“The BEST place on Cape Cod!”

Winstead Inn and Beach Resort
Ranked #1 of 8 Harwich Port B&B and Inns
New York City, New York
“The BEST place on Cape Cod!”
Reviewed May 30, 2012

I recently stayed at the Winstead Inn and Beach Resort over the Memorial Day weekend. Having visited the Cape for many years and having stayed at many places, I can honestly say this was by far the very BEST place I've every stayed while visiting Cape Cod! I didn't stay at the Beach Resort, but stayed at the Inn, another property located about 2 miles from the Beach Resort. My room at the Inn, the Mariner's Hideaway, was on the second floor and overlooked the pool in the back. The room decor was exquisite and complimented the charm of the Inn. The king size bed was very comfortable and inviting. I especially enjoyed the view of the pool in the evening. The pool had three streams of water that arched from poolside into the pool while the pool and the three streams of water changed colors in a synchronized fashion. I thought it was a delightful sight.

The accommodation included a simple continental breakfast each morning which included coffee, tea, fresh fruit salads, yogurt, english muffins and in my view, the best homemade banana bread and muffins! Each morning they served a different kind of muffin. I was very impressed with all of the breakfast fare! The homemade bread and muffins were absolutely delicious and were complimented by the perfect atmosphere of ocean views and serene music in the background. It was just wonderful!

The InnKeepers, especially Greg, David and Doug, were extremely nice and very helpful. They definitely go out of their way to accommodate their guests and have a great way of making you feel "at home" in "their home." I cannot remember ever staying at a place on the Cape where I was literally pampered and treated very well by the Innkeepers and staff.

Both the Beach Resort and the Inn were impeccably clean and well-maintained. It appeared that everything, both inside and outside of both properties, was pristine and what I would call "perfection personified." One thing I would like to note, is that I met a few families with small children and it was nice to see how the Innkeepers and Staff engaged the kids. Clearly, they try to accommodate and please everyone of all ages!

Overall, the atmosphere, the decor and the exceptional service provided by the Innkeepers and the staff make the Winstead Inn and Beach Resort the BEST place on the Cape!

I encourage folks to check out this rare gem - you will be both very pleased and very impressed!

Room Tip: If possible, try to get a room at the Beach Resort. However, the Inn possesses a unique charm. Eit...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank FJENewYork

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
Reviewed May 28, 2012

We are just returning from a 3-nights stay during the Memorial Day weekend and had a nice experience until 5 minutes before check-out. The good: fantastic location, right on beach. The decor is old and charming classic cape cod. Rooms are exactly what you see on website. One of the inn-keepers, Doug, was extremely welcoming. The bad: room service is poor. We went with our 2-year old, so we needed garbage cans every time we would open a snack and there were 2 tiny ones in our 3 rooms that would not even hold one take-out container. We requested twice an additional garbage can, once directly to cleaning staff, other time left a voicemail to guest service since no one picked up, but never got it. The ugly: during check out, among so many others checking out along with us, we were asked by the other inn-keeper to wait as our room would be inspected before we left. Then we were told we would be charged around $100 for clean up. When we wanted more detail for this, the reason in his words were "chocolate crumbles on sofa and patch on blue carpet". I explained that my son spilled sour cream from the take out from Andale (which was very nice, by the way) and you could still spot it after I wiped with wet napkin as the carpet was blue. My husband was told this was "unacceptable" by this person. This experience ruined the entire vacation for me. I wonder if they charged other guests who spilled ketchup/wine/yogurt on the carpet. Besides, more than the money it is this experience of being treated differently from all other guests in front of them, (whether it is because we have a child or we look different or any other reason) when no one else's rooms were being inspected, makes me disheartened. We occupied one of the more expensive rooms, paid $25 additional per
night for our 2-year old, and still now have to wait and see how much they charge us to steam-clean the carpet. Today when all commercial vacuum cleaners come with steamers, I would not want to check in to a room where the carpet is not automatically steam cleaned from previous use irrespective of whether sour cream or red wine was accidentally spilled on the carpet. Finally, a place where the inn keeper can tell a paying customer that chocolate crumbles and Sour cream stain was "unacceptable", I will not go back to. There are enough nice options at the cape if you are willing to pay this value to enjoy your vacation with more dignity and respect even if you unfortunately spill ketchup or sour cream or red wine.

Room Tip: Room 11 is large, nice if you need space. Looks exactly like the pictures on website.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
11 Thank Bhattaam
mywoody, Manager at Winstead Inn and Beach Resort, responded to this review, June 1, 2012
We thoroughly understand children will be children but we also need to understand that parents must be parents, even when they are on vacation.
Metro Minneapolis-Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed February 10, 2012

Room #5, excellent Sea View and sound of the Surf at night. Great Breakfast. Used pool at sister property, beautiful pool and grounds, very refreshing. Only downfall at this property was that you could hear your neighbors tv and kids in the hallway. I think at a bed and breakfast of this quality and price, it should be Adults Only & No TVs, then it would be perfect and we would return, otherwise we will not return.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank daisymae531
mywoody, Manager at Winstead Inn and Beach Resort, responded to this review, April 30, 2012
Truthfully I rarely watch TV but when I travel I do like to catch the weather to plan my time. There are some people that have that favorite weekly show that they have to watch no matter what, or that special sports event (Olympics, Play off games, and of course the Red Sox (some of you, the Yankees)) We want to cater to our guests; we do however reserve the right to adjust the volume if you have a concern.
We were all children once, and hopefully we were all taught how to respect others. I myself have children, and I for one feel that if your children are behaved why shouldn't they we able to enjoy the vacation I choose for my family. In the occasional case where parents forget they have children we gladly work with the children first. And again we reserve the right to adjust the volume.

