“Great family vacation, amazing site but some things to work on...” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Wequassett Resort and Golf Club

Wequassett Resort and Golf Club
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Harwich
Montreal
“Great family vacation, amazing site but some things to work on...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2012

The site of that resort is amazing, the rooms and the beds really comfortable, the staff is quick to answer any needs and to fix anything. We stayed in the sweet peas rooms on second floor for seven nights and although we could here from time to time some kids noises it was not disturbing. The boat ride to the nice beach is amazing and very fun with kids as we saw seals. The plays for kids, the pirate boat and the water plays are amazing so much that our sixteen months would start running towards there as soon as we got out of the room and scream of joy. That being said, since the price of that resort is quite high, so are our expectations. The kids club for toddler is only open 3 mornings per week and we cannot access the play room even when there is no kids programs in it. Why have amazing kids play room that we cannot use with our kids. Our sixteen months old loved the playroom but was not admitted at anytime even with parents supervision, it does not make sense. The pirates outside playground and the water play, our son s favorite is just open really early in the morning and late aftenoon during naptime because kids programs that uses it only 15 minutes during the day. Why not close it only during the time the kids program actually really use it? This is one of the main reasons we decided to go that resort and that playground is not used enough... This is a family resort, why not use the facilities at its full potential, we got no answer. The twenty eight atlantic was recommended to us on the first night we arrived. They told us at the reception of the dress code but they said we were fine as we were dressed. However, when we got there, the manager of the restaurant started to critized my husband cloathes telling him it was a private club which required a chic tenue. I told him we were there for seven nights and so it would be our only visit afterwhich he answered there was exceptions. We then feel we were not welcome there and the the reception had misled us as to the dress code. The ouster and grill has mgnificient view but the food is disappointing, fast food, deep fried, bad taste, for a ridiculus high price. Plus the 18 percent service tax for servers without any experience, very desappointing. They had also a family night with clowns and a movie which was a real success but the lady in front of us in line for face painting for kids thought the same: great site for families, great comfort in rooms but poor food at expansive price. We are thinking to come back next year for another week but we would like to have kids facilities more accesible and improve food quality.

Room Tip: We recommand second floor sweet peas.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Boubounette88
JosetteWillis, Manager at Wequassett Resort and Golf Club, responded to this review, August 19, 2012
Thank you for sharing feedback on your recent stay. We are delighted that you enjoyed several aspects of the resort including your room, the boat shuttle to the National Seashore and the staff.

I was disappointed to learn that our children’s center schedule did not meet your needs. Our free time is scheduled around children’s center programs which run 2-3 times a day for 1 ½ - 4 hour time periods. As a safety measure for the children participating in the sessions, we do not allow other guests in the outdoor play area during these programs. In addition, in between programs, the indoor play area is closed so that the area may be refreshed and sanitized before the next program begins. I have reviewed your feedback with the management team and we will certainly take a second look at the free time availability in effort to better accommodate requests like yours.

In addition, I was also disappointed to hear of your dissatisfaction with our food and beverage offerings and the difficulty you had with obtaining proper information on our fine dining restaurant’s dress code. I have shared your feedback with both the front office and food and beverage management teams and they join me in extending our sincerest apologies.

I would be delighted to have the opportunity to speak with you, please do not hesitate to contact me at 508-430-3024. Thank you again for taking the time share your feedback.

Director of Quality Assurance

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
Providence, Rhode Island, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2012

This is an amazing resort - lets start there. Just so you know. I give it 4/5 stars for a number of reasons. It's more like a 4.5. See, I remember this resort in 1995 when I was 15 and before their 20+million dollar renovation. I've been coming here for years so I thought I should write a review.

Here's how I feel about the resort now:

It's worth it to stay in the upgraded Signature Suites if you can spend the cash. That's the thing about the Wequasset - be prepared to spend some money if you come here in the high season. The Signature Suites are amazing, especially the bathrooms, and if you can't get a waterview, you can usually get a fire pit or hot tub to compensate. Make sure you ask when making your reservation. The best rooms for the view (that I saw anyway are 217 and 17). But these are more money than the regular rooms.

The main pool is awesome but can be very very crowded in summer. Also the menu has absolutely nothing healthy on it. The food is incredibly tasty (especially the Cobb salad) but there isn't anything on there that is less than 500/600 calories. Everything you order is awesome and the service poolside is completely worth it. They bring free watermelon, ice water, and smoothies throughout the day. If you get a cabana, get either # 1 or 8 if you have a sun lover in your party. Those have a bit more room and you can accommodate a few more people. The cabanas are perfect for 2 people with a baby who don't want to get in the sun. Or just people who don't want direct sun and would prefer to be away from the kid filled pool. They bring baskets for the morning cabana time and for the afternoon filled with snacks and drinks. Around 4 it's free wine time. Try the sparkling rose (not sure if this one is included, they may have been nice to me because I begged), you won't stray to another glass of wine in your LIFE.

