“Great burgers, always a little slow”
Review of Wahlburgers

Wahlburgers
Ranked #3 of 71 Restaurants in Hingham
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
“Great burgers, always a little slow”
Reviewed December 25, 2012 via mobile

We loved it here and will definitely be back.

The staff was really nice, but everything moved pretty slowly. I say it's worth the wait...just be ready to wait.

Boston, Massachusetts
“Disappointed”
Reviewed December 20, 2012

I've been to Wahlburgers several times since they opened, but the last time I went there with my daughter (12/15/2012), I was very disappointed. My burger seemed thinner than ever and so salty that's all I could taste for hours afterwards. My daughter had a turkey burger that was tough, not how it was when they first opened, and I noticed her taking bits of what looked like bone or gristle from it and putting it on her plate. The frappe was good, and the size just right, but it was very overpriced at $4.65. Tater tots good but, again, very salty. While I used to recommend Wahlburgers, I no longer think it's worth the trip.

• Visited December 2012
Boston, Massachusetts
“Best Burger In MA? Quite Possibly”
Reviewed November 30, 2012

Decided to hit up Wahlburgers randomly on a Saturday night with Erick H. and after a 35 minute drive from Somerville, we arrived in the large shopping area known as the Hingham Shipyard and drove around until we finally found it. We didn't really know what to expect, especially since the reviews on here are mixed. I was pretty nervous, thinking that it would be overpriced, tacky and average at best but to our surprise, it was actually pretty damn tasty.

I really liked the color theme which is grey, green and yellow and upon walking in was impressed by how clean and organized the place was but was also quite disappointed as to how small it was. When I saw the pictures, the place looked a lot bigger. Doesn't really matter though, I'm here for the food. We were immediately greeted by a hostess who told us that on the left is the area where we can either sit at the bar or at one of the community tables and where a waitress will take care of us; on the right side however you order and seat yourself, waiting for the pager to go off. The place not being too busy, we took a left and managed to snag two seats at the bar.

We ordered up a couple of the happily renamed Wahlbrewskies which are Harpoon's unfiltered ales which are simply renamed and ordered away: we got some sweet potato tater tots ($3) to share and I got a double decker burger ($6.95) which featured two 3 oz. burgers with some lettuce, tomato, pickles and onion. Oh and some wahl sauce.

Let me just start by saying that while I'm not 100% sure what's in the sweet potato tots, I left convinced that there had to be some highly addictive drug in there; heroin? Crack cocaine? Not sure but either way we inhaled those things in seconds and they were very good.

Secondly, the burgers, much to my surprise were very good. Not as good as In-N-Out but possibly the best I've had in Boston. Maybe I lucked out? Maybe it was wishful thinking to justify the long drive? Nope, the roommate agreed. We both thoroughly enjoyed our burgers. We swaped the government cheese for some blue cheese and added some bacon, which obviously helped a bit but the meat patties were juicy and tasty, the wahl sauce was solid and the buns weren't soggy. The whole thing wasn't messy either which was nice and best of all, it easily fit i my mouth. The lettuce was thinly sliced in a chiffonade which was a nice touch which you don't often see around these parts. A solid, solid choice and an affordable one at that.

There's some interesting elements in the menu, ones that I might need to check out. Mark Wahlberg's choice apparently is the Thanksgiving Burger which features turkey patties with some stuffing, some orange cranberry sauce, some roasted butternut squash and some mayo. There's also some hot dogs and some $12 adult milkshakes which I didn't try but apparently are good as well.

Then there's a few things that bothered me: the whole place is an homage to the Wahlbergs which I didn't think added anything to the experience and in fact made it tacky. Honestly, under a regular name and without their endorsements, I'm convinced that this place would succeed. The quality of their food is that good and the price point is spot on. Another thing too is that near the entrance is a case full of really tacky items that you can buy which feature the Wahlburgers logo. Shoes, hats, t-shirts and stuff; does this mean that they are trying to build a chain? I kind of hope not. I found it unnecessary. And then the divide between the self-service and the full service is confusing and also creates a weird segmentation which I found awkward, especially on my very first visit. Why not make the entire place one or the other? Oh and while you're at it, add a few more community tables maybe, there's only like 3-4 of them...

That being said the place was great and I'd definitely drive down again in the future to get a burger fix. Despite some conceptual issues, what matters most is their food and they did a great job. I left happy and impressed.

• Visited October 2012
Texas
“Great Burger!”
Reviewed November 14, 2012

We went because of who owns it and was excited that the burgers were great! The sweat potato tator tots were awesome! I love the location of the restaurant. After lunch or dinner you can walk around and check out the views. Not to far from Boston, maybe 15 minutes. Next time we are in Boston, we will go back.

• Visited October 2012
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
“don't believe the hype”
Reviewed November 5, 2012

basic burger at a high price in an industrial atmosphere. Its not bad but certainly not special. It was PACKED and an o.k. place to take young kids. All in all I left feeling ripped off. Take out counter service is just that, self service. It doesn't matter who owns it. They need to do some more innovating on the menu to make it worth the money.

Visited September 2012