“Adequate Best Western -- large and busy though”

Best Western Merrimack Valley
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Haverhill
GreenLeadersBronze level
loveslakes
“Adequate Best Western -- large and busy though”
Reviewed August 9, 2011

Room was two queens with fridge/microwave and adequate for our needs. we were on ground floor front (interior access) and could hear the people walking around upstairs and kids playing on back lawn which was large. Breakfast was adequate but with such a large hotel it was very crowded and ran out of things or had back-ups at the toaster and wafflemaker. Seating was virtually all round tables of two some of which were in the hall. Someone brought their dog to breakfast but at least stayed in the hall. Nothing memorable but adequate. Hallways are dark and un-airconditioned, although carpeting and treatments look fairly new, hotel styling is dated.

Room Tip: Rear facing rooms may be quieter front faces parking lot.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank loveslakes
BWMV, General Manager at Best Western Merrimack Valley, responded to this review, August 16, 2011
Dear PembrokeMaine,

I greatly appreciate your feedback here on our TripAdvisor page. We are glad to be a large enough hotel to host so many great guests at once in our town. Since our breakfast is free, it certainly is a popular amenity for our hotel. We hope you will stay with us again and we will try and put you on a higher floor, or in a different section of the hotel. If you would like to discuss any further feedback, feel free to email me at steve@bwmerrimackvalley.com. Thanks again for giving us feedback and hope to see you again!

Steve Kerrigan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Pitman, New Jersey
Reviewed July 29, 2011

While travelling in New England visting relatives, my sister and I needed a nice, but reasonably priced, hotel in the northern suburbs of Boston for a one-night stay. I didn't spend much time searching online, just needed something on short notice. I booked a double queen room, including breakfast, for $119. The room was clean, roomy and nicely decorated and the bathroom was updated. The beds were comfortable, with good quality linens and decent pillows. Also, despite the fact that the hotel seemed to be pretty full and there were a lot of families with children, the room was very quiet, apparently well sound-proofed. The complimentary breakfast was typical of chain hotels - bagels, muffins, toast, waffles (waffle machine), cereal, fruit. Not great, but enough to get you going for the day. When going through the same area on our way home a few days later, we decided to stay here again rather than take a chance on a different hotel. They didn't have any rooms with two beds available, so we took a king room, but it was actually even nicer that that the double queen room. We didn't have time to check out the pool or hot tub. I would stay here again and recommend it to others as a good choice for a stopover.

Room Tip: There was construction going on across the road from the hotel. Sections B abnd D are toward the ba...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
BWMV, General Manager at Best Western Merrimack Valley, responded to this review, August 2, 2011
Dear pinetree817,

We greatly appreciate you taking the time to let us know about your recent stay at out hotel and that you had such a great experience. Receiving feedback from our guests is always welcome and we’re very glad to receive a review like yours. We are happy that you have stayed with us multiple times and look forward to seeing you again soon! We hope on your next stay you will stay for a couple nights so you can experience the pool and other amenities we offer. Have a great summer!

Valparaiso, Indiana
Reviewed July 11, 2011

Nice, very clean hotel located near shopping and dining and only about a 5-10 minute drive to downtown Haverhill. The room was adequate and contained a window that could be opened which was nice. It appeared that some rooms had balconies. Another nice feature was the free in room internet. The breakfast was so-so. The fresh fruit looked like it came from a can and there was only kid’s style yogurt available. The majority of the breakfast spread focused largely on starchy foods. I didn't have the opportunity to try the workout room or pool; however they both looked clean and well maintained.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
BWMV, General Manager at Best Western Merrimack Valley, responded to this review, July 22, 2011
Dear Guest,
We are very grateful for your review and glad you had such an enjoyable stay at our property. Our location makes us a great hotel for your business trips. We look forward to having you again and greatly appreciate your feedback.

Thurmont, Maryland
Reviewed July 11, 2011

Staff was nice but hotel needs updating. Bathroom was not cleaned well, hair in the tub, dried on something in the tub, dirty corners and dirty fingerprints all over the hair dryer. Pool area looked nice but didn't have time to use it. Breakfast area was adequate and workers constantly restocked the food.

We did not feel comfortable here due to the location. Surrounding area is seedy. Was glad to see a security guard patrolling indoors and out at night but at the same time was uncomfortable to be in a place that needed this.

The hotel is home to many Section 8 families. I talked to a few at breakfast. In the morning there are people wandering around to each others rooms in their pajamas and at night they are all outside hanging out in the parking lot. It was a little uncomfortable to have to walk through a crowd of people to get to the door.

I didn't pay much for our room because I booked through Hotwire, which I was very glad for. If I paid the regular hotel rate I would have been pretty upset because it really wasn't worth that price.

