“Great Base for College Viewing”

Courtyard Hadley Amherst
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Hadley
Reviewed July 5, 2013

The Courtyard is a new, sparkling clean, attractive property just off route 9 and minutes from both UMASS and Amherst, and a short drive fromt the region's other schools. I had mistakenly booked a king room instead of two queens, which the pleasant and effective staff fixed in seconds. The room was huge, clean and well appointed. The beds were perfect as were the linens. The bathroom was also quite large and clean, and offered Paul Mitchell products. The small clean pool and hot tub were much appreciated. Nearby is a bike trail which can take you through Amherst. Yes, breakfast is not included, but it looked good and seemed a reasonable value. There is a great diner nearly across the street which offers breakfast all day, so it' not like you've missed much. Also, the property has a bar downstairs (unusual in a budget hotel), and beer "to go", along with water and snacks, from the area abutting reception. That is a welcome convenience. It is a few dollars more than other chains in the area, but I have a hard time believing they could match it for quality or convenience.

Room Tip: Stay on the third floor. It's reasonably quiet elsewhere, but like all new hotels, insulation is...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed June 30, 2013 via mobile

This is a great hotel for those traveling to UMass as the hotel is only about 3 minutes from campus. My husband, two children and I stayed here for a lacrosse tournament and the hotel was very busy. They were accommodating and the rooms were wonderfully clean.
We stayed in a king room with pull out couch because other types of rooms were not available. We requested a roll away bed and were comfortable in the room for 2 nights.
The only downsides to this hotel were the pool, which was indoors and incredibly small, and the lack of included breakfast. This hotel was about 70 dollars more per night than others that were close so I would have expected it to be included. We could pay for cereal and fruit for 7.95 per person but opted to go to Dunkin Donuts instead.
We did hear from friends that the cheaper hotels closer were musty and dirty so we were glad we stayed... Even if it did cost us an extra 140 dollars....

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed April 20, 2013 via mobile

Wished I stayed longer! Centrally located on Route 9 near the mall this place is a great addition to the area only 6 years new. Efficient FD staff, good sized room, fresh & clean everywhere, nice laundry room, pool, huge lobby. Best part was the fun bartender (also a masseuse) who demonstrated her genuine hospitality and local knowledge. Will always stay here when visiting Western Mass.

• Stayed: April 2013
Sean W, General Manager at Courtyard Hadley Amherst, responded to this reviewResponded April 22, 2013

Thank you for the wonderful comments! Especially recoginzing the special person at the bar.
I'm always amazed at how many people tell me they appreciate her bubbly personality.

I hope you'll stay with us again, and I will be sure to pass on your thoughts to the team.

Reviewed April 17, 2013

Stayed here with two friends while attending an event in Hadley. At the time of booking, the only available room was one with a King bed and pullout sofa bed. The sofa bed was of very poor quality and was prepared with a small non-fitting mattress pad and clean sheets. I could feel and hear mattress springs with every move made throughout the night. This hotel needs to upgrade their sofabeds and linens in order to accomodate a guest party of three adults in a room. The bath towels were clean but very thin and cheap. All three of us were woken several times throughout the night with noise from people in the corridor and getting on and off the elevator close to our room. Unlike many Courtyard Marriotts, this hotel does not offer free coffee in the morning in the lobby area. On the plus side, the staff members were cordial, and the hotel is a non-smoking one with clean rooms. Unfortunately, there is not a large choice of hotels in this area. I would not recommend a stay of more than a night or two, and would rate the hotel as very average.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms near the elevators, extremely noisy.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Marianne D

Thank you for taking the time to tell us where we can iimprove. Our Towels and Linens are in the process of being replaced, Marriott has a new version available soon. I'll work with the maintenance team on the npoisy sofa bed. The coffee is offerred free 24 hrs a day, so My apologeese if the team neglected to point out it's lobby location next to the business center.

Please let me know if you come back to the area as I would love an opportunity to exceed your expectations.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

We are never sure why some Marriott hotels include breakfast (Fairfield Inn) and some don't (Courtyard), but overall we were happy with this hotel. The mattresses, bathrooms, everything, super clean and comfortable. Staff welcoming, responsive, friendly. They had great suggestions for local eateries and gave us directions when we needed them. They also supplied extra towels and toilet paper in our room within minutes of us asking. Great place centrally located to the colleges and small town centers in the Amherst area. Highly recommend.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 8, 2013

I have not stayed in a hotel with a more professional, cordial, go-out-of-their-way-to-help-you staff. The staff at check-in went out of their way to be helpful and I thought it just could not get any better. However, the staff the next morning was just as good (General Manager, my stay was 3/28 so you can identify the staff on duty). This was even more extraordinary since the hotel was sold out due to an admitted student orientation at UMass on Friday.
This is a tip for anyone ordering food delivery. Don't. Drive to the restaurant and pick it up yourself. Many of the nearby restaurants use the services of a delivery service. We ordered dinner and it arrived without eating utensils. I had a hard time believing a delivery service would not anticipate the need for eating utensils if the delivery was to a hotel.I was told it was not included because I DID not ask for it. So why don't you have your order taker to ask? After all, she asked me if I wanted to add the tip right then and there. The manager said eating utensils are not included because, 'we would have to buy it.'
So, I had to change out of my pajamas and go hunting in the hotel for silverware. Lucky for me, the hotel staff was much more accommodating than the delivery service.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 7, 2013

After 5 nights in a Manhattan hotel, we really enjoyed the spaciousness of the rooms at the Marriott! The rooms are well designed, clean and comfortable. The staff was friendly and helpful and there was a nice looking pool and exercise center although we didn't have time to use either. Just a few minutes away from downtown Amherst by car. While we were staying there was a lacrosse team at the hotel and they were a bit raucous. I'm not sure if that is a regular occurrence, but you might want to check when you book and ask to be put in a room away from the team!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hadley
Hampton Inn Hadley-Amherst
#4 of 7 in Hadley
Quality Inn & Suites
Quality Inn & Suites
#3 of 5 in Northampton

Been to Courtyard Hadley Amherst? Share your experiences!