“If you want to sleep book on the THIRD FLOOR only” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Courtyard Hadley Amherst

Courtyard Hadley Amherst
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Hadley
New York City, New York
“If you want to sleep book on the THIRD FLOOR only”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2010

This is an otherwise nice hotel with a competent staff - but the building's structural flaws create so much noise particularly when your neighbors above do ANY walking, that I would only stay here again in an emergency.
The stomping around in the room above me started at about 11:45 PM -- went on till about 1 am and started up again at 7:15. I called the front desk to ask if she could possibly ask my upstairs "neighbors" to "keep it down." The employee was very nice - very apologetic and said she would surely call them.
I have no idea whether she did or not, as their galloping around continued at full blast. When I realized that trying to fall back to sleep would be futile, I called back and asked to be moved.
I could tell by her quick answer that these employees have likely encountered this request numerous times. My new room on the third floor was indeed better - but the hotel itself is all-around noisy. The walls are thin, you hear doors closing AND opening -- and lots of people talking even when they are outdoors in the parking lot and you are inside.
As previous posters explained some of this appears to be due to a manner of construction that uses flexible framing. I don't know enough about construction to add anything specific here, but based on what I encountered it sounds right. The ceiling did appear to vibrate or shake a bit -- and the apparent hollowness between the ceiling and floor above appears to contribute to the decibel level with every footstep.
It's really a shame cause the place is pretty, and well run.
Check in was smooth. The hotel is sparkling clean. As with most Marriotts, it's Pepsi products only, so it's all second-rate sodas and snacks in the little shop. King room was one of those disconcerting Courtyard Kings with the bed facing the window instead of the TV (when on earth is Courtyard going to get rid of this nonsensical design?). The double room on the third floor was great. The mattress and bed linens were ok, but the towels here are bad news -- non absorbent and flimsy.
Next time I will try the Hampton Inn.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Sleep Quality
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank RobertaAnthony

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Copenhagen, Denmark
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2009

We stayed 1 night at this 2 year old hotel. It is great. Huge rooms with view on 2.floor.
Great lobby with free coffe and computers, free parking, nice fitness and pool and most of all - fantastic helpull staff.
Great choice for a hotel - close to Amherst with the good beer, nice little town and museums.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Amherst, MA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2009

We had a HUGE corner room that was immaculately clean and ridiculously comfortable. The King-sized bed was humongous and cozy and I wish I could buy their sheets for my room at home. It's near the mall, movie theaters, a grocery store, a pharmacy, and several restaurants (as I write this review it's August 2009): Chili's, Applebee's, Pizza Hut, McDonald's, Wendy's, Burger King, KFC, Subway (inside Wal-Mart), Arizona Pizza Company, Buffalo Wild Wings, The Hangar (which has THE MOST incredible wings - boneless and bone in- EVER, near a gas station, I don't know what else you need. Close to UMASS, if you're headed there and not too far from downtown Amherst and Northampton where there is shopping and quite a few restaurants. Stay here, even if it's just to stay in a hotel.

• Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
NH
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2009

My husband and I stayed in a king room with a sofa bed for an overnight getaway. When we entered the room, we were a little sorry we couldn't stay for a few days! The room was large, clean, and tastefully decorated. The bed was amazingly comfortable with plenty of pillows. We stayed on the top floor with a view to the back (nicer than the street view). It was fairly quiet, with the exception of noisy guests that were either coming or going late in the evening and the child crying next door through part of the night. Those things weren't the hotel's fault.

The bathroom was very nice. I like that the toilet is partitioned from the sink. The shower was nicely lit and had good water pressure.

The room had a large desk, free Wi-Fi, an ironing board & iron, coffee maker, and hair dryer. The exercise room was nice and my husband enjoyed using it.

We knew there would be a charge for breakfast at the hotel, but we had a fridge in our room. We went down the road to Whole Foods (a treat for us, since we live nowhere near one!) and bought some healthy things for the next morning. We also enjoyed browsing a bit at Barnes & Noble -- not a big deal for most people but we live nowhere near one.

The manager, Sean, was very friendly and helpful. While this isn't the most romantic of places, it suited us for our quick getaway and we enjoyed the clean comfort of our beautiful room.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Fairhaven, MA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2009

Pricelined my way into this hotel many times. Really great value. Hotel ain't much from the outside, but it's tasteful inside and there's ample parking. Very conveniently located (short drive) for Amherst and Umass colleges. Rooms are big and modern. Beds comfy. Fridge in room nice touch. Get a top floor room as noise bleeds from above otherwise (read a review that claimed this which was confirmed at the reception desk.) There's a terrific diner across the street and the staff help out quite a bit: friendly and knowledgable. Didn't use pool/jacuze or fitness center, but they all looked fine. If you can get a good rate, this is an exceptional value.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
orlando, florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2009

Brand new. Excellent hotel. Great rooms and staff. It was not clear that breakfast was an extra charge. If you are looking for a new hotel and marriott level quality, this is it. You will pay extra for the breakfast however.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2009

Definitely the best hotel in any direction for miles and miles. In one sense it's really the only hotel around worth staying at, but to add to that it's very nice indeed. It also has a bar area which isn't standard for a Courtyard. I asked for my standard quiet room which I got but the room arrangement seemed a bit odd to me. I actually asked the manager about whether this is a standard layout and apparently thousands of business travelers have come up with it being what they like. I would not be one of those. So they changed me out to another room which was like a corner king and I've really enjoyed the extra space. The staff went out of their way to make sure I was taken care of down to the point of getting me low-fat cheese to put on top of my egg-white omelets. I've stayed about a month here so even am on a first name basis with most of the staff. They make sure to ask me if the hottub is a good temp which I use every day. One of the staff even got me a cup of ice water when I was getting too hot! What amazing service is that! Swimming pool is smaller so no long laps but great for kids and the pool and hottub are both indoors which is nice since it's still been so cold.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hadley
Hampton Inn Hadley-Amherst
Comfort Inn
#4 of 7 in Hadley
Fairfield Inn & Suites Springfield Northampton/Amherst
Howard Johnson Express Inn - Amherst Hadley

Been to Courtyard Hadley Amherst? Share your experiences!