“Not worth the wait!!!”

Ember Coal Fired Pizza & Wings
Ranked #13 of 24 Restaurants in Harwich Port
Cuisines: Bar, Pizza, Pub
Good for: Kids, Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Massachusetts
“Not worth the wait!!!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2010

Drive by and this looks like a fun place to eat - until you get the particulars. (Note: this is at 600 Bank St. in Harwich Port and some reviews done in previous years don't address the make over.) The outdoor wide screen TV and patio seating area drew us to this restaurant. The tiny parking lot is like the mall at Christmas, people waiting in line and repeatedly driving through looking for spaces. (How did they ever get a permit?) There is a very small patio seating area and surprisingly small indoor seating for such a large looking building, and you take whatever is available when your name is called. The rest of the outdoor area is for waiting, and wait you will. The wait of over an hour for some dinners and 1 1/2 hours for others is totally ridiculous! We actually saw guests going to the bar to get their own drinks while they waited, and some ordered pizza for take out and ate on the outdoor benches. And with this kind of wait you would think that this must be spectacular food. It's not. The spaghetti and very large meatballs was passable. We sampled a variety of three individual pizzas. They were super thin crust and the toppings were not generous and truly disappointing. The really good item that we tried was the Gorgonzola Garlic Bread. It was warm, gooey and salty! So the bill for four adults for three small pizzas, one spaghetti and meatball dinner, one order of garlic bread, two beers and two sodas was about $66, not including tax and tip. The atmosphere on the outdoor patio was nice, but inside the noise was ridiculous! It was difficult to order and dinner conversations was nonexistent unless you wanted to yell. Reservations are only accepted for parties of six or more. They should at least have some kind of call ahead, and until they do we won't be having dinner here.

1 Thank WhiskasMassachusetts

Boston, Massachusetts
“Average Pizza...but don't bring small children”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2010

My husband and I went here with our kids (3 year old and 3 month old) while on a Cape vacation. We figured since it was a pizza place (although an upscale pizza place) in a family vacation town on the Cape, there would be no problem going here with kids, especially since we were there at 5:30 on a Wednesday. But as soon as we asked for a table, we felt unwelcome. We were greeted by a rather pretencious hostess staff (1st sign) and after being told they did not have any highchairs for our baby's car seat (2nd clear sign) I asked the hostess whether people typically brought children here, as I was prepared to turn around and leave. But after being told rather unconvincingly that children were welcome,we were seated. My kids were perfect angels during our whole dinner, but I could not enjoy my meal and felt extremely rushed to eat in fear that my baby woke up or my 3 year old made a peep.

Other than that, the pizza was pretty good but nothing special. Perhaps if I went here to meet some friends for a drink ( the wine was good) and a bite in the bar (the bar had a rather trendy atmoshphere) I would have enjoyed my experience more. But I would not go back with my family.

2 Thank abmm
Boston, Massachusetts
“Skip it ...”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2010

The place is so loud inside that you can't hear yourself think. The staff at this place needs to be trained, they are very unprofessional, with the attitude that they would rather be somewhere else. The salad was OK, but the bruschetta was inedible. My husband refused to eat it, but I did and got sick afterwards. Our waitress was terrible, and other patrons that arrived well after us got their food long before us. After waiting for over 40 minutes for our pizza, we spoke to a manager that obviously didn't give a damn. Our pizza still had not gone in the oven at that point. Do yourself a favor and get your pizza elsewhere.

4 Thank hungry2010
cape cod, mass
“Wiat until off season!!!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2010

We have been to Embers twice, once in early May and then again in July. We thought it was a bit noisy the first time, but in July, the racket was unbearable. Conversation was impossible. The pizza's fine; the prices fair, but if you plan to talk while you eat, go elsewhere. Our waitress was efficient and friendly, but she said she could do nothing about the backup in the kitchen (40 minutes wait for our order). This is obviously the "hot" new spot in Harwichport. But if Embers wants to survive, the owners have to pay more attention to their clients' comfort-- and eardrums.

1 Thank cap25
Harwich Port, Massachusetts
“Two of the Worst Pizzas I've Ever Had”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2010

Limp, pale, thin crust that has no relationship to what one would expect from a coal fired 1000 degree oven. When I expressed my opinion to the management, I was told that Cape Cod doesn't know what a pizza from a coal fired oven is all about. I beg to differ. This pizza is just not worth eating. I've had better frozen supermarket pizzas than either of the pizzas we were served at Ember.

6 Thank macthefoodie