“Excellent place for young and early to learn. V. quiet until 2:30 pm”
Review of Ski Bradford

Ski Bradford
Ranked #2 of 14 things to do in Haverhill
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Downhill Ski Area, with 9 Lifts, Terrain Park, 100 % Snow Making, 100% Lighting for Night Skiing, Rental Shop , Lesson Programs, and Cafeteria,
Reviewed January 27, 2013

My son and I learned to ski at Ski Bradford three years ago and went back again with my husband twice this Christmas. It is an excellent place to learn, whether you are an adult or a child. Learning to ski was the idea of my son, who was six at the time and I was not enthusiastic because I tend to be rather unco-ordinated and middle-aged. Still, after two lessons several years ago and one this time around (alas, no skiing in the middle), I am very comfortable with green slopes and lifts, while my son could whiz down most of the Ski Bradford slopes fairly easily. There is a wide range of different types of lifts at Ski Bradford, which is good preparation for other places. The learner slope was very well groomed.

We were very fortunate in having time off when the local schools were in session. The slopes at Ski Bradford are very quiet until the school buses turn up (afterwards the place is still enjoyable, but it is very nice as a learner to feel like you have a whole slope to yourself). Also, at least in early January, it gets colder and darker at about that time as the sun sets behind the hill

This time around, we signed up for a group lesson at 11:00 and because we were all at different levels and nobody else at our levels showed up, we each ended up with a private lesson. The person who signed us up for lessons was very careful not to put us in over our heads and we have always found the ski instructors to be great.

The one thing I noticed this time is that there seemed to be quite a few more parents trying to teach their children to ski, with the child usually ending up really exasperated. I thought that maybe it was the recession, but if it is because Ski Bradford got rid of the 1pm group, perhaps they should bring it back, since it made the learner's area generally less fun.

Some pointers: 1) Leave at least a half an hour between arriving and any lesson time. We arrived just a bit too late one day to have time to rent, which is unfortunate since we find that we don't make much progress without lessons. 2) You might want to bring some snacks, since skiing builds up the appetite and the food was a bit pricey, particularly the vending machines. The pizza was brilliant, though. 3) The colors at Ski Bradford are useful for knowing which runs are more and less difficult, but don't necessarily match up with other places. My son could do the blues easily at Bradford, but struggled at Butternut.

1  Thank Courgette2

Reviewed January 2, 2013

Finally, the 2012/2013 ski season is here, and I was looking forward to being able to ease my 5yr old daughter back into skiing. She had just learned to ski at the end of last season taking lessons at Ski Bradford, and she is eager to continue learing so she can keep up with her brother (12yrs old and ski races!).
Ski Bradford, albeit pricey but very convenient for us, had the perfect solution: walk-in lessons in the morning up to early afternoon (1pm being the last one available). Last year, myself and 3 other girlfriends, would pack a lunch for our daughters, and at noon, drive our then 4 or 5yr olds to Ski Bradford and sign them up for the 1pm group lesson. The beauty was, that if there weren't that many people, the girls would either have a private lesson, or they would end up having a group lesson with no more than 5 in a group. It was GREAT - not only did the girls love it, but it was also quiet and perfect for them to learn - for some it was their first time on skiis, and for a few others, they were improving their skills.
As I was planning the activities for this winter season, I was ready to do the same thing this year - I would pick a nice day during the week, pack a lunch for her, and pick her up from Kindergarten at noon, and drive over to Ski Bradford and sign her up for the 1pm lesson. Just to be sure things hadn't changed, I went on-line to check out the times for the lessons. Low and behold, they no longer have that option - now the only option for my daughter to have a lesson without the craziness of the after-school program, is for a private lesson in the morning at the CRAZY price of $80!!!!!!!!!!! Really, 1 hour private lesson at either 9am or 11am for a 5yr old - not going to happen.
I was about to cry - not only does Bradford take advantage of its location with what it charges, but now they have further increased their prices, and reduced options for the little ones to learn. How many kids are able to take ski lessons at 9am during the week??? They should at least have lessons at 11am and 1pm during the week - 9am is so cold for the little ones anyway.
Now, not only do you have to pay for the lesson, but you also have to buy a ticket - the price of the lesson should allow you to ski on the mountain during the lesson!!
Again, very dissappointed and I know that unless they offer other times, they have definitely lost my business.

1  Thank Sophie M
Reviewed November 14, 2012

For a small mountain, Bradford does a fantastic job grooming and snowmaking. My kids love going to Bradford because they have to freedom to roam around on their own and I love it because it is small enough to keep and eye on them without intruding. It's a grear mountain to learn/teach on because it's not imtimidating to newbies.

Reviewed September 19, 2012

Locals call it "the bump". A great place for beginners and families. Weekday mid-afternoons get busy with local school children arrving for group lessons and skiing but still plenty of room for all. Ski Bradford's location is ideal for an evening ski under the lights and back home in mid-evening. Well run, great staff.

Reviewed September 6, 2012

Reasonable, uncrowded when school buses aren't jammed in the parking lot and the moguls are made of the same type of snow as the bigger mountains. As my legs get older and tire more easily, I should follow my wife's lead and get over here to ski during the winter weeks when not in NH, Maine or VT.