“Definitely worth going to”

Essex Street Grille
Ranked #8 of 152 Restaurants in Haverhill
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed February 21, 2013

The Essex Street Grille is one of our favorite local restaurants, and we go there quite often. We have never had a bad meal here. It does tend to get really busy, so it isn't always someplace you want to go to if you're in a rush, but I've never had the service be so slow that it was annoying (as some other reviewers have pointed out). From time to time, slow happens - all it takes is for one key member of the staff to call in sick. Overall I've found their service to be very good and the wait staff is knowledgeable and aims to please.

They often have some interesting specials and a variety of standard offerings that are really very good. There are steaks, pork osso buco, chicken, fish and Italian dishes on the menu, as well as a variety of salads and appetizers. I'm partial to their fish dishes, but we've also been with friends who tried the osso buco and said it was awesome.

It's a great local establishment that is easy to get to. It looks like a local pub, but the food is definitely a step or two above plain old pub food for sure. Get on owner Michael's email list, and he'll occasionally send you a notice about an upcoming special event, or mail you a coupon for a discount if you visit by a certain date.

1  Thank AdirondackKid

Reviewed February 12, 2013

This place is slightly upscale, at least for Haverhill. I've been pleased with my meal both times I've been there, although the second time our server wasn't great. The staff is generally friendly, though. Good wine selection, varied menu. Definitely give it a try, it's not the same old stuff on the menu.

Reviewed July 17, 2012

Visited on a week night. Place was quiet.Service was great. Food was very good...had baked haddock and also steak. A little pricey, but very good.

Reviewed May 12, 2012

My husband and I just recently started going out to eat in the downtown area and were originally pulled in to this place from the smell of the hamburgers. The food is delicious, but the service is TERRIBLE. We have had the same waitress 3 out of 5 times, who two weeks in a row was too busy gabbing with other guests to take our order. The same thing happened when we tried to leave, my husband had his credit card in hand for 15 minutes while we waited for her to finish flapping her gums with other patrons who looked like they were being held prisoner by her banter.

Now don't get me wrong, we have had two other waitresses who were extremely good at their jobs, and just the right amount of interaction with us. The food is quite tasty, and the place has a nice atmosphere.

We had high hopes for this becoming our regular place. It's a real shame, we are so turned off by the service that we will not come back until we know she is no longer working there. I'm sure she is nice, but you expect a certain amount of customer service from a place that looks as classy as this restaurant.

I would rate this 4.5 stars for food....and 2 for service.

1  Thank Jen S
Reviewed April 29, 2012

Been to the restaurant many times. Especially like the Thursday nite meal deal. The service is always excellent.