“Weekend get away” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Hadley
Boston, Massachusetts
“Weekend get away”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2012

My husband & I stayed 3 nights here's . And everything was just great the staff was kind & helpful even when we got lost we called & got directions that was great .nice conterntial breakfast . Clean & very quiet nice too sleep nice view of hotel front parking lot . Room cleaned every morning towels etc soap nice big bed very cozy.. Wake up call big tv coffee machine ice machine / soda everything close people if you stay here you must eat at golden ginger chinese sooooo yummy good price and Arizona pizza & grill best brick house pizza 4 all u pizza lovers good price & a stop & shop & whole foods ..the gym was a little small but they had bikes stepper/ treadmills & a gym pack machine the pool was cool outside great place to stay if your in Hadley 4 some time hope I was helpfull I tryed to cover everything .. Ok folks

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Portland, Oregon
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2012

What is that smell?
Why is the toilet so low to the ground?
Have they been using these same towels since 1981 or what?

--questions I asked myself repeatedly while staying at the Hadley HoJo

TWO DOTS BECAUSE:

(the bathroom was clean and the bed appeared free of vermin)
(gorgeous view of the credit union next door)
(neighbor's barky dog eventually stopped barking)
(the wi-fi worked and i could stream videos of a stupid guy playing guitar all i wanted)

Room Tip: Ask for second floor or above.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank mocakes

Travelers are raving about these Hadley hotels

Buffalo, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2012

Nneeded to find apt so we took the cheap hotel with buffet...I am used to holiday inn express and this place was a flashback to the 70's. Buffet was weak and seriously not worth the advertisement. Room was ok but ..wow...dark and extremely dated. Staff is weak...pool services carloads of city folk and no one cares. No one checked my aaa card for discount and overall go I told my brother to go else where for umass functions...creepy old.

Room Tip: Go across street to holiday inn
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Lucylew512
Richmond, VA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2012

My kids and I arrived late to find a sign on the front desk, "Attendant back if a few moments."
No problem, 10 minutes passed and a young man walked in through the front door smelling of pot.
He had obviously been smoking. He was pretty good at checking us in, but when we checked out 3 days later, the bill was a mess and took 25 minutes to sort out.
The front desk manager in the morning needed to wait for a younger employee to help him with the computer system. We were not told of an additional charge for a cot and more.

The breakfast buffet was not very good but restocked. The rooms are big, but old and out dated.

I would not recommend staying here, unless you need to save money.

Room Tip: No advice here. All are old and somewhat dirty.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Wyndham Hotel Group

Tonia J, Manager at Howard Johnson Express Inn - Amherst Hadley, responded to this review, June 14, 2012
My goodness, we are very surprised to hear of your experience. Would you please be so kind as to contact me so that we can learn more about this situation and quickly get a resolution in place? My name is Tonia and you can reach me at 413-586-0114 ext. 1401.
Thornton, New Hampshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2012

Its seems that this hotel has had a decidedly mixed review. After spending a rainy weekend in the Pioneer Valley, I enthusiastically join the "very good" crowd. And here's why...after reading the reviews I carefully inspected the room and found it to be very clean, with no musty smells, etc. The room, with its unusual high vaulted ceiling, had a very spacious feeling, with beds that were soft but comfortable. The pillows are worth noting, not those rock hard versions found in most hotels in this category, but more like the downy soft pillows you find in most upscale European hotels. The bathroom was very bright, especially when both heating lamp and halogen ceiling lights were on. The only drawback was the timer that switched off the bathroom lights at the most inconvenient times. The "retro" feature of the dual shower heads is a treat. I like hotels that have windows that open and the sliding door to the balcony is a nice feature, giving me the opportunity to freshen up the room. A nice feature was the free New York Times and Boston Globe available in the breakfast room. What a welcome change from the ubiquitous news shows that greet you for your morning coffee. A great value for the price!

Room Tip: The rooms in the "300s" floor seem to feature the vaulted ceilings, an unusual feature of...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Somerville, Massachusetts
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2012

I can't give it a terrible, because I've definitely stayed in worse places, but, this hotel was not good. They also price gouge during graduation, so, you can end up spending $300 for something absolutely disgusting.

Anyway, the place was ridiculously dusty, our slider track to the outside was encased in dirt (they could have easily vacuumed that!), and the carpets were covered in stains. Everything was a bit sticky too - from the remote to the power strips (which looked like someone had spilt coffee all over them).

Don't stay there if you have allergies - the dust and mold (both very much visible) triggered a migraine for me even though I left the door to the outside open until the last possible second before I went to sleep (and I wasn't in the room much except the 6 hours of sleeping).

They have a gym, but, no one in their right mind would probably use it - there is a giant window/door that faces the parking lot/Staples so anyone can just stare you running on the treadmill. There are no curtains for privacy!

Our toilet wouldn't stop running which was pretty annoying, one of our beds was broken and tilted forward, and, my favorite, there were these signs warning you not to take the towels. I don't know who would - you could see right through them and they could barely wrap around my body (and i'm a size 4).

So, I don't know why anyone would ever stay here. I didn't choose it - which is why I ended up here.

Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Boston, MA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2012

I stayed here while traveling through Hadley toward the end of April, 2012. I arrived late, after finding no rooms at another hotel. I didn't even know that Howard Johnson was still in business.

My room felt a bit tired, and my bedbug search (which I do in high-end hotels, too) only showed a couple of raisins down behind the bed, and a fair amount of dust. The bed was comfortable, and the shower had plenty of pressure and hot water (I'm referring to a negative review here). I didn't hear any noise from neighbors.

One of my (growing) gripes is lack of electrical outlets in hotels anywhere near the desk, and dim lighting as bulbs are being swapped over to compact fluorescents. The same was true here--to plug my computer in, I had to crouch in front of the low cabinet which held the TV, and the room was a little dim.

However, you make decisions about where you stay--for this trip, I was traveling without my wife and wanted to keep my lodgings as cheap as possible. For a night's "crash," this HoJo's was fine. However, if they want to survive as a business, they're going to want to think about buffing up the rooms.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hadley
Holiday Inn Express Amherst-Hadley
Hotel UMass
#1 of 3 in Amherst
Courtyard Hadley Amherst
Hampton Inn Hadley-Amherst

Been to Howard Johnson Express Inn - Amherst Hadley? Share your experiences!