“Great experience”

Country Inn at Jiminy Peak
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Hancock
Reviewed August 24, 2013

We had a wonderful stay. The staff is friendly and the facilities were perfect for our family. It is quiet, yet close to many activities for the family. We had dinner there one night and the food was wonderful. Debbie, our waitress, was exceptional. We made good use of the kitchen for meals and snacks. Some of the pans were a challenge, but it was workable. Our children enjoyed the pool and we all had great fun at Mountain Adventure. In all, it is a relaxing, fun experience.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
JiminyPeakMtnResort, Front Office Manager at Country Inn at Jiminy Peak, responded to this reviewResponded October 14, 2013

Thank you for such a wonderful review regarding our resort and our staff. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next vacation!

Reviewed August 23, 2013

Upon pulling up to the Country Inn my girlfriend and I were quite hopeful that our room would be just as nice based on the nice exterior of the building. And then we checked in and got to our room. At first glance, it seems like a pretty good room. But if you actually stay in it and use it, you'll find out just how wrong that first impression can be.

Check-in was nice enough and the gentleman behind the counter was as well. No problems there. We received our 2 night stay with late noon checkout and a pass to Jiminy's parks from my parents through a LivingSocial voucher. We stayed in a king suite with a kitchenette and sitting area (we stayed in room 216, which is on the ground floor strangely).

First and foremost, they need to do something about all the hairs we found everywhere.There was hair tangled in the hair dryer cord in the bathroom, hair on some of the towels, hair on the floor, and hair in and on the bed. Now we're not talking copious amounts of hair. But nobody wants to pull back the covers(which had stains on it) to get into bed only to discover two long dark hairs and a shorter one that looked as if it came from someone's pubic area. If you push past this you will then notice the considerable sag the mattress has. It's not comfy; on the contrary, it made me feel dirty because the bed felt like many many people had slept in it. Read some of the other reviews from YEARS past, yes years that the mattresses have been this way, if you can't believe it. I've stayed at an Econo Lodge with better bedding. To top off the whole bed situation the headboard was not attached to the wall. The board that the headboard sat on had come right out of the wall and was stuck into the wall a few feet from where it was supposed to be, causing the headboard to move considerably back and forth. Also, the walls are pretty thin so you can hear what sounds like basketball being played on the floor above you and the doors slamming in the hallways and people talking-far from ideal. Now you would think that anyone changing the bed would find this out, but here's where the story gets even better.

As we were enjoying our breakfast at 9:30 in our room housekeeping came to call. (As an aside, when we were leaving we noticed other doors had do not disturb signs on their handles but our room did not have one that we could find after searching high and low.) When I answered the door and asked if they could come back later I was told "Well yeah, but I won't be here later because I'm leaving early, so do you need anything?" by the lady who seemed to be directing the younger housekeeping staff on what to do. Excuse me? You can't come back and clean my room because you're leaving early? Nevertheless I overlooked this and said no to everything except for a change of sheets on the bed. She then directed Harriet to go grab some clean sheets and said that Harriet would be back momentarily with them. Harriet then asked if I would like to just take them or have her put them on. Why would I make my own bed when staying at a hotel? Furthermore, the hairs we found on the bed (minus the pubic) seem to have belonged to Harriet, not that that makes it any better or explains the hair everywhere else.

Next, when you get up to take a shower, make sure you close the doors as the sign in the bathroom says because if your shower creates any steam it will set off the smoke alarm, a problem which should be remedied through proper ventilation, but then again, they don't seem to put much thought or care into the rooms. Also, one of the lights in our bathroom would randomly shut off and come back on when the switch was on, while the second light in the fixture would remain on. And the toilet is obviously too old because it seems to use a lot of water when you flush and not to mention that the seat is not the same color as the toilet and it also is not the proper size for the toilet because it hangs out past the front of the toilet about an inch or so.

Nevertheless we drove 4 hours from Maine and arrived rather late knowing that we couldn't check in until 4. The next morning we went on the Mountain Adventure Park rides, which were mildly entertaining, minus the waiting in line in the hot sun. Save yourself and go for the Aerial Adventure Park, a ropes course that is a lot of fun for almost anyone. We on a Friday, the day after we did the Mountain Adventure and there was hardly anyone on the course or really anywhere. We spent 3 hours on the course and probably could have spent another hour.

We also did the Segway tour which was just okay. There's not much to see or learn about Jiminy and there is a lot of hills and slopes that you go on. Also, my girlfriend fell off of hers because it just randomly stopped on her without warning and she got a bit beat up by the tires. Not worth the $39, which is contrary to the $49 the website lists.

Overall, I would not recommend staying here. Stay at another area hotel like a Hampton or some other hotel and go for the ropes course.

Room Tip: Don't even bother staying here, go somewhere else
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank nwalt7

Thank you for your review. I'm sorry that you found our rooms and Country Inn to be less then what you expected. Each year we make significant investments and refurbishments into the property. I wish I would have had the opportunity to correct the issue during your stay and ensure you a comfortable accomodation. Although we didn’t meet your expectations, we hope that your experience doesn’t deter you from visiting The Berkshires in the future.

