“More Tuna Tartare Please!”
Review of Cape Sea Grill

Cape Sea Grill
Ranked #1 of 25 Restaurants in Harwich Port
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Montreal, Canada
“More Tuna Tartare Please!”
Reviewed August 4, 2013

A very good dining experience; I started with a tuna tartare...my kids wanted to taste it...I had to order another one.
Every dish was beautifully prepared and presented; everything was so fresh.
Good wines. No kids menu, but all you need to do is order a dish and split it.

Visited August 2013

Wilmington, North Carolina
“Great bar!”
Reviewed August 4, 2013

The food was great. It's a little pricey but the service was good. The bar is a great stop before dinner!

Visited June 2013
Scotch Plains, New Jersey
“Good but overpriced”
Reviewed August 1, 2013

I would have rated this place higher but everything was really overpriced for what we got.

Salads and starters were good but nothing was over-the-top excellent. The same could be said for the entrees. The ingredients were fresh and they were well prepared but there was nothing that really stood out.

Desserts were nothing special. The bread pudding was actually disappointing.

Decor was fine but not particularly elegant.

Service was attentive and professional.

I don't want to come across as being cheap but at $35 per entree, I expected a bit more. Otherwise, I might as well eat someplace less expensive.

• Visited August 2013
Boston, Massachusetts
“Overpriced and Overhyped”
Reviewed July 31, 2013

Think twice before spending your money here. We ate here for the first time on Sunday. I had been eating seafood all week while on vacation, so I decided to try a pork tenderloin entree. I should have thought twice when I read the ambitious description: House-Smoked Pork Tenderloin with arugula pesto mashed potatoes, a salad of watercress, grilled peaches, feta, daikon radish & haricots verts tossed in "Hemeon's pluot" vinaigrette, finished with grilled pineapple salsa & white wine veal sauce. I should have known by the overwrought description that it was going to be as awful as it sounds, or worse.

The pork appeared as I ordered. It was four small slices, medium, with pink in the middle, but it was served room temperature and was so dry I could hardly swallow it. Being a well versed cook myself, my only guess is that they cooked the tenderloin in a convection oven, or a microwave to achieve that crazy result. I realize this establishment claims to specialize in seafood, but any restaurant that puts something on the menu should prepare it as edible. I couldn't finish it. This is a restaurant, right? The arugula pesto mashed potatoes were equally a disaster. They looked disgusting to begin with; a mound of green plop, like a cow paddy. They were dry too! It was as if the arugula had sucked all the moisture out of the mashed potatoes. There was no creaminess and no hint of salt or seasoning; it was like eating pureed lawn trimmings and sawdust. I only had two bites and gave up. The side salad: "watercress, grilled peaches, feta, daikon radish & haricots verts tossed in 'Hemeon's pluot' vinaigrette, finished with grilled pineapple salsa & white wine veal sauce" ... (gasp) was horrible too. What are these people thinking? The peaches were unripe and crunchy; the haricots verts were undercooked and still stringy. That "salsa" was brownish green and looked like something pulled from a clogged garbage disposal. Halloween food. E-e-e-k!

Oh, my gawd, I just realized we paid $32.50 for just that one dish alone. Boo!

My dinner companion had the Horseradish Breaded & Roasted Atlantic Swordfish with olives, capers, tomatoes, cucumbers, grilled asparagus, seared potatoes, & roasted garlic beurre blanc... $33.50. There was nothing exceptional about it. Presentation was boring. The entirety of his plate was meager. Small portion of fish and everything else mashed together like garbage again. Gross, gross, gross. There was hardly any food. Even the potatoes were meager: there were only two small blue new potatoes. Big whoop.

The bread they served prior to the meal was dry and had burnt crust, so that didn't help either. The bottle of sparkling water we ordered was of a lesser quality and lacked a satisfying fizz.

Even my appetizer salad was a mess. The greens were overdressed and mushy. The execution was as though a five-year-old prepared it with no thought put into to it like someone was going to eat rather than play with it. I can remember eating salads from a McDonalds (years ago) that were tastier and more fresh.

When I mentioned to our server that my meal was disappointing, she returned later and said, "The chef would like to buy you one dessert." Oh boy! (We know she never spoke to the chef. Their desserts are cheap. It was just more indifference, and small compensation for going hungry. This was just a way to avoid responsibility for bad food. We shared the sorbet "from Cambridge." You can't mess that up. (We love eating in Cambridge too.) However, we had already lost our appetites anyway.

This restaurant, fortunately, was not our last impression of Cape Cod. Every other restaurant we patronized during our vacation was outstanding. Cape Sea Grille was a flop. The decor even reminded of a brand new, unimproved, doublewide mobile home. All white walls with plastic molding and industrial carpeting, and store bought wall hangings. A building contractor's shed.

I don't recommend Cape Sea Grille. Whatever people say, this is NOT a destination for dining. At those prices (and I've spent more elsewhere), it's clear this business is more about making money and not about what comes out of the kitchen. I had been optimistic about this restaurant, but was greatly disappointed. I would rather have opened a can of beans under a bridge. I'm not kidding. That would have been better.

• Visited July 2013
3 Thank TravelersShorts
London
“Over-rated but with a redeeming feature”
Reviewed July 30, 2013

I can see from other reviews that my review does not follow the norm but I can only report our experience. We had to book 4 days in advance so as to reserve our table in the main dining room at the time we wanted so expectations were high. Our first course was fine - not great but Ok. one of us had the duck confit and two had the pate. Unfortunately the main course for 2 of our party were very disappointing; food was tepid when it was meant to be hot. However as soon we mentioned this the immediate response was to offer to replace it and take the cost off the bill and in my mind that is a sign of a restaurant that understands its customers and knows that sometimes they get it wrong. Furthermore they gave us 2 complimentary desserts (creme brûlée with ginger and strawberry shortcake) and they were delicious. what a shame the rest of the mean wasn't as good. You can see from other reviews that our experience was not the norm.

• Visited July 2013