“Very nice”

Vacation Village in the Berkshires
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Hancock
Reviewed February 17, 2013

My husbands parents gave us a two night weekend away at their time share. It was a very nice time. The room was clean and we enjoyed the surrounding area as it is def. romantic. We went back a year later with out 8 year old son and had a complete blast. I really liked how it was a condo that we got to bring food and our own linens. If we had the resources we would love to go back as often as possible.

While we did have to sit through a time share presentation I really enjoyed how friendly everyone was. Anything we needed was provided!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
vacationvillage, Guest Relations Manager at Vacation Village in the Berkshires, responded to this reviewResponded March 8, 2013

WOW! We cannot thank you enough for your wonderful recommendation of Vacation Village in the Berkshires! We strive to provide a great vacation experience for every guest that chooses to stay with us and we’re happy to know that you’ve continually enjoyed our accommodations and warm hospitality. We look forward to welcoming you back to The Berkshires the next time your travels bring you to the area.

Reviewed February 6, 2013

In December 2012, booked two units for a 3-nights stay February 2-5, 2013 through RCI. This was a planned family get together to go skiing. Having received confirmation, I went ahead and bought 4-daylift tickets for 8. Confirmation stated pets not allowed, although it was a pet-friendly resort at the time of making the reservation. So, I made arrangements for pet-care at our end. Four days before arriving, RCI called to inform me that there would be a $40.00 per unit charge for cleaning. This was never mentioned at the time of booking or in the confirmation sheet. Several things changed like the Wi-Fi was free; not anymore, pet friendly then, not now. Attempted to cancel reservation, but they were not willing to re-instate my points. Decided to eat the additional $80.00 instead of loosing the $800.00 in lift tickets.

Entrance to this compound located on Brodie Mountain Rd. about half a mile past entrance for Jiminy Peak on the left. They offer a shuttle to the mountain for $8 one way or $16 round trip for family of six. Check in at 4:00 PM; check out at 10:00 AM. Arrived at 4:05 and waited 20 minutes for check in. Not a good start. Counter staff very friendly. I was informed they are pet-friendly again!

Door opens to common foyer for two units. Unit A: Spacious with well appointed décor, one bedroom with Jacuzzi and small TV (no flat screens in this unit, living room has a sleeper sofa, electric fireplace and TV, dinning table seats six and a full kitchen with pots, pans, kitchenware and silverware for a six place setting. Balcony has table and four chairs.
Unit B: Smaller, table for four, no Jacuzzi, no dishwasher, electric 2-burner plug-in instead of stove. No balcony.

Washer and drier are available in each floor.

Better shop before you arrive as civilization is about 15-20 minutes away. For groceries and restaurants, follow Brodie to Rt. 7, make a right and continue to Pittsfield.

Decent accommodations despite the cracked tiles on the floor of the bathroom, the torn wallpaper fixed with spackling compound, a few holes on the walls and a small tear on the carpet (Not kidding, look at the pictures). You can hear your neighbors, especially the ones upstairs. I’m still decided to have a good time with the kids. First day we come back after skiing eight hours and our room was not cleaned. I called the front counter and was informed that the extra cleaning fee I paid was for a cleaning after I leave! Are you serious?

Not a Gold Crown resort by any stretch of imagination. No restaurant, hence no room service, no toiletries, Wi-Fi available only if you pay activity fee, no room cleaning unless you pay $25 per day, you have to take out your own garbage and, at the end of your stay, you must put your used towels in the tub or the Jacuzzi or there will charge you yet another fee (I think $125). There is a late check in fee also. Not a guest-friendly “resort”. Very poor, ambivalent Will not recommend and will not return.

Dear Board of Directors; Take this as an honest opinion of my experience at your Berkshire site. I’m not young and have done my share of travel. I’m not the complaining type. I book, pay and enjoy and this was a memorable stay for the wrong reasons.

Room Tip: Ask for second floor, no neighbors or corner with balcony facing Jiminy.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank Pelayo R
vacationvillage, Guest Relations Manager at Vacation Village in the Berkshires, responded to this reviewResponded February 14, 2013

Thank you for posting about your experience with us. We’re sorry that our resort and policies didn’t meet your expectations. We work hard in providing an excellent vacation experience for travelers and most of the time we are successful. Vacation Village in the Berkshires Resort normally resonates with many travelers because we offer affordable accommodations in a locale known for it’s expensive lodging choices. We’re sorry that you were disappointed with our services and we hope that we may have an opportunity to welcome you back and have another chance to prove that we’re a great value in The Berkshires.

