“Good service. Food was postively inedible.”
Review of 400 East

400 East
Ranked #22 of 70 Restaurants in Harwich
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The 400 East Restaurant & BarThe inside of this restaurant is so clean and well cared for, first-time visitors often think they've just opened. But the consistency of the wide variety of food items and efficient, friendly service evidence the excellence in this location since 1989. Fun appetizers, numerous salads, fresh ground charbroiled burgers, grilled thin crust pizzas, pastas, steaks, fresh seafood and more. Noted for creative daily specials. •Quick Off and On to Route 6 and Route 28 •Large Party Reservations •Frosty 16 oz. Draft Beer •Private Function Room
Reviewed March 4, 2013

Yesterday (Sunday March 3, 2013) four of us went for dinner at 530. Despite walking past 6 empty tables were were told we had to wait for 15 minutes as they were shorthanded. When seated our waitress, Ally, did a decent job given her workload. She was always very pleasant and helpful, if not prompt and attentive (not her fault). The Tavern Favorites include Fish and Chips; I had had a sensational meal of F&C at the Lobster Pot in Wareham a week ago and was ready for more.

When it arrived a single piece of some kind of crusted fish covered 90% of the plate. It was room temperature or less. And, incredibly, totally without taste. Perhaps that was a blessing. Balancing precariously off to the side were small cups of a tartar-like sauce and some cole slaw. Underneath all this were about 20 pieces of steak fries -- large, meaty cuts of potato. My guess is this was at least the third time they were fried. They were floppy with oil; tasteless (unless you count the fish-like taste that came from sharing the fryer with my entree and who knows what else) and burned.

I could fault Ally for bringing it out but I certainly fauly the chef... no, that's overstating it...the frycook for daring to serve it; and the owner for daring to put it on the menu.

Our dining partners went with the $20 meal and shared bottle of wine. They got the merlot. At least that's what it said on the side of the La Terre bottle. Vinegar has had better days. Rancid. Weak. Watery. Retched.

As I write this I'm kicking myself for not sending the "food" back... along with the "wine."

Not many places are open in the winter. And this should be one of them. Along with all the other months in the year. Shame on 400 East. And you've been warned.

4  Thank J M
gobsus, Owner at 400 East, responded to this reviewResponded March 6, 2013

Thank you for bringing to my attention your extreme disappointment on Sunday. I was there as your hostess Sunday night. I am also the owner. I do apologize for the wait. One of our waitresses had an accident, leaving us short handed last minute. We were unexpectedly busy. I thought it best to not completely overwhelm the girls I did have on so that your service would not suffer.
I would very much have loved the opportunity to make your experience that which we are known for...delicious food and drink being our goal for each and every customer. I do wish you had brought it to my or the waitresses attention so we could have made your night what it should have been. Please know that you can personally write me at gail@the400east.com ;I would like the chance to make it up to you.
I cannot imagine what went wrong with your food as you can tell by our rave reviews that this is not the norm. We have been known for our incredible food, including our Fish and Chips, for 24 years. As to the wine we have served many bottles with no complaints, you may have had one that was bad....this does happen with wine. Again, if we were not made aware of your distress at the time, there is not much we could have done to correct it for you. Please know you are our guests and we aim to make you comfortable and happy. Any complaints, though rare, are taken seriously and corrected immediately. Wish you had given us this chance. Sincerely, Gail Sluis

Reviewed January 31, 2013

There were not a lot of restaurants open at this tine of year, but thank goodness this one was. Food was great, loved the chowder.

Reviewed January 25, 2013

i eat here frequently. i'm rarely disappointed. the menu is varied with a mix of pub favorites and fancy restaurant fare. bartenders are always friendly and there are plenty of tv's within the confines of the bar to catch a game. nice place for the locals year round and tourists in season.
we had a sampler and a steak tip entree. both excellent. i love soup, and their choices never disappoint.

Reviewed January 16, 2013

The restaurant features dinners from hamburgers to continental dining. Nice size servings and very pleasant and efficient waitress staff. We have eaten there many times and have never been disappointed.

Reviewed December 24, 2012

My wife and I dropped in here for a quick meal before a choral performance, our second visit in 10 years, and were very pleasantly surprised. The tavern level menu was extensive, and offered tasty alternatives from sandwiches to full dinners. I really enjoyed a seafood pasta dish that had a delicious carbonara taste. It was very good, and since it was more filling than anticipated, we saved the leftovers for lunch the next day. Still great after a warmup. This is a family friendly place, with many children visible at our visit. Background noise was moderate, helpful for my hearing challenges. Prices were moderate, and the limited wine list still included some mid-priced, nice choices. We had a Sonoma Cutrer Chardonnay, a nice match with our creamy seafood choices. We'll be back when we're in the neighborhood again.