“Would not recommend”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Harwich Port
Clapp's Guest House
Ranked #7 of 8 Harwich Port B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 8, 2010

We just retuned from a (shortened) stay at Clapp's. We planned a 3 night weekend there, based on the fact that we didn't have a huge budget and the only review listed was positive.
As we were travelling with a small child, we booked the 'efficiency suite'- billed as 2 adjoining rooms with a kitchen. Sounded perfect for our needs. When we arrived at Clapp's we were warmly greeted by the owners. They went over a few policies and showed us to our room. Well, instead of the 'charming' room that the website advertised, we were brought to a room that looked like it had not been updated or throughly cleaned in at least 30 years. The bathroom shower was mildewy. The blinds and curtains were filthy. The carpeting was so atrocious that I didn't want my feet to touch the floor. To make matters worse, the 'suite' was two rooms separated by a hallway and a staircase--not adjoining at all, or suited to our needs with a small child.
Things went from bad to worse our first night, as the bed was one of the most uncomfortable I have ever slept on, I'll bet that the mattress also was over 30 years old. And as I clicked off the lamp above my bed that night, I was literally showered with dust.

No, don't get me wrong, there were some very nice things about the property. It is very close to the beach, which was great. It also has a lovely yard with lots of sitting areas, and a nice outdoor kitchen with a grill. One irksome thing about the yard though--the property has a beautiful inground swimming pool. It is, however fenced off and labeled as 'private'. The owners told us that they couldn't adhere to all of the town's regulations on swimming pools, so they had to "close it off to the guests". So the two of them sit behind the fence poolside, sipping wine, and smiling across the fence at the guests. Even though I believe that there is likely some truth to their stories about the regulations, I found this highly annoying.

Needless to say, we did not complete our three night stay at Clapp's, and left after the second night when I saw a suspicious bug in the kitchen. Of course, due to the "policy" there is a three night minimum-cash/check only, and no refunds, so we lost our money.

The bottom line is that this is an old place, run by old people, with lots of 'rules', that is showing its age. I would stay somewhere else.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
6  Thank BBL16
Management response:Responded December 22, 2010

The reviewer is correct, we are not teenagers. We take pride in having welcomed guests from all over the world since 1962 and feel blessed to have hosted four generations who have considered our place their "home away from home."

Our website clearly addresses many of this reviewer's issues. Pictures and description of the Efficiency Suite show it to be one bedroom (not two), with a kitchen. We do not have a minimum stay requirement. There is no pool listed so I don't know why they expected one. Our pretty standard refund policy is clearly written and a person agrees to it when making a reservation.

If everything was so terrible I wonder why this reviewer's family spent two days enjoying the place, going to the beach, relaxing in the sunny yard while the baby napped, cooking out on the barbecue, visiting with us and the other guests. They gave no indication that anything was wrong. Unexpectedly, at 9:00 pm of their second day, this guest came to our back door to say they were very unhappy, that this place was not at all what they had expected and they were leaving the next morning.

When he asked for his money back for the third night of their reservation I reminded him of our refund policy and said I would try to re-rent the room for the next night but it would be difficult at such short notice. I was unable to re-rent the Efficiency for that one night and did not refund his money. Wonder if this review would have been written if I had.

Reviewed July 10, 2009

I've just returned from 3 days in Cape Cod and stayed at the Clapp's Guest House. We had hired a car so had planned to do day trips out and about on Cape Cod, so didn't require extensive hotel facilities or luxury accommodation or room service. The Clapp's Guest House is excellent value for money and in a great location in Harwich Port. You can walk to some great restaurants and bars, down to the beach or just have a relaxing stroll around the shops. It's also in a great location to get in the car and head up or down the Cape on day trips.
The rooms are very comfy with own toilet and washbasin. But most of all, the owners, Nancy and Carl, are so hospitable and will offer advice on anything you want to do on the Cape. I would definitely return to their guest house as I enjoyed my stay so much.

3  Thank Roosterevans28
Raabbiitt, Owner at Clapp's Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded February 20, 2012

We appreciate your kind words.