Reviewed February 4, 2013

Vacation Village is awesome and located across the street and about 100 yards up from Jiminy Peak. Still, with a long and winding driveway, you'll definitely want to drive to the mountain. The rooms are large and clean, and the indoor pool is awesome. The floors in the wooden buildings are a bit noisy, so you can hear the people walking above you. The only thing to remember is that before you check out, you must strip the beds, put linens and towels in the bathtub, and wash any dishes used. If you don’t, they charge $75. I had a friend remind me of this and so it wasn't a problem. This means the dishes were all washed by prior guests, so we didn't use them.

Room Tip: Get a top floor room to avoid hearing people walking above you.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank gculliss

Thank you for your 5-star recommendation! Our spacious accommodations and amenities make our resort a perfect vacation destination. We’re happy that you appreciated the value we offer our guests at Vacation Village in the Berkshires and we hope to share our hospitality with you again soon

Reviewed January 30, 2013

We returned to Vacation Village for MLK weekend for the second year in a row. This year, we stayed in one of the "new" units in building 25. I was surprised to find out that the "new" A unit is considerably smaller than the "old" A units. Where was the dining room table that seated 8? Of course the family traveling with us was pleased with the improvements to the "new" C unit, which was a bit larger than the old B unit and had a dishwasher to boot.

We love the location across from Jiminy Peak! Why spend $400 plus to stay on property with Vacation Village just across the street? And the double units are perfect for two families of 3-4.

As other reviewers have noted, VV is not a hotel! There is no daily service. Be prepared to take out your own trash and to follow a list of departure instructions that include stripping the beds.

In terms of food, there isn't much nearby. We brought breakfast foods and lots of snacks/appetizers with us. One night we ate at the Tavern at Jiminy Peak. Another night we ordered pizza/italian and had it delivered.

While at VV, my 9-year-old became quite ill. Although the directory provided by VV lists a "walk in" medical facility, I learned that it's not really a walk-in center. So we visited the express care center at the Berkshire Medical Center emergency room. The staff was fabulous, calling around to every local pharmacy looking for Tami-Flu in liquid form. While filling the prescription at a Pittsfield CVS, I took the opportunity to pick up a couple of things at the BigY. I thought the prices there were very fair. (Not like the "supermarkets" near Downtown Disney in Orlando!)

Looking forward to returning for Presidents' weekend!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you sharing your vacation experience here on TripAdvisor. We’re so happy that you enjoyed your time with us at Vacation Village in the Berkshires and that our staff were able to assist you. Your comments have been shared with the resort’s management team so that they will be aware of your kind words. We take great pride in our resort and our service and we look forward to welcoming you back on President’s Weekend!

Reviewed January 24, 2013

I just spent MLK weekend with my kids at Vacation Village. We stayed at 2 bedroom deluxe which was large in size and very comfortable. The place is clean and the kitchen is very convenient. I prepared breakfast every morning making sure my kids had the proper breakfast before hitting the slopes. The kids truly enjoyed Jiminy Peaks and I enjoyed having a big clean space after a long day at the slopes.The only negative experience I had was trying to connect to the wifi,(9.95 daily) I had difficulty connecting the service so after few phone calls trying to resolve the issues, I got inpatient and end up signing my iPad with Verizon service and opted out of the wifi. Other than that it was a great weekend. I will definitely go back.

Room Tip: Make sure you go to the supermarket on your way there since the closest supermarket is approximately...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
vacationvillage, Guest Relations Manager at Vacation Village in the Berkshires, responded to this reviewResponded February 1, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your recommendation of Vacation Village in the Berkshires. We apologize for the issue you experienced with the WiFi service but are thankful that you and your family enjoyed their time with us. We’re thrilled that we were able to proved a great weekend and look forward to welcoming your family back the next time you want to hit the slopes!

Reviewed January 12, 2013

Location - right across from Jiminy peak ski resort. It's up in the mountain taking approx. 30 min to Pittsfield or Williamstown from here. Lost cell phone connection quite often. Took us about 1 hour from Albany International airport to the resort.

