“Nowhere near as good as it thinks it is”
Review of Cape Sea Grill

Cape Sea Grill
Ranked #1 of 28 Restaurants in Harwich Port
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed October 1, 2013

We had a pretty unenjoyable evening here last week, in terms of both food and service.
We were seated in the conservatory, which was probably lovely in the summer but at the end of September, really wasn't. Our seat was right next to a fire exit, through which a really chilly blast was coming. There was an improvised curtain on the bottom half of the door, so the owners were clearly aware of the problem and really, there shouldn't have been an extra table squeezed in there until the draft had been dealt with properly.
Anyway, it was actually making my hands go a bit numb, so after five minutes, we very politely and apologetically asked to move. The waiter looked at us as if we'd spat in his face. We were moved into the main room which was warmer, but we'd obviously annoyed him with our perfectly reasonable request, because when he took our order, he practically snatched the menus out of our hands.
Putting that behind us, we ordered, and my husband had a quite tasty vegetarian dish with squash and lentils and so on; our wine was also very good. I think it was a sancerre, off the top of my head. But my pan-seared lobster was really, really dire. It was overcooked and chewy; and the broth was just dreadful. It didn't taste of saffron or calvados; it just tasted bitter and a bit charcoal-y - as if something had been perhaps burnt in the sauce then removed. The potatoes were nice, but the asparagus was very hard (and I say this as somebody who really likes their vegetables on the toothy side of al dente).
The whole thing was a mess. I didn't eat half of it, but the huffy waiter didn't bother to ask whether there was a problem.
Of course, as we ordered the check, Mr Grumpy suddenly turned into Mr Charming and started chatting to us about our holiday. Isn't that always the way, when they remember a little thing called 'tipping'?
The next day, we went to Catch of the Day in Wellfleet for lunch. A tiny, shack sort of a place, no tableclothes, no linen napkins. And the most delicious, fresh, well cooked seafood you can imagine, at a third of the price.
Which just made me even more angry about wasting my dollars at the Cape Sea Grill, which really is about a tenth as good as it thinks it is.

2  Thank emma c

Reviewed September 25, 2013

We found Cape Sea Grill by reading online reviews and we are so happy that we choose it for our last night dinner during a week long stay in Cape Cod. The staff were all very welcoming and friendly. Loved our waitress who was helpful in our food selection and even checked with the kitchen for the ingredients of the gazpacho that I choose (and totally loved) for my appetizer. It was the first I have had it and we made it ourselves when we got back home. My swordfish dinner was exceptional and I loved the chocolate bread pudding dessert - wow!!! My husband enjoyed his salad before a main course of sea bass and ice cream for dessert. Making it all the better, we took advantage of the sunset dinner special that week that featured appetizer/salad and desserts for the price of the main meal. We would definitely go there again.

Reviewed September 7, 2013

Four of us went for a Sunday night meal over Labor Day weekend. The braised lamb shank was outstanding. A must if it is available. It was accompanied by squash mashed potato. The meal was to die for. Everything was delicious. To top it off, we had Josh as our waiter and he was friendly and helpful. Look forward to our next trip. Be sure and make a reservation.

Reviewed September 6, 2013

This was e very nice restaurant. Wonderful building and very nice dining rooms.They had a nice porch but there were no place when we came. make reservation! Very clean. The food was very good and the waiters very helpfull.

Reviewed September 4, 2013

I was determined to find some "fine dining" on the cape while vacationing last week. After searching through trip advisor's towns on the cape I found this restaurant reviewed. The meal I had was fantastic! My husband summed it up best with the word: Harmony. The combination of some unusual flavors melded together to create one of the best meals I've had. I ordered the swordfish, shrimp and pulled pork combo. I was a little worried by the combination, but decided to give it a try. The pulled pork was sandwiched between a split sweet potato biscuit - I was trying to decide if it tasted more like an autumnal meal or a 4th of July bbq. It was really hard to describe, but the flavors were fantastic, the swordfish perfectly prepared and lovely grilled shrimp. This is not a restaurant for the budget conscious, but was reasonable considering the quality of the entree. In fact, the wine was not marked up as much as less desirable places on the cape. My husband enjoyed his meal as well - I was so enthralled with mine that I can only remember it involved lobster and pasta and some other seafood. The restaurant itself is lovely though a little difficult to find. Obviously a favorite of the local wealthy patrons. You may want to dress up a little more than is usual for the cape, though certainly business casual is fine.