There is a lap pool just for adults up near the tennis courts. Hands down my favorite quiet spot in the resort. No food or drink service but it's lovely. You don't need that when they are handing out 400 bottles of Wequassett water everywhere. I asked to take some home. I realize the water is probably Poland Spring with a Wequassett logo - but STILL. :)

Ok - dining. If you want to come here, and you don't know Cape Cod, make SURE you do your research on dining. 28 Atlantic (the hotel restaurant) is one of the fanciest restaurant on the Cape and it'll be hard for you to dine with kids and/or in shorts. Plan a babysitter or something the night you want to actually dine in the hotel. You can always go down to the more casual pool bar/restaurant that overlooks the water and they have GREAT jazz. The firepit is awesome too. HUGE. But I might spend my nights at local places: Chatham Squire in Chatham, Mahoneys in Orleans, Land Ho in Orleans - places like that.

Okay so back to the rooms - it really is all about the room choice at the Wequassett. If you stay on the first floor make sure you ask if people are above you as it can be noisy sometimes. They are a very very kid friendly hotel (they have their own children's center and costume wearing pirates!! that walk around the grounds) so be okay with screaming children at 8/9pm as parents put their kids to bed. Ask where your room is, you may think you want to be near the pool but in July there are jazz shows in the evenings and that pool bar can be BONKERS. As a side note, the children's center is amazing. In the back they have a pirate ship and a few hours a day, there is a water play area. Fountains come on and kids can run through spraying water at the base of the pirate ship. They have "pirate canons" which are really just huge water guns you can spray at your loved ones like your Mom who might get mad at you after...oops. I can't say I did this :)

Also, they have 4/5 tennis courts. Dave, the master tennis teacher is awesome. He's been there FOREVER, which is nice.

I freakin' love this place. Seriously. But they MUST get healthier options on their menus. The kids get organic chicken fingers. What about some chicken sandwiches for adults? Salmon without 4 tons of butter and sauce? It was all so tasty but I had to run an extra mile on the treadmill every day.

Hope this review helps you. The Wequassett is definitely worth it.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank RebeccaJoyM
Dear Rebecca,

Thank you for your thoughtful feedback regarding your recent visit to the resort. I am delighted that you enjoyed the renovations that have been made to the resort since your last visit. Our goal is to offer our guests a world-class experience.

It was nice to hear that you enjoyed our new luxurious Signature Collection guest rooms, both of the resort’s pools , our award winning children’s center and of course our fabulous tennis pro, Dave.

I was disappointed to learn that you did not find enough healthy food options on the menu. Our executive chef has made an effort to offer healthier menu choices and has added organic items to our children’s menu along with purchasing products from local farms. We are also happy to accommodate individual requests and prepare menu items to guest specifications.

Thank you again for taking the time to share the details of your visit. I would be delighted to speak with you further, please do not hesitate to contact me at 508-430-3024. We look forward to your return to the resort for a future visit.

New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2012

We had a very special experience at this informal venue and would recommend it to anyone who loves to a water view. The Outer Bar and Grille is located on the grounds of the Wequaswett Resort and is open to the public -- after you turn into the Wequassett Resort, follow the signs for The Outer Bar and Grille which will lead you down to this lovely venue. On a picture-perfect August evening, my husband and I had drinks at the outdoor bar, then dinner on the open deck, both of which overlook Pleasant Bay -- the view was amazing! Our meal was very good in this informal setting -- fish tacos for me, a scallop roll for my husband, and a great bottle of New Zealand sauvignon blanc. The service was good, and the waiter did not rush us so that we could enjoy the changing evening sky. If you want a romantic Cape Cod evening, try the Outer Bar and Grille!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank junhjem
Thank you for your review on the Outer Bar and Grille. We were delighted to hear you enjoyed the food, service and of course the panaromic views of beautiful Pleasant Bay. It is truly a special location that we are proud to be able to offer to our guests.

We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience. Please do not hesitate to contact me at 508-430-3024 if I may be of any assistance to you. We look forward to welcoming you back to the resort in the near future.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2012

They promise you the world but they are a wedding factory. They are condescending and do not be fooled by their sales pitch because they stick you with a differant wedding planner. They promised us they would ONLY do two weddings in one day but they did three. If you want something special look around, a very underwhelming service staff for what you are paying.

