“Terrible Place to Stay or Board your Pets!”

The Inn at Restful Paws
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Holland
The Inn at Restful Paws
Ranked #2 of 2 Holland B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersGold level
“Terrible Place to Stay or Board your Pets!”
Reviewed August 9, 2013

My husband and I visited Restful Paws regarding boarding our dog in advance of a long-term (9-day) trip for my mother's illness. When we visited the site it was clean and neat outside - impeccably. However, we had a strange feeling when we met and spoke with Maria, who would be taking care of our dog. She seemed very timid, corrected us on several occasions about how we should walk/care for our dog, making us feel ackward. The "kennel" was cute with lattice work but the dogs look onto a block wall for the entire time they are there. Windows are in the room but they are up high.

No water was allowed in the dog's kennels (!). They were only allowed to drink when they were let out of the kennel (always on a leash and never allowed to run free).

We completed the paperwork to board her and the paperwork actually said that they have the right to take our dog to a veterinarian of their choosing instead of our vet, who was 15 minutes away... Also, we were asked to sign a document stating that they could use videos, photos, and any other promotional material using our dog without our knowledge or payment for this free "publicity". I have never heard of this with any other boarding or bed and breakfast.

I started feeling wierd about the whole thing and called to ask Maria what were the owners' full names. She seemed very uncomfortable telling me and asked me why I inquired. I told her that we just wanted to know who is taking care of our dog and that all we knew was the name Maria. She very hesitantly told me that the owners' names are Maria and Raymond Korny. She did not want to tell me their relationship (husband and wife??, friends??). We had never met Raymond and I wasn't sure if we felt comfortable leaving our doggie with someone we had never seen. I did not say this to her but expressed this feeling to my husband.

When my husband arrived - the day of our boarding! - a man appeared who was older and very mean! He yelled at my husband and pointed his finger in my husband's face - which did not go over to well with my husband .. The man did not identify himself (I suppose he is Raymond) and said that WE were not suitable for the boarding and denied the boarding the day of our departure, leaving us in a huge lurch.

I am SO GLAD THAT WE DID NOT BOARD OUR DOGGIE THERE! These people are weird to say the very least!!

Oh, and they are extremely expensive compared to other, wonderful places nearby.

I would instead recommend the Barkwood Inn at Auburn or Precious Furs in Oxford. Both are not too far from Sturbridge and both have nothing to hide!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Bruce W
restfulpaws, Owner at The Inn at Restful Paws, responded to this review, August 16, 2013
Dear Bruce W.

We apologize for your journey of approximate 15-20 miles and for any other inconvenience we caused.
The Staff felt as though you were not comfortable Boarding your dog at Camp Wooffurs ( located on the grounds at The Inn at Restful Paws ) as so stated on your review. We are happy that you found a place to be comfortable with.

Here at Camp Wooffurs we do not point fingers or get in your face. All we hope for is that our guests whether staying at the Inn or Camp Wooffurs is to be satisfied. Thank you from all of us for the positive comment that you pointed out.

God Bless and have a nice day.
The Staff at Camp Wooffurs
Raymond, Barbara and Maria Korny

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Providence, Rhode Island
Reviewed May 26, 2013

We stayed at the Restful Paws and were horribly disappointed by the experience. I had booked
a couple of nights for my wife and our dog, and what was supposed to be a happy anniversary present turned into one of the worst trips we've ever encountered.

You would have imagined an inn that caters to dogs and their owners would have walls that weren't so thin you could hear a fellow guest get up in the middle of the night to use their bathroom...to say nothing of their dogs barking. The prices were absurdly high from the use of their pool, to "pet sitting services," to their cancellation policy. There are asterisks on almost every door in terms of the amount of $ they are going to charge you for anything beyond the room. Be aware this is a very pricey place primarily designed for Boston "city folk" to travel out to the country, and who don't care about the amount of money they're going to be throwing away. That said -- it'd be fine if you were getting something that was worth paying for, but that's not the case here.

In addition to the uncomfortable rooms and non-existing sound proofing goes, add in terrible food. The first morning we were there, the food was pretty decent, but the next day looked like leftovers from the prior night's dinner the owners had. One pouch said "Potato Rounds" and was filled with day-old tater tots. What was described as if it were a danish was a Little Debbie snack cake that had been cut up and put in a ziplock bag. Apparently, as we were the only guests there the second night, nobody felt the need to actually produce anything of note for us.

The concept that the Restful Paws is stressing is obviously something that would appeal to dog owners everywhere...but it's more stressful than restful, and definitely not something I would recommend.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank rodan4242
truthlove
Reviewed January 12, 2013

My husband and I just spent an awesome time at restful paws with our 3 Pomeranians. The pricing was more than fair and the breakfast was awesome. Our one Pom has some behavior issues since she was a rescue and she seemed to do just fine.swimming was so fun and my husband and I had a blast watching them in the pool. Can't wait to go back.

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank truthlove
New Britain
Reviewed February 3, 2012

My dog Emma and I just got back from the most delightful 2 night stay at the Inn at Restful Paws in Holland MA. What a unique and wonderful experience this was. Everything at the Inn and the surrounding grounds are geared for you and your dog to have a great time. There are trails to hike on and Rosie B's has a bone shaped indoor pool (for dogs only) that Emma really enjoyed. After her swim, Emma was dried with hot towels! Now I know what they mean by a dog's life!!! Ray, Barbara and Maria are outstanding hosts and we were made to feel so welcome (like family), that we didn't want to leave! The place is immaculate. No doggie odor or hair anywhere. Plus, they've thought of everything, as only true dog lovers can. The waste baskets in the rooms are all covered, so that the dogs can't get in the garbage and a heavy duty flashlight is kept right by the door in case you have to take your pooch out for a late night potty run. The windows in the common area were built low to the ground so little dogs can prop themselves up and check out the scenery! The rooms are all tastefully decorated and the beds are very comfy. Just ask Emma. She slept...well...like a dog! Dog Moms and Dads are treated like royalty too. Each morning I was given a basket of food which included assorted muffins, hot breakfast or lunch items, fruit and juice. Very yummy! Coffee is available in your room. The basket was so elegantly set up. Everything was wrapped and labeled individually. Emma even got a little doggie muffin each morning which had her name right on the wrapper! Did she look forward to that! It's personal touches like this that rate the Inn at Restful Paws # 1 with us. If you're like me and enjoying traveling with your dog, check this place out. You won't be sorry! Thanks again for everything you guys and keep the light on for us! We will definitely be back.

Love,
Linda and Emma

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank AHappyTraveler55
Jupiter, Florida
Reviewed September 9, 2011

Last minute reservations from our car placed us at this clean, friendly and very, very dog friendly B&B. The accommodations were immaculately clean well decorated as each room has different theme. Doggy towels, feeding bowls, bed covers in case your pup likes to sleep on the bed with you and trails in the beautiful woodland to walk with your pet and commune with nature. Very tasty breakfast basket for us that included a special treat for each of our dogs with their names on it. I cannot get over the love and attention Barbara, Marie and Ray have invested in this special relaxing low key home away from home place for us and our dogs.

We will definitely be back and I would highly recommend it. Make reservations as it does not have a large number of rooms and were so lucky there was room at this Inn.

Room Tip: Ocean Breeze is slightly smaller than the other rooms. We managed fine with two Cavaliers