“Poor service”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed December 3, 2011

Let me start by saying, I have been to this restaurant on a few other occassions, and the experience has been good. This place is not, in my opinion haute cuisine...call it a step above pub food, but my kids enjoy it, so we go back from time to time.....but the other night, the service was awlful. We were there the night of the Christmas Stroll....the place was not crowded when we arrived, yet it took forever to get our drinks. My wife, who arrived after us, ordered a drink, and we waited and waited, and when it arrived it was the wrong one, so then we waited some more. Being that this is a busy night in Haverhill, where was the help? Three waitresses and one bartender....and although when we arrived and the place was practically empty, it operated as though it was packed....I wasn't paying much attention to what was really happening behind the bar (half full), by the waitresses were pouring their own beers, making drinks....the bartender must have been busy with conversation? Certainly wasn't working too hard. In the end, 90 minutes in there for a couple drinks, sandwiches and appetizers....missed the tree lighting.

Reviewed November 8, 2011

My new favorite restaurant in the Merrimack Valley. The place was full on a Monday which tells you something. They we're short staffed but the service was still very good. We had the pork oso bucco and the lamb chops. Both dishes we're excellent and the prices are reasonable. I believe everything was under $24. Can't wait to go back.

Reviewed October 29, 2011

Great food, but the service is pretty slow. Worth it for the butternut squash ravioli, though!!

Reviewed July 28, 2011

I'm on a quest to try all the great places to eat in our neighboring towns, so have started each week to choose a new one to try. This past week was the Essex Street Grille. Definitely a pub atmosphere. Felt welcoming. The place was almost empty when our party of 4 arrived just around 5:30 (mid week). None of us were in the mood to drink, so water with lemon our order. I had the mahi mahi grilled taco appetizer - 3 small flour tortillas topped with great tasting fish, cabbage, etc... Perfect for a small appetite. My friends had the appetizer sampler and one had their grilled burger. We all agreed that the food prep was delicious... but we waited over 45 minutes for our food to arrive. Not sure what was going on in the kitchen but that was ridiculous.
So, if you are in the mood to go in and drink heavily before eating, it will be a good choice....
Parking is non-existent at the Essex, but there are several public parking garages nearby.

Reviewed February 20, 2010

The Essex Street Grille is the finest restaurant in Haverhill. With an electic & extensive menu, there's something for everyone. The sauteed lobster is scrumptious and the steak au poivre is one of the best I've ever had. And the prices are so reasonable. One of Haverhill's gems -- highly recommended !!