Room - Spacious room with fully equipped kitchen. Only three floors to each building, and there is a pet friendly resort so you can bring your pets. Electronic fire place available. Laundry is available on each floor.

Amenities - game rooms, indoor/outdoor swimming pool, movie rentals. Only indoor pool available during the winter season. Disappointed that there was no more on-site massage service available.

Restaurants - The restaurant inside Jiminy Peak was pretty good.

Staff - everyone was friendly ;-)

Room Tip: Having to stay at the building closer to the registration was convenient when using the gym or the s...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
vacationvillage, Guest Relations Manager at Vacation Village in the Berkshires, responded to this reviewResponded January 14, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share. Conveniently located near Jiminy Peak, Vacation Village in the Berkshires offers guests relaxing vacations in spacious accommodations with amenities not found in most hotel properties. We’re happy that you were pleased with many amenities and friendly service and we hope that we may share our hospitality with you again.

Reviewed January 12, 2013

Went for a pre-Christmas week getaway with hubby. I purchased here a few years ago when it was nearing completion and hadn't visited since, so I figured it was time to go. While I have no complaints to speak of I was a wee bit disappointed that it was not quite the gold crown resort I expected and perceived it to be at time of purchase, but close to it.

We didn't have need during this visit for connecting condos which I'm entitled to and opted for the one-bedroom "A" unit master suite. The unit is spacious and reasonably nicely (but not beautifully) appointed, first impression was adequately aesthetically pleasing. First and foremost I must comment that it was exceedingly clean. Despite the LR furniture upholstery looking ever so slightly dingy it was unmistakably clean, not even a hint of any odor, and throughout the unit not a speck of dust nor anything else was detectable. The electric fireplace in the LR was a nice touch and a good sized outdoor balcony overlooking the woods and partial view of the slopes at Jiminey Peak was serene and pleasing (I was happy we did not have a unit with a balcony overlooking the parking lot).

The kitchen was well supplied with appliances and all necessary wares for cooking, serving and dining. Note that while all paper goods are supplied (even coffee filters) no foodstuffs are, not even salt & pepper, and I prefer it that way to ward off pests. On the second morning when our coffee maker went on the fritz, I went with thermal coffee mug in hand to the main lobby where complimentary morning coffee & tea are available and reported the trouble. By the time I returned to our unit a brand new coffee maker was in place, along with a message from an attentive front desk employee advising I had left my coffee mug behind.

The master bedroom was roomy, had very ample closet space, a comfortable king-sized bed and nice bedding. The jacuzzi tub area in the MBR was inviting with mirrored walls, soft, dim lighting and sufficient ledge space for your bath oils, glass of bubbly, rolled up towels for your neck, etc. While not facing the tub area, there is an additional flat screen TV in the MBR.

We did not make use of the laundry facilities (available on every floor, including detergent) and once again - exceedingly clean. Nor did we use the indoor pool but young families seemed to be enjoying it - no complaints to be found with cleanliness of the pool, locker/shower, mini-gym or common bathroom areas. I personally witnessed (during early and late hours) cleaning personnel wiping every louver of the window blinds in the bathroom and every leaf of the silk plants in the lobby. Another thing to be said for maintenance - the "catwalks" to some of the units had wood planking that appeared to be potentially slippery - there were two light snowfalls during our visit and they were immediately cleared and very well salted.

Other "amenities" worth mentioning - outdoor hot tub, a small vending/game room for the young ones, on-site concierge familiar with area attractions & events, 24-hour front desk service, an extensive DVD library from which you can borrow movies. While I hear that "non-owners" pay a nominal fee for in-room WIFI, that is supposedly changing and there is free service available on the 6-station computer area off the lobby.

All in all we would not hesitate to return, with or without guests.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple

WOW! We cannot thank you enough for your wonderful comments about your stay with us. It’s truly a pleasure to know when a member of our family of owners enjoys their time with us at Vacation Village in the Berkshires. The small details matter to us and we’re happy that you noticed them too, like our excellent housekeeping and front desk team. We thank you for sharing your experience in detail with our tripadvisor readers and we look forward to sharing our hospitality with you again the next time you’re in the Berkshires.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Hancock
Black Swan Inn Berkshires, an Ascend Collection Hotel
Hotel on North
Hotel on North
#1 of 8 in Pittsfield
Wyndham at Bentley Brook

Been to Vacation Village in the Berkshires? Share your experiences!