Reviewed August 17, 2013 via mobile

The housekeeping needs to get into the corners - tbd bldg bannisters - elevators and woodworking had some build up - the surface clean is good but look a little deeper and a paintbrush and elbow grease will do magic. The place is fun for families - the country store food and staff deserves a honorable mention - pot pie at John Harvard also quite good. Not a terrible stay but nothing to write home about.

• Stayed: August 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your vacation experience. Your concerns have been passed on to the appropriate departments. Please know that we take your concerns seriously and will make every effort to improve on our standards. We hope you will return so that we may have the opportunity to fulfill your expectations.

Reviewed August 17, 2013

This property was what I expected, but a little bit better. The location between Lenox and Williamstown is central for exploring the area. The inn is clean, quiet, comfortable and the staff is pleasant. The room layouts are fantastic with a bedroom, living area and kitchen. It's a great setup for families because there is a sleep-sofa and 2 sinks in the bathroom with a door between for privacy. There are lots of adventure activities in summer and the mountain looks great for skiing. My only suggestions for improvement are maintenance should touch up the minor scuffs on the walls and the website should be updated to list air conditioning. Some ski resorts do not have it, so I always verify before booking. The staff also fulfilled my request for a top floor room. I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Always good to take top floor for less noise.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your review. We’re happy to hear you found the convenience of our Inn and amenities enjoyable. Thank you for your suggestions. Please know that we will make every effort to improve the appearance of our accommodations. Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back on your next vacation!

Reviewed August 7, 2013 via mobile

We loved staying here. The suite was very spacious and very clean. There was a large bedroom with a comfortable bed and a large living area with a fully equipped kitchen. The grounds were well maintained and there's plenty to do with the family. The front desk staff (Dallas and Kaitlin) were very pleasant, friendly and helpful. We would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2013

Thank you for your wonderful review. Our staff strives every day to make people feel welcome and at home and we are glad that you had such a great experience. Hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed July 25, 2013

This is a tough review to write because we did have a great time. We were there with a large group and our kids loved it. We stayed in the Country Inn. We checked in with Donna, who was so warm and inviting and lovely with my kids. We had a misunderstanding with the adventure tickets and I thought she meant that they were included in our package. So, I made a point to use them. I was very surprised to get a bill the last day!

The suites are a good size for a family of four with a king, one bedroom and a pull out sofa in the living room. There is a small kitchenette and a bathroom with tub and two sinks, one separate from the rest of the bathroom, which was handy. The downside of the room was the furnishing was a little outdated and we did see bugs. We saw several very large ants, a large spider and some other bug. My kids hate bugs, so this was a problem for us.

The room was clean and the bed was comfortable. There are two TV's. One of our remotes was missing a back and a battery and I called for a replacement, which was brought up right away. The housekeeping was efficient.

The numbering of the rooms is confusing at first. We were in 538, which was on the 3rd floor. I saw a number of people who had just checked in having confusion over the numbering and finding their rooms.

The pool was small for our large group, but kids had a blast since it was so hot. There is also a hot tub inside and out. The work out facility is very small and doesn't offer many options.

We had our meals with our group in JJ's Lodge. The food was decent most of the time. There wasn't much selection, which is tough for picky eaters as well as vegetarians and vegans. We usually have a larger buffet selection, which we didn't have here. Most of the time my picky eater only ate a little bit and then I fed her in our room. My husband and I were able to find enough to eat that was vegetarian. The offerings that were Vietnamese were appreciated, but just not very good. One night we ended up eating in the Tavern after dinner because the meal wasn't good at all. We found another family from our group eating there, too. They hadn't even tried the meal because they hadn't had good luck with the other meals.

The meeting rooms were good for the most part. It was hard for our group to have our large sessions in JJ's Lodge without a stage.

Overall we liked the facility. I don't know if it works for this group and the jury is still out whether we will return next year. As a family, we would go back. The kids liked the mountain adventures, of which we only did the chairlift ride, soaring eagle and bungy trampoline.

And, I wanted to make special mention of the staff overall. We were really impressed how friendly everyone was and how they made us feel welcome.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for taking the time to share your review. Based on your comments, it seems as though you were happy with our establishment and our staff. It is my hope that you return to Jiminy Peak again in the future.

Reviewed July 18, 2013 via mobile

If you can find nicer service at a hotel be sure to let me know! This hotel is nice, beds comfortable, everything worked. Pool is a but small. Bon the other hand, the alpine slide and mountain coaster are less than 100 yards from the hotel pool. Staff was incredibly friendly from start to finish. Not the newest hotel, but I thought very clean and comfortable. Mountain adventure park was great!

• Stayed: July 2013

Thank you for such a wonderful review regarding our resort and our staff!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Hancock
Vacation Village in the Berkshires
Hotel on North
Hotel on North
#1 of 8 in Pittsfield
Black Swan Inn Berkshires, an Ascend Collection Hotel

Been to Country Inn at Jiminy Peak? Share your experiences!