“New Owner and Chef - Great Food” 5 of 5 bubbles

L'Alouette
Ranked #6 of 24 Restaurants in Harwich Port
Cuisines: French, Seafood, Fusion
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings
Description: Renowned Local Chef Christian Schultz has reinvented L'Alouette as a comfortable, elegant restaurant serving Global Cuisine with fresh local ingredients. L'Alouette features and extensive menu and offers a $27 3 course prix fixe menu from mid October until May.
Harwich, Massachusetts
“New Owner and Chef - Great Food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2014

We've seen this Harwich Port restaurant go through several changes since 1979 when it was Carriage Trade. It then became L'Aouette and since then had two different owners. The food has aways been excellent.

Christian Schultz took over from the previous owners early this summer. The premises have been spruced up. The menu has been expanded, and the food is great. I had the lamb shank and my wife had a steak - both excellent. It was nice to see a couple of the previous servers + some new ones.

I think this is off to a very good start. Good luck!

• Visited July 2014

Baltimore, Maryland
“Best supper on the Cape”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2014

This meal and the service were excellent from start to finish-- definitely make a reservation for supper! From the friendly hostess to the knowledgeable and attentive server, the service was great. But the meal was better-- we both got the cashew crusted halibut-- a large, fresh piece of fish finished just right. But even the smaller items on the plate were done with extra elan-- the green beans had a touch of lemon, the rice and sauce (I forget which one-- maybe Chantilly?) both cooked and seasoned well. The caramel and chocolate dessert was a rich ending to a wonderful meal. The tables are well-placed so you aren't forced to listen to your neighbors' conversation and the noise level was low so that dinner conversation could happen easily.

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank davisellu
Crofton, Maryland
“New chef/owner=fantastic food!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2014

My wife and I have been to L'aloutte years ago (90's and early 00's) and while always good, the place seemed to get a little tired and overpriced for not so fantastic food. I don't mind paying if I am wowed. So, fast forward to last week (June 25th to be exact) we had read some of the reviews on Trip Advisor and were delighted to discover that Christian Schultz is the new owner. We had had some of his cooking at the Academy Ocean Grill and were very impressed. We made a reservation for Wed (you will need a rez during the summer season). We started off with the seafood bisque, the escargot with mushrooms and the clams Christian. Wow! Flavors were all amazing and different. It was a good choice to share. My cousin had the Veal Saltimboca (which I remember from Academy Ocean Grill as one of the standouts). My wife had the seafood lovers (lobster, shrimp and scallops) and I had the Bolognese. All were truly outstanding. Great job Christian, keep it up!

Visited June 2014
2 Thank Jay G
Massachusetts
“Carnivores 1, Vegetarians 0”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2014

Most restaurants off the Cape at least make a nod to vegetarians by offering one entree on the menu. Sadly, this is one Cape restaurant that hasn't gotten the memo yet. The chef instead offers to make something on the fly. In our case, it was what we have all too often seen in Cape restaurants - a plate of nothing but vegetables. This is truly the lazy way out for a chef. How hard would it be to have a plate with grains or beans or tofu to add some protein to the vegetables? Does this chef think that vegetarians eat only vegetables? OK, end of rant. We both started with spinach salad, which was quite good, with fresh greens and beets and blue cheese - but the candied pecans were not a good idea - I was afraid I'd break a tooth. My roast duck as a daily special was delicious with apricot sauce. Decent wine list, with some interesting options at reasonable prices. Hence the rating of "3" - excellent for carnivores, but vegetarians stay away.

• Visited June 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Steve7P
San Diego, California
“Still a great restaurant, even with new owners...no need to worry!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2014

L'Alouette has always been a favorite restaurant of mine and my folks - we only get there about once a year now that we are all living on the west coast. So we were a bit worried that the quality might have changed with the new owners. Happy to report that dinner was still excellent. Especially the arugula salad (with grilled pineapple - delicious). Our server Patrick even wrote up the recipe for me. I'm not sure it will taste as good when I make it, but I'll sure try! Eating at L'Alouette has always been a treat - and still is.

• Visited June 2014