Rome, New York
Reviewed October 29, 2011

This beach resort is so picturesque and exceptionally clean. This was our third return trip there and it won't be our last. We invited others to join us there. They loved it and said they will definitely return.
The beach is so pleasant @ the Winstead Beach Resort and I love being able to step off the veranda right onto the sand. From there, it's just a short walk to the water and the pounding surf, all of which you can see from the veranda and from many of the rooms.
The innkeepers are so friendly and helpful, it only enhances the stay. Food is all fresh and homemade for each breakfast. The fireplace is soooo inviting. Wish I lived closer.

Room Tip: Rm 7 has a great ocean view and a pleasant table and chairs right by the window to view it.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank lareinads
Thanks for your kind words; that fireplace is so nice, especially after a long walk on the beach. Nothing like the warmth of the fire while watching the sun set.
Elgin, Illinois
Reviewed October 29, 2011

I love this place with it's ocean views, comfortable rooms, and great places to sit in the living room around the fire. Room #2 with it's views of the water and dunes to the southwest has been my "home away from home" all of those years. I love the walks on the beach, the hammocks, the blue rocking chairs on the porch and the delicious continental breakfast. Although we no longer live in Massachusetts as we did in the past, I hope my husband and I can return again in a year or two.

Judy,
We hope we get to see you again soon to. Remember when you reserve early for off season there are some great specials.
Troy, New York
Reviewed October 28, 2011

While my wife and I are very familiar with the Harwich Port area from previous vacations, this was our first stay at the Winstead Beach Resort. May I say, our two day late October experience was as good as it gets.

First, we carefully previewed the rooms on the Winstead web site, and what we were looking for was a great ocean view. Taking advantage of the offseason Fall rates, we selected the second floor room 8, which faces directly south toward the ocean with a nearly 180 degree view of Nantucket Sound. Be sure to carefully read the descriptions of the rooms on the web site, which accurately reflect the views and orientation available, and some rooms of course do not face the beach or ocean.

We were not disappointed - in room 8 we watched beautiful sunrises and sunsets from our BED, as the windows wrap around to the left, center and right side. There is also a very small deck for two on the south side, which broadens the view even further. Even though the Winstead is set back from the water several hundred feet, the view of both the beach and the ocean itself is spectacular. We were fortunate enough to have back to back sunny October days for our stay, so luck was with us.

The room was very well set up, clean, and comfortable, with a great king bed. The bathroom was shining and absolutely spotless, as it it had been polished top to bottom immediately before our stay. The atmosphere in the resort itself was very friendly, with a number of seasoned guests (many of whom were returning visitors) who seemed equally happy with their accomodations. Staff was very relaxed and helpful with requests, and the continental breakfast provided surprisingly good quality options for a quick breakfast before beginning our daily Cape Cod jaunts.

As our vistit was immediately before the resort was closing for the season, the beach was buttoned down with snow fence in preparation for the winter, but we still had room to walk and sit outside in the cool Fall air. We did a lot of beach walking and did not find the seaweed referred to in a previous review from September. It was very clean, and based on our many visits to this beach in the past, I suspect that previous review was shortly after the September hurricane which would likely drive an unusual amount of debris to the beach.

People should be aware that the beach area in Harwich Port is relatively shallow, so alternatively there are also lots of other outstanding Cape Cod beaches within a short drive to add some variety if you so chose. To each his own - this beach is still excellent, and the private area that extends several hundred feet directly in front of the Winstead provides a very enjoyable beach.

Ok, the in-season prices are up there, like any waterfront property. But I can only say from our own experience that this was among the best accomodations we have ever had in the region, and I would strongly recommend this resort to anyone staying on the Cape.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Thanks so much Danny. Room #8 is special; I wish we had 14 of them but there are many others with great views. I do like our beach too; I guess that is why I walk it every day and am still not tired of it.
Norfolk, Massachusetts
Reviewed October 16, 2011

We spent three nights at the Winstead Beach Resort over Columbus Day weekend. It was absolutely perfect. The Inn and its employees were wonderful, and being right on the beach was nothing short of marvelous. The weather was more than cooperative, we evan swam along with taking long walks on the beach in our bearfeet and shorts. We loved our room, Room #1, great view of the beach and the sound and the shower was something you never wanted to leave.
We will be back, we are sad that we have to wait until Spring to do so.

Room Tip: Look at the pictures on their website. The rooms are exactly as described and pictured.
1 Thank PeterL286
Thanks for the kind words Peter.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Harwich Port
Wequassett Resort and Golf Club
Dan'l Webster Inn & Spa
Dan'l Webster Inn & Spa
#1 of 8 in Sandwich

Been to Winstead Inn and Beach Resort? Share your experiences!