“Great food”

Add it.
Andale Cafe
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Small restaurant -- great food -- easy to get to; very relaxing atmosphere. Service was good. Went with a few people and they were able to accommodate our needs.

Reviewed September 4, 2012

I wanted to sit inside, until I saw inside (no charm), so we sat out on the deck. It was very nice out there but dark... only a small part of the Christmas lights on the deck were working and a very large section were burned out. No candles at the tables either, so it was very hard to see the menu. I know this happens with Christmas lights, but when it does, I think the management should get right on it. I felt sorry for the tall waiter who had to continually duck under the low umbrella over our table but I guess they're all used to that.

We were hopeful about our dinners when we got the salsa and chips. I had read reviews that the tortilla chips were soggy, but ours weren't. We liked them a lot and though I wished they'd given us more salsa, it was yummy, you could taste the cilantro. Then the nachos came out and though they were laden with "stuff" my husband and I thought they were quite tasteless (needed some of that good salsa, at the very least), also they were prepared on top of a sheet of waxed paper, so there was no picking at the melted cheese on the platter as I usually do - it was all stuck to the paper. Unfortunate.

Most of the entrees are priced at around $14.95. We ended up both getting the fish tacos at (I think) $6.95. Didn't come with any sides so I ordered the refried beans and my husband the black beans. He also got rice. The sides are expensive for what they are, although my beans were good (he said mine had more flavor). I guess I shouldn't have been surprised, given the comparative price, but the fish tacos were tiny! Miniature! Wee! Also, unfortunately, flavorless. Where is all the flavor at this restaurant?? We were glad they brought a bottle of hot sauce, as that was essential to give the dish any flavor whatsoever.

We liked the deck and the location in Harwich is convenient for us. The waiter was attentive. We wished we liked the restaurant better but given our experience, we won't be coming back.

1  Thank rhymedog
Reviewed September 3, 2012

My wife and I ate lunch at Andale! today, this despite the many posted negative reviews. We sat on the deck under an umbrella and enjoyed excellent service and food. My wife ordered one of the burritos, I ordered the ground beef enchiladas. Both meals were excellent - preparation, presentation and taste. After the meal, we had a long and interesting discussion about food with Eduardo, the owner. Eduardo is from Mexico; my dad was from Catalonia and trained as a cook when entering the USA legally in 1920 at age 17. Dad trained me well ...

My wife and I traveled extensively during our careers and have long been considered "foodies".

I believe that most Mexican restaurants actually prepare Tex-Mex style food, some in the Tejano style, no matter what their menus indicate. Most also prepare food in the style that the Norto's think is Mexican food. Andale! prepares the closest to authentic Mexican food that I have had in the USA in a long time.

Mexican food is spicy, piquante, often with some low heat that grows cumulatively as one progresses through the meal. Tex-Mex food hits hard at the front of the mouth and tongue ... and many hours later a lot lower.

Many of the previous 30 reviews ranted about improper service (did not experience it), cold food (no way!) and poor preparation (nope, not our meal) and a lunatic owner. Did not experience any hint of this during our 20 minute discussion. On the other hand, if the place is jumping at dinner time and a patron acts in a belligerent way, maybe not reporting an issue as an act of negotiation but acting with blatant righteous indignation and arrogance, I can see that someone who puts in 80+ hour weeks running a small cafe could get a bit testy.

We will return ... and anyone with doubts should dine at Andale! Excellent REAL Mexican food! What a treat ...

As Eduardo told each other: Hasta la luego!

Reviewed August 20, 2012

If you are looking for a place for a good mexican meal and reasonable prices this is the place to go. Service is OK. Sat outside to enjoy the surroundings. Nothing fancy but only one of two restuarants located in town.

Reviewed August 11, 2012

My sister named this place as an easy place to find when we visited her on her vacation. She told us the food was great (and it was) or that the service was slow (fine for a reunion - glad we didn't have the grandkids.) We sat outside - the inside looked like a locals bar so we were grateful it didn't rain. Pricey for a lunch, but it is a tourist town and everything was fresh, so maybe it was worth it.