“Not what I expected”
Review of D. Hotel & Suites

D. Hotel & Suites
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Holyoke
Reviewed July 29, 2013

My husband and I decided to go on a little getaway for the night and I wanted to stay close to home as this was our first time away from our baby. We decided to stay here because I recieved an email about their "Have a bite, Stay the night" deal. The people at the front desk were very nice, but the room wasn't what I expected for such a nice place. I even took pictures I was so upset. They left old bar soap and a dirty wash cloth in the shower. Which made me think they didn't even clean it. The curtains were uneven, not one decoration on the wall, the strawberries that were left for us were all melted, the room didn't look like it was vacummed. We went next door to the Mick to eat. We go here at least twice a month bc we love the food so much. Well this time not so much. Our waitress, although very nice took 22 minutes to be exact to get us a drink. The food was good, but the potatoes were barely warm. She took another 20 to get our dessert and we saw it sitting on the dessert counter so long that the icecream melted. Maybe they were short staffed that night bc 2 weddings were going on, but that doesn't matter much to customers when you go somewhere, esp this place and have to wait so long. The manager ended up bringing our food out for us. She never even asked how our food was. The band playing made up for our horrible service bc they were good. Breakfast in the morning was horrible. The eggs tasted awful and the hot stuff was terrible. The only thing I enjoyed was the coffee and the waffle maker you can use to make your own waffles. Needless to say for 180.00 and our first night away from our baby was not good at all! I will however continue to go here to eat bc this was the first time we have had bad service

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank 258Sara
Kevin O, Guest Relations Manager at D. Hotel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded August 2, 2013

I want to apologize for your disappointing experience both at the D.Hotel & Suites and Delaney's Grill. I would like to, personally, thank you for bringing this to our attention. At the D.
Hotel and Suites every review is very important to us and we do apologize your stay was not as you expected. Our Housekeeping department was made aware of this specific review. It is very apparent your room did not live up to the standards we strive to achieve for every guest stay. Our goal is to make every guest feel comfortable from the moment they arrive until the very moment they depart. We would appreciate the opportunity to show you this on your next stay. Your concerns about the restaurant next door were passed on to the appropriate people and are being addressed accordingly.

Thank You for your feedback.
Linda Rosskothen, Proprietor

There are newer reviews for D. Hotel & Suites

Reviewed July 20, 2013

This was a revisit to this hotel to give it one more try. We reserved a king suite and got a very nice room with a wonderful king bed with 2 pillows each! Soft pillows so we needed 2. I stress this was a really nice room. It included a kitchenette. We had a cooktop, sink, dishes and an apartment size fridge which froze some ice for us overnight. I have no complaints! The room was super clean and smelled good. The nicest thing about this visit was the hotel wasn't overbooked, it was quiet and the front desk staff was very polite and helpful. This is a great location for a hotel, close to UMASS Amherst and the Yankee candle store in south Deerfield which is a must visit at least twice a year for me.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Rosemr
Reviewed July 8, 2013 via mobile

We were unsure about the location of this hotel as we wanted to be closer to Amherst, but there was a big lacrosse tournament at UMass so we wound up at the D as many of the hotels in the area were full.

First, the service was excellent. Staff promptly addressed our needs (laundry service, late checkout) and were very courteous.

Our room was clean, spacious and had good air conditioning, which was important in the 90+ degree weather.

The general areas of the hotel were overrun with little boy lacrosse players, so we skipped out on the pool, breakfast, etc., but it all looked pretty good.

Overall I was happy with this place and would certainly stay there again if we were in the area.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed June 25, 2013

I booked our stay in March of this year for our June stay. A couple of weeks prior to our trip we received an email with our room confirmation from D. Hotel. Nothing was stated in the subject line or body of the email that the hotel had changed names - just in on the attachment. Glad I opened it and not just discard it otherwise we would never had known what hotel to look for. Although every Country Inn and Suites I had stayed in prior was always outstanding, this one was not. Not sure if that was why the D.Hotel purchased this property, but it was a bit disappointing. Our room's carpeting was disgusting. Where the carpet mets the wall it was black all the way around the room. The wallpaper was yellowed and falling off everywhere. I saw renovations being done and hopefully this will fix these issues, but for a hotel that is new and wasn't full for the night we were there perhaps they could have filled the rooms that were newly renovated first before sticking us in the old rooms, just because we had a cheaper rate from the previous hotel.

Room Tip: ask for a newly remodeled room.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Karen C
Kevin O, Guest Relations Manager at D. Hotel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded June 28, 2013

We are sorry you were not satisfied with your stay. You raise valid points and we are working hard to fix these issues. You are 100% right in your assessment. We purchased this property on April 16th of this year with the sole purpose of giving it the renovations that were desperately needed. During your stay room renovations had just started. We were unable to put you in one of our new rooms because they were still being put together. We will continue to upgrade the property and make it a state of the art boutique hotel. We do hope you will give us another chance, we are working very hard to do the right thing!. We know you will be pleased with the new renovations, room features, and atmosphere the D. Hotel and Suites strives to attain. Thank You for your feedback.

Linda Rosskothen, Proprietor

Reviewed May 30, 2013

My rating is based on customer service, not on the actual facility because, unfortunately, we were not able to stay here. We arrived late on the night of our reservation, which had originally been booked through the old management (Country Inn & Suites), to find that they did not have our reservation. I had called a week earlier and been assured that we did have a reservation, but for some reason, there was no record of it when we arrived. They not only made alternate arrangements for us, but picked up the cost of that room. Now, I figure it was not their fault that the reservation was wiped out when the hotel transferred management, but they took care of us anyway. I am impressed and will plan to stay here the next time we pass through.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank cbbax14
Reviewed May 28, 2013

I’ve written a lot of reviews, yet this one is rather complicated.
You see, here’s this fine old hotel [along with an attached, well-known restaurant] sitting amid the beautiful country of western Massachusetts—yet the whole operation is now in the hands of new owners [about six weeks ago], and these folks are trying mighty hard to rejuvenate the hotel…but we all know that rejuvenation implies some chaos. So, while the somewhat messy work goes on, let me emphasize the positive:
Good prices. Eager, genial staff. Excellent, popular restaurant [“formal” and “casual” rooms/menus]. Spacious, clean hotel rooms [I know because, during our five-day stay, we were moved around to three different rooms for various reasons]. Reasonably tasty and healthful food at the FREE hot breakfast. Large bathrooms, well-appointed.
The bottom line: I think that the physical restoration of this property is going to end up being excellent, probably before too long. And I’d guess that we’ll stay there again for next year’s visit!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank TexasPadre
Reviewed May 28, 2013

This hotel recently switched names to D Hotel and Suites. I was greeted immediately by a very friendly host who had my room ready and suggested the restaurant next door which was a real bonus. I also ran into other staff, one which offered me an umbrella to make the 30 foot walk to dinner. The room for one was spacious, easy and free wifi, very comfortable King plush bed and ample space for clothing etc. It was quiet all evening and the complimentary breakfast with several usual hot items was very good. It was very rainy and unusually cold and I appreciated all of the accommodations to make it easy to eat an excellent dinner without having to get back in the car. I wish I had more than a one-night stay. Will request this place again when I am traveling on business or leisure time in the area.

Room Tip: My KIng single room was excellent.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Goodsports1
Also consider these accommodations in or near Holyoke
Homewood Suites Holyoke-Springfield/North
La Quinta Inn & Suites Springfield
Comfort Inn
Comfort Inn
#4 of 7 in Hadley

Been to D. Hotel & Suites? Share your experiences!