“A little rough for the wheel chair.”

Hampton Inn Haverhill
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Haverhill
GreenLeadersBronze level
Henderson, Nevada, United States
“A little rough for the wheel chair.”
Reviewed October 23, 2013

Very nice room and the size of the room was OK. It was the smallest out of the 3 Hampton Inn Hotels we have stayed at and the price was the same. The bed is mounted to close to the wall for the wheel chair to go up the left side for the quadriplegic transfer that we needed. I was a little surprised at the price for a hotel that was out in the middle of nowhere. We also had the room next to the stairwell and could hear the door slam every time someone walked through it.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Michigan
Reviewed October 21, 2013

Note that I stayed in January 2013, and I'm writing this in October. I'm a procrastinator. Some of my experiences may not apply anymore, but I wanted to review anyway.

I'm not exactly a world traveler but I have to say I was quite impressed with this place. I booked 2 King rooms with a fridge, which were a very decent rate. January in Haverhill probably isn't exactly peak season, but we paid around $100/night and I've paid more for much less in the past.

Location: Near a Dunkin and a McDonalds, that's pretty much it. It's not walking distance from downtown, which is pretty typical of hotel chains, but it's a very short drive to everything. Great for jumping in your car and going just about anywhere. Personally, I hate driving. Not being in a central location is what cost them a star. But if you're just looking for a quick place to crash overnight and not making Haverhill your destination, this isn't a problem. It's quiet and very convenient to the freeway.

Staff: Everyone I saw was young, but they tried to be as helpful as possible. Friendly without being overbearing. If you want conversation and personal touches, go to a B&B. I like hotel staff to be hands-off but available when I need something, and this place delivered just that.

Breakfast: Continental (yogurts, breads, a couple hot dishes, all buffet style), free, and there was plenty to go around. Again, I didn't go during a busy season so this may not be a typical experience. My companion raved about the waffles so much that I made sure to try them. They weren't to my taste but they cooked up fine and people were lined up for the waffle-maker (if they haven't already, they should probably invest in one or two more just to make things move quicker) so I have a feeling I'm just picky :)

Rooms: Spotless, plenty of towels and washcloths (we chose not to have housekeeping every day for sleeping/privacy reasons, but I assume they replace them daily if people don't request otherwise). The room was pretty big, the bathroom was standard - the showerhead was actually the exact same one I have in my apartment. The bed was amazingly comfortable, best sleep I'd had in months - but I love soft beds. If you prefer firm mattresses, you may not like it. Pillows were too fluffy for me and I think they're feather, which I don't love. For being winter, the room got decently warm. And there was a mini fridge which is pretty small, but good for leftovers (we got a pretty big meal from Giovanni's and our leftovers fit, but it was tight. By the way, I highly recommend the restaurant and they deliver to the hotel).

Amenities: There's a store in the lobby and some vending machines. Obviously everything is overpriced, welcome to hotel convenience. If it means that much to you, there are 24 hour shops and gas stations nearby. I don't go to hotels with the intention of spending tons of time there, so I can't speak for any other amenities. But I do know that the wifi sucked. It was free though and you get what you pay for. The tv was okay, not as many channels as I would have liked and no dvd player but this isn't a 5 star hotel so I didn't expect perfection.

Overall, I had a great experience. I intend to stay there again on future visits and I hope they continue to exceed my expectations!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Mentor, Ohio
Reviewed October 20, 2013

This is a well maintained facility...good pool and exercise facilities...friendly staff, clean comfortable rooms and a good light breakfast. What I liked best is easy access to I-495, which get one to Boston in about 45 minutes (weekends) and the Coast in 30 minutes.

Magnolia, United States
Reviewed October 20, 2013

We were greeted by friendly staff, quickly given our key, found the room to be particularly clean, fresh and quiet. Enjoyed a restful night before departing after a good cup of coffee and breakfast. Hotel was easy to locate and exit with several signs posted.

Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Rumford, Maine
Reviewed October 19, 2013

We would have liked to give this Hampton a "5". It deserves it on many important travel elements. However, We cannot overlook the glaring lack of 'hospitality'. If you are in the hospitality business, hospitable service is an expected requirement. We stayed here twice within a two month period, and received the same lack of front desk service each time.

Before we detail the negative service, let me say this hotel excels in many areas. The rooms and lobby feel newly remodeled and very clean. The bathrooms are tiled, have granite counters, and brushed nickel faucets. The beds are among the most comfortable we've stayed in, including higher end hotels. The complementary contintental breakfast provides a variety of hot and cold items which were monitored and re-stocked quickly. There was ample seating -- usually a problem at many Hamptons and other 3-star hotels. There is complementary 24 hour coffee and "yes" it was hot and fresh at 11pm. Free wi-fi is always a bonus and the business area was convenient. The location is conveniently off the highway and 20 minutes to Newburyport MA or Hampton Beach NH. The room rate is a best-vaue which makes this location an attractive alternative to the $200+ you'll find closer to Portsmouth (30min) or Boston (40 min).

Now, for the only negative factor. We have stayed at many Hamptons throughout the US and have always received exceptional front desk service, so the service received here is atypical. If this occurred once, we can overlook it. But when it happens twice within two months, with different staff and different managers on duty, this is a behavior that needs to be addressed.

We stayed in August after a concert in Hampton Beach and in October after a day at the Fall Festival in Newburyport MA. Both nights we arrived about 11pm. Both times we arrived to an empty desk. Not entirely unusal for that hour. However ...

In August there were 2 employees standing in the doorway to the office behind the desk. We were party of four and for 5 minutes we stood there, ignored. Not a glance, or an "I'll be right with you". After 5 minutes, one employee came towards us and stared. No "Welcome to Hampton", no "Can I help you" ... After staring back for 30 seconds, I blinked and said "I have a reservation". During the check-in process, the 'manager-on-duty' (name badge) came out of the business area and stood next to us and reached for a stapler beihnd the desk. Also, no greeting or an acknowledgement glance! Shame!

In October, we stood at an empty desk for 5 minutes, before the manager on duty appeared out of the back room. Again, we received the silent treatment, and played the same staring game -- this time I was in a hurry and caved, offering my name after 15 seconds. During the check-in process, there was no smile, no warmth, and after receiving a rapid-fire, by rote, gold member gift greeting we headed to our room.

In over 30 years of traveling, this is without question, the worst front desk welcome I have experienced. If you make it past the front desk issues, the hotel does everything else right.

2 Thank JandK1958
Bonita Springs, Florida
Reviewed October 19, 2013

Did not receive my wake up call two days in a row. Had to ask for my bill the morning I was checking out from the front desk, instead of recieving it under the door to my room the night before. Airconditioner system not up to standards with selected room temperature.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Bonavista, Canada
Reviewed October 18, 2013

Situated Just off the I495 ... Great for an overnight stay. I thought it was very reasonably priced for the services offered. ... Clean, comfortable rooms and friendly and helpful receptionist. Nice breakfast included. Thought is was good value for the money.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Haverhill
Best Western Merrimack Valley
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Boston - Andover
Red Roof Inn Salem
Red Roof Inn Salem
#2 of 4 in Salem

Been to Hampton Inn Haverhill? Share your experiences!