There is only two hotels in this city and I have now tried them both. My family lives on the other end of town (in the nicer section) and I was really hoping to stay close to them. I just didn't feel safe at either hotels and will look to other areas for my next stay. I would rather have a drive than stay somewhere that makes me nervous, especially since my children are with me.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Dear travelclanof4,

We appreciate you taking the time to give us feedback on your recent stay with us. Our guests’ satisfaction and safety are our number one priorities. We have staff on call at all times to replace anything or assist you in any needs with your room in case something was missed. Did you speak with anyone at the front desk to request this? We feel our property is in a great location and have a security guard for guests’ safety and assistance regardless of any surrounding area. I have taken this feedback to our team as we always strive for continued ways to serve our guests better. I hope you will consider staying with us again and you may reach out to me personally upon your next stay to ensure everything is taken care of. We hope to see you again soon!

steve@bwmerrimackvalley.com

Travelers are raving about these Haverhill hotels

Port Orange, Florida
Reviewed June 19, 2011

Our room smelled really Really bad ! Went to front desk i mentioned smell, desk clerk gave me a room deodorizer spray.That did not work. We ended up Switching rooms. Our Next room was not Vacuumed and we found a wallet in chair, took that to front desk. So i take it Room was not completely Cleaned. Well it was late we stayed. ONLY because hotel was Pet Friendly!.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank MaryMacTree
BWMV, General Manager at Best Western Merrimack Valley, responded to this review, June 22, 2011
Dear Guest,

I am sorry to hear your room was unsatisfactory, but glad we had the capacity to get you into a new room. Customer service is our number one priority and we always strive to do everything we can to ensure your stay is as care-free as possible. We’re glad you chose us because we are pet-friendly. We hope you value that amenity and that we can continue to serve you in the future. If you feel anything from your stay was not appropriately resolved, please feel free to contact me at steve@bwmerrimackvalley.com and I will be happy to assist you. Thanks for your feedback and we look forward to seeing you again.

BEST WESTERN PLUS Merrimack Valley
Salem, New Hampshire
Reviewed June 7, 2011

Me and my fiance stayed at this hotel for a couple days just to get away and relax. Our room was nice and clean when we arrived, I thought it was a nice cozy room for the two of us. The pool and the hot tub were also very well maintained and we enjoyed those to the fullest! We loved that we could go for a nice swim then sit in a relaxing hot tub after. The location of the hotel was great, everything we needed was right around us, 24 hour cvs for anything we might need, grocery store right across the street as well as a chinese restaurant that had very good food and a movie theatre with really comfortable seats right next to us as well as many more restaurants and stores down the street. When it came to the service, we were helped as soon as we walked in the door and the guy at the desk was very nice, I believe his name was Matt, he helped us with everything we needed to know, places in the area and how to get to them, what restaurant is good and which one isn't, what there is to do in the area. There was also a girl there the enxt day who was also very nice but I don't remember her name. All in all we had a great experience and will definitely be back again soon! :)

Room Tip: Rooms by the pool so you can get there quicky! :)
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
BWMV, General Manager at Best Western Merrimack Valley, responded to this review, June 16, 2011
Dear Guest,

We are so glad to hear you and your fiancé had such an enjoyable stay at our hotel! Your comments about the high level of customer service you received from our employees makes us happy to hear. We’re glad you enjoyed our hotel’s convenient location and amenities, like our swimming pool and hot tub. We will be sure to pass your kind words along to our staff. Thanks and we hope you will stay with us again soon!

Steven Kerrigan
BEST WESTERN PLUS Merrimack Valley
Enfield, New Hampshire
Reviewed May 19, 2011

First room smelled really bad, opened the window, ants everywhere! Switched rooms. Smelly, opened window, only a few ants. Couldn't close the window, stuck open. 100% non-smoking and they say they cleaned the rooms for this. No way. Smoking smell all over. Drunks outside the door and throwing up right at the walkway. Room key only worked for the room. Couldn't get into the "D Block" door. (that's what we call it now.) The tub would not drain after a shower. The toilet moved when you sat on it. The day staff were uptight ,to say the least. Night staff was helpful with the window. Due to the above, I would not allow the kids in the pool so I cannot comment on the status of the pool. I stayed at this hotel last year and it was fine. We will never again stay at this hotel. I fully recommend you do not either.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank JuliefromNH
BWMV, General Manager at Best Western Merrimack Valley, responded to this review, May 27, 2011
Dear JuliefromNH,

I am sorry to hear this review. We take great pride in our hotel and take all complaints seriously. You mention you stayed with us last year and it was a good experience. We are confident that our hotel has only improved, and will continue to improve, since your last visit. Did you speak with our front desk regarding your concerns? We respond promptly to any concerns our guests bring to our attention. I would like to follow up with you and the service members you spoke with regarding the issues. Would you please email me further details of your interaction with our staff at gm@bwmerrimackvalley.com? This will ensure everything is dealt with fairly. I can assure you your next stay with us will very pleasant and comfortable.

Thanks,
Steve Kerrigan
Also consider these accommodations in or near Haverhill
Hampton Inn Haverhill
#1 of 4 in Salem
Fairfield Inn Amesbury
Fairfield Inn Amesbury
#2 of 2 in Amesbury

Been to Best Western Merrimack Valley? Share your experiences!