“Really not as bad as some of the other reviews say”

Wompatuck State Park
Ranked #2 of 15 things to do in Hingham
Montreal, QC
43 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 110 helpful votes
“Really not as bad as some of the other reviews say”
Reviewed August 23, 2013

I don’t understand some of the previous reviews and why this place has such a bad reputation on here.

First of all let’s get things straight as some of the things mentioned in the other reviews are true. Yes a big portion of the park is closed and Yes several washrooms are also closed however all of those closed washrooms are in closed sections of the park. There is only one way in the park, the 2nd entrance (turning right from the camp ground) is closed, you can use the road to get to other parts of the park and other trails but you cannot exit or enter from that direct like your GPS would want you to do. The main gate to the park is in fact unmanned, drive right in, go past the welcome center and straight to the campground to your right where you will need to check in.

This review pertains to the non-electric tent sites.

Now that that’s cleared up, this is a camp ground and not a hotel. If we compare the current installations to other campgrounds in the USA I would say that they stack up fairly well. The washrooms were cleaned on both days that we spent at Wompatuck. How do I know? I went there twice around 9am and a lady had parked her truck in front of the entrance and was cleaning the place, moping the floors and was redirecting everyone to the other washroom.

The washrooms were more than clean enough for my posh standards, the showers were free and had hot water. The men’s washroom had 4 sinks, 3 showers, 2 urinals and 3 stalls. The alternate washroom on P road did have a broken sink and lower shower heads but it was still very acceptable. The camp sites were great, wooded and private compared to some other state parks that barely have any tree’s. I greatly enjoyed the sites at this location.

You can still navigate the closed portions of the park, we drove thru them in our car and saw a lot of nice wildlife and even a large deer about one row away from our tent site. Note that some roads in the closed section now have low clearance due to overgrowth and you do need to zig zag your way around branches, it’s easily feasible with a car but probably not so much with a truck. If this park had better funding it would truly be a great place to visit. There are several walking and cycling trails everywhere around the park.

Proximity to Boston here is key, for $14 a night with easy access to the city by car or by subway with the Red T line you honestly can’t ask for anything better. There is also an urban mall about 5-10 minutes away (by car) with a grocery store, restaurants and common stores.

The only negative comment I have is do not plan for a quick check in. We had pre-booked online hoping to save time but when we arrived there was only 1 person doing the check in and a line of about 5-6 people had formed. It took us about 30-45minutes to get thru the line and get checked in. Luckily there was a park ranger helping out and taking care of the people who simply wanted to buy wood. There were several people in the main building and in my opinion they should have opened up a second check in lane.

Overall this was a great park, awesome price and offers easy access to Boston. I wouldn’t mind coming back here at all.

Visited August 2013
8 Thank FieroAlex

hull, ma
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Magical woods”
Reviewed July 29, 2013

This is a wonderful place to walk with your dog, or to contemplate nature. Every time I come here, I find something new to see or listen to. A very healing place.

3 Thank riski
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Camping area:Sanitary blocks: a DUMP”
Reviewed July 9, 2013

One sanitary block is out of order, but Mass DCR rents sites And do not advise clients
See. Pictures of one block which is in operation. It is not even at the Level of developping countries.
Too bad the place is nice.
Wont be back

1 Thank Denp46
Boston, Massachusetts
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“You'll be womped by this park”
Reviewed July 8, 2013

The state park entrance in Hingham is only a few miles from my place, so I have a bias.

I haven't camped here, I swore off camping in Eastern Massachusetts in the 80's because all the campgrounds are full of party people, one has to go at least 100 miles from Boston to escape its influence and have peace and quiet.

I enjoy Wompatuck as a daytripper and a consumer of Mt Blue Spring water, since Hingham & Hull public water supply tastes funny, but Mt. Blue Spring water is delightful and free, I take 15 gallons every run. Mt Blue was commercial prior to WW2, when the military took over the area, and after the war when it was turned into the present state park the spring was made public. There are miles of paved trails in the park perfect for leisurely bike riding, but also rougher trails for you mountain bike enthusiasts. There never seems to be a lot of people there, I think people are losing interest in the woods, thank goodness.

3 Thank craig_and_donna
West New York, New Jersey
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Bathrooms are a complete mess”
Reviewed July 6, 2013

We arrived yesterday evening and built up the tent (after we had to clean the trash from the guys who had the tent space before we did) while being bitten by mosquitos all over our body. When we wanted to go to the bathroom to take a shower this turned out to be a complete mess. The washbowls, which used to be white once (maybe 10 years ago), are now gray-black and completely raunchy, the toilets felt like not cleaned this season at all (it's July now), it was horrible. We left the same night and went into a hotel. A pity we already payed for two nights (from which we used none) and one bunch of firewood (unused, too).
It's obviously clear why this park is so inexpensive.

2 Thank Freddy_791