“Delightful!”

Maine Attraction
Ranked #2 of 3 Restaurants in Holland
Cuisines: American
Reviewed July 30, 2014

Shortly after my very recent move to Massachusetts my banker recommended Maine Attraction. The lobster roll is beyond fantastic. They have a great list of ice cream flavors, and it's lovely sit outside just across the road from the lake. A friend came to visit & after our two side-trips to Maine Attraction she arranged to visit again before they close for the season. I've already been there at least 8 times, and the staff that I've met has gone out of their way to be fun & welcoming. What a fun (and tasty) find this turned out to be!

3  Thank Steph L

Reviewed July 6, 2014

I am a year round Holland resident and have tried to support local businesses but will not ever go to the Maine attraction again. The woman that owns the place is very rude. One time I went to the walk up window one hot afternoon and ordered 25 dollars worth of over priced food and was wailing at the window when 3 of my friends pulled into the parking. We chatted for a minute and they went in for a sit down meal. When my order was ready I took it inside to eat with my friends and the owner yelled at me twice telling me that I couldn't eat inside because I ordered it outside! The place was empty inside except for us!! I was never so imbarrased in my life. She also has a very large lot adjacent to her drive in and when people try to park there she gives them grief about it. It's not like the place is packed or anything she's just has a mean streak. I don't think she realizes that these people are people that frequent her restaurant all the time and she has is rude to them. I personally know 25 people that will never patronize the place and know that they won't be around for long with that attitude.

7  Thank Ray L
SeaSideGrill-OOB, Owner at Maine Attraction, responded to this reviewResponded July 7, 2014

First, I would like to say that I sincerely regret your unfortunate experience. It is never my intention to offend anyone when I let them know about our full service dining room. The reason we have the dining room open to guests is to offer an alternative to our take out window. If someone comes in after ordering outside, it is our policy to let them know that they are welcome to sit, and that in the future it would be appreciated if they order inside. I don't yell at the customer, and I only mention it once. (I never say this and run away, and I am dismayed that you did not express any of your feelings at the time.) Many factors have brought us to this policy. I assume, perhaps too quickly, that the guest is unaware of the full service dining option. Next time they visit, they will be able to sit, and have their food brought to them as opposed to standing in line. It also helps the server to keep the patrons happy - they are able to greet and seat people, stagger the menus/meals/drinks, check up on tables so that no one feels ignored or abandoned. This way it is possible for them to earn the tip that our society has decided is proper for them to earn as compensation for serving people and cleaning up after them. If a guest comes in from outside with food, this balance is lost. The guests who are unaware of the policy, and order outside and then move in to a table, tend to go to the kitchen door to ask for ketchup, look though the waitress station for silverware, or throw their trash away in the bathroom waste basket, which is not large enough for a dinner plate. While the dining room is not always full, we do inform people of the policy each time this occurs in an effort to be consistent. Guests at the window are asked if they would like their food packaged to go, or on a tray to eat outside. There are signs on the counters and in the windows, stating that we have a full service dining room with a waitress on staff, and that they can proceed inside. I would be happy to discuss this policy with you more at your convenience, and possibly hear your suggestions.
We do have an adjacent lot, and have an agreement with many people who have asked to park there to go boating, for a walk, carpool, or watch a local event. It is respectful to ask permission and let us know a car is being left in our private lot, especially since it is posted customer parking only. We let them know the best spot to leave the car, and they appreciate it. After cars were left overnight, and other people flooded the lot for their own use, we began leaving a note on the vehicle that this is a private lot. No one has ever been towed, and we try to talk to people if we are able to catch them. I don't think it's too much to ask a property owner if I may use their lot, and where my vehicle will be out of the way. Again, I would love to know how you feel we could handle this better, since we don't want to offend any one. I look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed July 4, 2014

We recently moved to Holland and were excited to find a spot to take our family of 5 to that was yummy, and close! From the first visit I noticed that our waitress (the owner) wasn't very fond of children... We have 3... But didn't think it was that big of a deal. After several visits for dinner and icecream I noticed that she was very cold to us and quite rude when it came to my son who is a year old (especially when waiting for food because we was enjoying our night out and looking at the decorations around the room and saying hi if any customers were there). Tonight we decided to go for icecream and were hugely disappointed by 1. Having to pay for a second cone after my one scoop with a broken edge of the cone fell on the ground after 2 licks and 2. Pretty much being told to either sit down or leave when my family (and visitors) walked into the seating area to get out of the rain because our daughter was cold! There were 2 tables of people, one of which was smiling and admiring my son as he pointed to the fish on the wall and made "talk" in his own language while the rest of our family stood aside (2 sitting down) as they enjoyed their icecream.

I have NEVER been made to feel more unwelcome in a place in my life!! We have been to dinner at least 5 times, gotten icecream a few times as well, and have gotten tshirts for the kids to support the local business!!!
I guess THIS is the thanks we get!! I would think they'd want you to feel "at home" instead of unwelcome.

If you have children, DONT BOTHER TAKING THEM HERE if you want to go inside!!!

10  Thank Mamarocketf
Reviewed June 28, 2014

Clean, friendly and the food was great! Friendly customers and staff. Food was fresh and nicely presented.

5  Thank Ann Y
Reviewed June 24, 2014

A roadside gem in Holland, MA. Fresh seafood delivered from Maine expertly prepared with a light touch. Haddock, scallops, shrimp; excellent New England clam chowder; lovely salads; and Giffords ice cream also from Maine. Not to be missed.

7  Thank ts032711