• Stayed September 2011
8 Thank Cesheridan10
JosetteWillis, Manager at Wequassett Resort and Golf Club, responded to this review, August 14, 2012
We were certainly disappointed to receive your review and to learn of your dissatisfaction with your wedding. The resort prides itself on offering all of our clients a unique and customized service experience and is proud to be No. 5 on Forbes Travel Guide’s exclusive list of “Ten Top Luxury Hotels for Weddings”. It is concerning to hear that we did not leave you with a positive impression on your special day.

Although at times, there may be more than one event at the resort, our experienced catering team is there to ensure that each event receives individualized attention. I am sorry you did not feel you received this level of personalized service. I would welcome the opportunity to speak with you to discuss your wedding; please feel free to contact me at 508-430-3024.

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback.

Boston, Massachusetts
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2012

We have been staying at the Wequassett for 13 years and returned again this year. However the room we reserved in Sweet Pea in the winter was not available, and we were given a room in Petunia overlooking the parking lot for our five night stay. We were told that there were a lot of groups staying together and our room was not available.

Later during our stay, we returned to our room from the pool area to find no hot water available. We reported it to the front desk and heard nothing back. Later that evening, we asked the woman who came for turndown service. She radioed
in and was told the whole building was out and they were working on the problem. We had no hot water until the next morning. I understand that problems can arise but I found it unexcusable that our inconvenience was never acknowledged by the staff. I have written a letter of complaint and have had no reply.

During the nights, word for word conversations could be heard through the door to the adjoining room and light was shining in through the base of the door.

I do not know if we will return next year.

Room Tip: End room with no door to an adjoining room
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
9 Thank hadley7
JosetteWillis, Manager at Wequassett Resort and Golf Club, responded to this review, August 11, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to speak with me regarding your recent visit to the resort. As mentioned, we were certainly disappointed to learn of the shortfalls you experienced during your stay. I have reviewed our conversation in detail with the appropriate departmental managers and they join me in extending our sincerest apologies.

We are delighted to hear that we have restored your confidence and can’t wait to welcome you back to the resort next year. In the meantime, our best wishes once again for an enjoyable remainder of the summer.

Barcelona, Spain
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2012

I stayed in this very beautiful resort to attend a conference in early May 2012. Even though it was rainy and a little bit cold outside, I had a great time there. I had to share the room with a colleague, but as the room was big enough, it felt very comfortable. The place is big and very, very quiet. It has several restaurants and a pretty nice bar. Food was excellent, they organized a fantastic clam bake and the breakfast options were breathtaking.
The reception staff is very helpful, they handed us cold water and maps for our morning run and they gave us a lift to downtown Chatham at no cost. I can only imagine that the place would be even better in summer or if you go there with a significant other.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Daniel025
JosetteWillis, Manager at Wequassett Resort and Golf Club, responded to this review, July 27, 2012
Dear Daniel;

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent conference experience at the resort. I was pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay and that our staff was very helpful.

Please do not hesitate to contact me at 508-430-3024 if I may be of any assistance to you during a future visit. We look forward to welcoming you back to the resort.

Best regards,

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2012

This place is simply incredible - for those considering the cape, stay here. Its not cheap during july and august but to us it was worth every penny. It is clear from your first encounter with staff that these guys really want to look after their customers - this place is really service oriented, from the staff at the gorgeous pool, to the waitstaff at 28 atlantic - to the driver of the courtesy car...their concern is your happiness. Unlike many other places on the cape who simply are not wired this way because they feel they will have business no matter how they treat their customers - this place takes a different approach. The grounds are incredible, the pool is tranquil and the food is delicious. This place cost us over 750 per night but its the best money we have spent - places around the cape cost the same but in comparison are not even worth half this amount. These guys will take care of you - my husband and I will be back every year and next year we will bring our son with us - we cannot wait to see eevryone again. Thanks so much for making a huge difference on the cape.

• Stayed July 2012
Dear Natalie;

Thank you so much for sharing your feedback on your recent stay. I was truly delighted to receive your review, as we strive to make every guest feel the same way after their stay at the resort.

Our company philosophy is based on customer intimacy and our goal at the resort is to develop life-long relationships with our guests. We achieve this by offering each guest a customized service experience, an experience they are unable to get anywhere else. I was pleased to hear that we achieved this during your stay.

Please do not hesitate to contact me at 508-430-3024 if I may be of any assistance to you during a future visit. We look forward to your return to the resort in 2013.

Best regards,

Director of Quality Assurance
Also consider these accommodations in or near Harwich
The Mansion at Ocean Edge Resort & Golf Club
Anchor In Hotel
Anchor In Hotel
#1 of 22 in Hyannis
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,020 reviews

Been to Wequassett Resort and Golf Club? Share your experiences!