonable at 2.25, with a typical dinner for 2 of 4-6 hot dogs and soda costing you no more than $20.00

The new owners have done a GREAT job keeping the nastalgia while adding a few new items, and expanding the hours.

You are doing yourself a great injustice if you are in the area and don't visit Nick's Nest