“Union Fish,Hingham”

Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed August 7, 2014

Went for dinner before a movie. Basic patio but nice to be outside. Appetizers v good, Spicey lump crab fonduta and smoked bluefish pate.Entrees tasty as well - Faroe island salmon.

Reviewed August 5, 2014

This was our 2nd time dining here. The first time we enjoyed it last summer and just recently on a Friday evening. This is not a romantic spot I have to say, tables close together and no special ambiance, but overall great food. We got there at 7pm and seat right away with no reservation, although it was quite busy. We wanted to sit outside and dine as it was a mild evening, but the music from the shipyard was as bit loud, and felt we would have been yelling just to hear each other. Not sure if they have live music every Friday nite in the summer, but I think the same thing happened last summer. Actually, we did sit outside last summer and the music from Walburgers was also playing so loud along with the live music by the harbor, that it was somewhat irritating. Nevertheless, this time we sat inside, hostess was pleasant. Didn't care for the cheap paper white table cloths, which made an annoying crumpling sound during dinner, but put that annoyance aside. We ordered 2 tropical cocktails which were very good. Our caesar salads came out quick, and oddly enough there were fresh bacon cumbles on the salad. I like bacon, but found it odd to put on that kind of salad, regardless, it was good, but if I went back, would nix the topping. The sourdough bread was very fresh and came with a chili pepper whipped butter that was a sweet mildly spicy flavor and excellent. My entree were the broiled scallops, mashed parsnips with a pickled type of onion. I have to say it was fantastic, although my only complaint was that some of the scallops were really small, and others of average size. Considering the cost of the entree, I would expect all the scallops to be of average size. My husband had the salmon and was very content with his entree. While we wanted to try the key lime pie and creme brulee, we were much too full. The atmosphere was ok - nothing special - there were a few tv's showing sports, baseball and tennis. There was only 1 bathroom for the ladies, which was a bit annoying, waiting to see when it was free, and of course, someone kept going in before I had the chance to get in. Overall, a delicious dinner and I would certainly go back.

Reviewed July 22, 2014

Ate here a second time to give it a fair chance. Nope. There's a reason that all the other Shipyard eateries have wait times and Union Fish doesn't. It's just not a good seafood place. The food quality ranges from ok to no way.

Reviewed July 22, 2014

I revisited this seafood restaurant with my parents and teenager. I hadn't been to this eating establishment since March. Our last dining experience was GREEEAT. Everyone in our party of 12 loved their entrees and the service was outstanding, HOWEVER the second time was not very good at all. We all ordered app's. Our salads had mostly lettuce with a very minuscule amount of beets, tomatoes, and dressing. Needless to say it was bland and tasteless. I had the shrimp cerviche which our waiter raved about and said it was one of the best app's however it too was bland and the shrimp was overcooked and rubbery. (YUK). Our entrees were bland with no seasoning on the swordfish and salmon. My mom had fish and chips which she described as soggy and lukewarm.

Mind you it was a Tuesday early evening and it wasn't busy however the service was sloooow. It was a hot evening and we had lukewarm drinks with NO ice.(we actually had to ask for ice in our drinks) Also, it should be noted that every ice tea I had I got charged for. (it was in a juice glass no less with NO ICE TOOO). When our bill came I was shocked they charged us a pretty hefty $$$ for such medicore food and drinks.

I was very disappointed with this dining experience and probably won't be back anytime soon.

1  Thank Argusmom
Reviewed July 22, 2014

My wife and I tried this place for lunch recently. Their is plenty of free parking nearby. It is right across the street from the water but no water view. We sat outside as it was a beautiful day and it's a great place for people watching. The area is home to Whalburgers, Alma Nove, Hingham Beer Works, Stone Hearth Pizza, A Thai place and numerous businesses.

We started with the White Bean Humus. It was delicious. The pieces of triangle shaped bread were warm and the humus had onion, apple and goat cheese in it. I had Fish Tacos. Two come with lunch with homemade chips or fries. They were good. My wife had the Lobster Grilled Cheese. She said it was good. She had to take home the other half as the sandwich was a good size.

The service was fine. The waitress was attentive, refilled water without being asked, checked on us twice and went out of her way to check on gluten free issues.