“Rundown, shabby hotel with poor service!”

Howard Johnson Express Inn - Amherst Hadley
Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Hadley
Boston, Massachusetts
“Rundown, shabby hotel with poor service!”
Reviewed February 22, 2008

This place sits in a prime location and could be a nice place. It has been there since before I was in high school and has always held the same standards, a rundown, shabby old hotel that needs a serious upgrade and renovations. The place looks nasty from the outside and it used to have a Howard Johnsons restaurant attached to it, but that is no longer. It is surrounded by brand new hotels in fact one across the street is a Holiday Inn Express and outshines this place. The spot is a haven for local college students from the 5 colleges to frequent and party and do who knows what. Don't let the cheap prices fool you, this place is not even worth that price. The rooms are rundown, the linens are old and the bathrooms are falling apart. Even the hallways and the lobby are beat up. Skip this place and pick one of the 20 other hotels in the area that are a bit more expensive but worth it.

• Stayed April 2004, traveled as a couple
2 Thank lip89

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
NJ
Reviewed October 9, 2007

Stayed 3 days because there were no other options of where to stay on short notice - reserved a room here a month prior to the date of arrival. The carpet was so stained and moldy that I would never think of walking on it barefoot; the furniture was the same way and gave pause to sitting directly on the material coverings. The room was not vacuumed, bathroom was not washed, waste paper containers never emptied in the 3 days there. They only changed the towels and remade beds. This used to be a nice and convenient place but has gone downhill in the past few years. Major rennovations are needed beside proper maintenance. They put a permanent safe in the room and charge you per dium for it whether you use it or not; they charge $20/night for a dog - I would not have my dog step directly on the carpeting as it was worse than any place outdoors that the dog would step. We complained but it did not matter as they know that all rooms locally were filled.

Stayed October 2007
1 Thank auntimarl

Travelers are raving about these Hadley hotels

uk
Reviewed August 17, 2007

Myself and my partner have just come back from a week at this hotel for a family wedding,here is a quick run down of how we found the hotel.
The room was large, 2 double beds, lge tv,fridge,microwave,air con,electronic room safe(charge),2 chairs and a table, overhead shower in bath,lots of room to spread out, very comfortable beds.
The staff were very friendly and keen to help with any questions.

The outdoor pool and sunbathing area was great, if you get a room with a balcony or veranda it is easier to get to the pool as we were up on the fifth floor and it was quite a trek.

This hotel is in a great area on a main road with shopping and restaurants right nearby (walmart etc) try applebees diner,its fantastic!

We had no problems at all with this hotel, the only thing we seemed to find was the housekeeping could be looked at a bit more,having worked at travelodge I expected the sheets of our bed to be changed once during our one week stay but only the top sheet was not the bottom(believe me in that heat u need it changed!) I asked for a sheet at reception and changed it myself,also we noticed our toilet was gettin a bit smelly, so think they could improve a bit in these areas.

This hotel is in a great area, it was my 1st time in America and this made it so comfortable,relaxed and safe.

We will stay again in the future!

• Liked — its location and quality of room
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank tuscan159
Ithaca NY
Reviewed August 12, 2007

This hotel is really in need of renovations - the room we stayed in was really dirty and windows were slimy. We were also given a smoking room, which added to the insult. The breakfast was okay, but the breakfast room has only three tables, so peoples had to stand around while eating - not pleasant. I stayed three weeks before at Holiday Inn Express across the street. What a difference!

• Liked — Close to Amherst College
  • Disliked — Dirty rooms
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
New York, NY
Reviewed August 1, 2007

This hotel has really gone downhill. I just returned from the place and my room upon check-in was filthy. Light bulbs were out, the carpeting was sticky, there was sticky stuff on the a/c, the mattresses were dirty. I checked out a few more rooms--the staff was nice and patient--and all were really filthy. The garbage cans in the bathroom were sticky and dirty, the towels were paper thin and the room smelled. I stayed in a dog friendly room, smoking allowed. Maybe the non-smoking rooms were better. But I would recommend dog lovers leave their dogs home and stay somewhere else. This practically ruined my vacation up in NOrthampton. The continental breakfast was also awful. There is no one cleaning up after everyone, the bagels were old and stale, no muffins by the end of the week, bad coffee, bad o.j. You will be fooled by the nice lobby. This place used to be nice. Don't know what happened. Seedy characters in the smoking rooms as well. Altogether filthy.

• Liked — It takes dogs.
  • Disliked — Absolutely filthy rooms. And I checked about 4 of them before choosing the least filthy one.
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled solo
Austin, Texas
Reviewed January 9, 2007

I stayed here for 4 months while working locally. My company booked me in as I had a dog and cat with me. The staff couldn't be more nice, from the front desk to the coffee lady, from the maintenance man to the housekeepers. Over Christmas, they fed my cat and when my dog passed away, they gave me flowers.

The rooms are large and comfortable - great beds! Housekeeping was thorough and kept everything clean. For a realatively older motel, this one has kept its shape. The hall carpet on my floor was cleaned while I was here, too. The parking lot is well lit and it is convenient to the local mall and shops.

My company got a great rate. I would imagine that with some internet work or maybe a call to the front desk, one could find a bargain too, off season - it was packed this fall with 5 colleges around!
All in all, had a very comfortable stay.

• Liked — Friendly, helpful staff, clean rooms
  • Disliked — Very busy at times.
  • Tips/Secrets — The fifth floor is quieter than the 1st and 3rd.
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled on business
3 Thank Karol B
New York City, New York
Reviewed November 26, 2006

I really enjoyed my stay at the Howard Johnson in Hadley. I was there with my sister visiting friends at UMass and it was so easy and convenient to get to the campus! The rooms were clean and they have a free continental breakfast in the morning, too! The front desk staff was soooo nice and helpful when we were asking directions and figuring out where to eat! They had a nice looking outdoor pool too, but it was closed for the winter when I was there. Overall, I definitely recommend this hotel for anyone visiting the five-college area (Amherst/Hadley/Northampton).

• Liked — clean rooms, friendly staff
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Tips/Secrets — Ask for a room in the back section of the building - they have balconies/patios!
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled with friends
2 Thank megaberri
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hadley
Holiday Inn Express Amherst-Hadley
#1 of 3 in Amherst
Quality Inn & Suites
Quality Inn & Suites
#3 of 5 in Northampton

Been to Howard Johnson Express Inn - Amherst Hadley? Share your experiences!