“Nice view - food should be better”

Twenty Eight Atlantic
Reserve with OpenTable
Twenty Eight Atlantic is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #8 of 69 Restaurants in Harwich
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Pleasant Bay Road
Toronto
“Nice view - food should be better”
Reviewed August 12, 2011

My wife and I went to this restaurant as part of our stay at Wequassett - it's generally billed as the top resturant in the area so we wanted to check it out. Quick synopsis - we do a lot of fine dining, and the food and service here was below par.

Our server was friendly and nice - but it was substandard in terms of promptness, consistency and professionalism. It's fine to have non-professionals hosting tables, but they should at least be professionally trained. I think this is something the restaurant needs to address if it aspires to be a fine dining establishment.

For appetizers, my wife had oysters and I tried a seared romaine lettuce salad. The oysters were fine, but the romaine lettuce app was a bit baffling. The lettuce was sliced in crosswise slices, almost shredded. This made it hard to eat as a salad and I didn't enjoy it.

They provided us with a nice amuse bouche, and our bouches were amused - it was interesting and tasty.

The root of our discontent was with the main courses. I ordered a tenderloin beef with a consomme broth sauce, which was poured after delivery of the dish. I ordered it rare, and quite frankly it came medium if not well done. I tried cutting it with the butter knife (as intended, I think), but the beef was just not tender enough, so I had to request a steak knife. The flavours were nice, although I was disappointed that it was not prepared as requested. The consomme was delicately flavoured, to their credit, so I did enjoy that. My wife ordered a fish dish - and this was the real travesty. I asked her how the fish was, and the look on her face prompted me to give it a taste. It was truly a disaster - either the fish was bad - or it was ruined in the steaming process. The texture was completely off and it had a mushy, almost sandy texture. Sand at the beach, not in my mouth, please! Despite having had bad dining experiences on occasion in the past, this is the first time I insisted she send it back. It was truly a disgraceful load of fish. They replaced it with a grilled swordfish - totally overcooked, but at least edible.

In any event - the matire d' who swooped in to replace the steamed mush was professional, and did his best to salvage the situation. He did insist on taking the fish back, but it was disappointing - considering we had other excellent dining experiences in Cape Cod on this trip at more modest establishments.

The wine list is a bit short - I think it would benefit from a larger selection of French and Californian reds, which would seem to suit the menu. Our bottle was excellent although not a value pick.

In any event, I'd try this restaurant again, if we were staying at the Wequassett, because it's convenient - but I would speak with staff in advance to ensure our food was properly prepared. This did occur on one of their popular "jazz" nights, which was lively and fun (most of the action was in the outdoor area next to the dining room) and I did notice that Thoreau's shared some menu items. So, I'll give them benefit of the doubt - but then, should I have to?

Worth trying if you're there - but my sense is it's a bit overrated by the locals based on this particular dining experience.

• Visited August 2011
1 Thank SksAdvntr

Chatham, Massachusetts
“The only thing spectacular was the view.”
Reviewed August 5, 2011

Very expensive, very small portions, and very pretentious. Soggy caesar salad; 2, yes, that's only 2 scallops for my entree! Untrained staff. It's like the emperor with no clothes. Just because this restaurant is part of a 5 star resort, one is "supposed" to think it is great. It truly is not. Shame on the Wequasset Inn for passing this as a fine dining experience.

• Visited July 2011
4 Thank JKS12
Hawthorne, NJ
“Shakespeare would have loved the 'Comedy of Errors'”
Reviewed August 4, 2011

The restaurant sometimes has a jazz program under the tent after dinner in the main room. We made a reservation a month in advance for our family of 8 - dinner at 6:30 with an automatic reservation of a primo table for the jazz at 8:30. When we called on the prescribed day, the restaurant had made the reservation for six days in the future, on an evening when they did not have a jazz offering. They were fully booked, so we went to Plan B and reserved a table under the tent, where there is a passable pub food menu, mostly appetizers.

We ordered a round of cocktails, including a red wine type French aperitif called Lillet. This is usually served on the rocks with an orange slice. Here, it came straight up in a nondescript wine glass. We ordered a bottle of white and a bottle of red wines for the table. They brought one glass of red, and advised us that they were out of the white. As luck would have it, they were trying to serve us the wrong white wine. We pointed out that we wanted bottles of wine, not one glass and corrected the white wine error. This brought us two servers and one wine glass per person. One server could not open one of the bottles, and had to be helped by the other server. They poured the wine very close to the top of the wine glass, and had to be corrected if we were going to share this amongst our party of eight.

We had ordered our food in the interim, each person having selected a soup or salad, and then a second choice of one of the other appetizers on the menu. We asked the waitress to bring the soup and salads first, then the other courses as if it were an entree. They arrived with five cups of soup, but only one person had ordered a cup. Three others had ordered bowls of soup. They arrived with the second courses before they corrected the soup courses. All were returned to the kitchen. They returned with four bowls of soup. those that had ordered other first courses got nothing for at least another ten minutes.

Those that wanted a white wine to start and then switch to red had to drain their glasses and refill with a different color wine.

Those that had ordered the baked brie were treated to a third rate cheese that was neither ripe nor flavorful. It was served with a plateful of soggy, stale crackers.

Our waitress was very pleasant through all of this mess. While she was basically clueless, she tried very hard to make things right.

What a terrible reflection on the management of a restaurant that THINKS that it is the best on the Cape. I might vote them the best on The Bowery in New York City. This wait staff was totally untrained.

• Visited August 2011
7 Thank daddo
Chatham, Massachusetts
“The only thing "special" is the view.”
Reviewed July 31, 2011

Lovely view and setting. Incredibly small portions for the price. Two scallops for an entree?? I was embarrassed for my guest. The Caesar salad was soggy with dressing. It was not inexpensive by any means. This restaurant, I believe, pretends to be something it isn't. The people working there have an air of haughtiness instead of friendliness and they don't deliver in my estimation. Maybe it caters to it's Inn guests who are very different than your average discerning diner looking for a special evening of well prepared food and exceptional service. We don't mind paying a little extra for fine dining, but one should come away satisfied in every way.

• Visited July 2011
1 Thank JKS12
Naples, Florida
“Outstanding Dining Experience”
Reviewed July 28, 2011

Our party of eight adults had a thoroughly enjoyable dinner on Tuesday June 25. We were seated immediately for our 7:15 reservation. The wine list was extensive, with options in a variety of price ranges. Our Sancerre and Stag's Leap Cabernet were both under $70 and did not disappoint. Everyone loved their entrees and appetizers, especially the heirloom tomato salad, the lobster, and the halibut. The desserts were a nice size, light and not huge. The berry Pavlova and chocolate desserts were hits.
There was a musician singing jazz in the adjoining room who seemed to attract quite a following. The grounds around the resort are absolutely lovely. A great date night. I should also mention that the service was exquisite.