“New England Charm spiced with a bit of Italy!”

Olde Hitching Post Restaurant
Ranked #2 of 21 Restaurants in Hanson
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff
Plymouth Massachusetts
“New England Charm spiced with a bit of Italy!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2013

My husband and I met on Valentine's Day in 1969 so we decided to beat the rush (and use a BOGO not valid on holidays) and dine at the Olde Hitching Post the night before.
We shared 2 appetizers, the Spinach Pie and the Autumn Salad, they alone could have fed us but we then ordered the Breaded Haddock and the Seafood Platter. The food was just delicious. The wait staff couldn't have been more attentive and the evening was just what we wanted except for two things.
One was a mirror on the back wall that my husband found a distraction as the moves of diners behind him would catch his eye and draw his attention even though he tried not to notice. The other was a couple at the table just before ours who spent our entire meal time (they were done but not departed) talking across the room (albeit, it's a small room) about their trip to Italy. It was very tempting to ask the wait staff or ask them directly to take their conversation into the bar or at least sit at the same table as the folks they were talking to but we just kept quite and tried to pretend it wasn't an imposition to try to carry on our own conversation above theirs. I can tell you they enjoyed their trip and found the Europeans very friendly.
Other than that, dine at the Olde Hitching Post. You'll be glad you did.

• Visited February 2013
4 Thank JuliannaKempton

East Bridgewater, Massachusetts
“Ok I guess”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2013

Back in the day this restaurant was great. I loved the stake tips and eggs with baked beans for breakfast.
I haven't been there in a very long time and decided to give it a try with the wife and kids.

We went for breakfast and were greeted and seated very quickly, except we were placed in the dark room to the right ,not the nice sunny bright room in front of us.
Dark boarded walls seemed to close this room in and add no atmosphere.
We ordered our food and was very disappointed that the eggs Benedict was COLD. How do you serve cold eggs?
This was a huge disappointment, the kids eggs were ok as well. Sorry to this place not be up to par as it used to be really nice.
Hope they get there act together. I would hate to see another business in the area close.

• Visited December 2012
4 Thank khal71
Halifax, Massachusetts
“Big dissapointment!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2012

Went to this restaurant several times years ago and always enjoyed it. So, when my daughter said she didn't want to cook if she could help it and didn't want me to bother either, we decided to give it a try for Thanksgiving dinner. There were only going to be four us going out so it seemed like a good idea. Upon arrival at the restaurant, we were seated right away, and our drink orders taken. When the waitress arrived with our drinks she asked if we were ready to order. We told her that we hadn't been given menus as yet (and, neither had another group who were seated at the same time next to us). The waitress got us all menus and then came back within a few minutes to take the order. My daughter's partne then gave her a $20 bill and thanked her for "working on a holiday". We ordered two appetizers: one stuffed mushrooms and one potatoe skins. For dinner we ordered one ham dinner, one stuffed shrimp and two haddock oscars. Upon receiving the appetizers, both my daughter and her partner stated that they were plain bread stuffing with no spices, celery, onions or anything else to liven them up. The skins were OK, but nothing to praise. Upon receiving our dinners the haddock appeared to have been deep fried instead of baked and that also had no real taste. My shrimp had the same plain bread stuffing as the mushrooms and the baked potatoe could have cooked a while longer. The butternut squash was runny. The ham was supposed to have a pineapple ring with a rum glaze but was delivered plain instead. Unfortunately, the waitress didn't come back again until it was time for either the check or dessert. My daughter's partner asked for the check and gave her a very liberal tip on top of the money he had already given to her at the beginning of the meal. She never bothered to come back to thank us and upon leaving the restaurant the hostess and another waitress were talking at the podium and didn't even bother to look up or say anything to us. I can honestly say that we felt it was a big mistake going there. My daughter said that eating at Burger King would have given us more flavor and definitely wouldn't have been as costly! Hospital food would have been a big step up to what was served there.

• Visited November 2012
13 Thank Aldine M
Middleboro, Massachusetts
“Wasn't as good as I thought it would be”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2012

I read in the paper that "Kitchen Nightmares" filmed an episode there recently so I thought I would go back, after staying away for about two years, to see if this restaurant had improved (we used to love this restaurant, but were disappointed the last few times we were there). There was an extremely limited menu, although our waitress told us that they were currently experimenting with their menu and would possibly be making some changes and additions in the future. We were each able to find something on the menu that we liked, but it probably would have been an issue if our kids had come along. I ordered shrimp scampi, which was excellent. My husband ordered meatloaf, which he really enjoyed. There was a slight screw-up with our drink order, but overall the service was adequate. My husband really liked the key lime pie. As I mentioned, the meals were very good, but there was really nothing about the experience that would tempt us to go back over and above any of the other restaurants that we enjoy.

• Visited July 2012
14 Thank 1311lb
Boston
“Comfortable Dining”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2012

The myriad of dining rooms of various sizes affords the feeling of dining in someone's home. All of the "nooks and crannies" also absorb sounds very well so that conversation is easy without shouting at each other. The service was very good, portion sizes excellent and food prices quite reasonable. One of our party found the prime rib a little grisly but otherwise good. Pricing (or selection) of wines were not commensurate with the menu prices, and were therefore much too high. A selection of more affordable budget wines might be in order.

• Visited June 2012