“Loved this hotel but breakfast not included”

Courtyard Hadley Amherst
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Hadley
Manalapan, NJ
“Loved this hotel but breakfast not included”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

We are never sure why some Marriott hotels include breakfast (Fairfield Inn) and some don't (Courtyard), but overall we were happy with this hotel. The mattresses, bathrooms, everything, super clean and comfortable. Staff welcoming, responsive, friendly. They had great suggestions for local eateries and gave us directions when we needed them. They also supplied extra towels and toilet paper in our room within minutes of us asking. Great place centrally located to the colleges and small town centers in the Amherst area. Highly recommend.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Washington, DC
Reviewed April 8, 2013

I have not stayed in a hotel with a more professional, cordial, go-out-of-their-way-to-help-you staff. The staff at check-in went out of their way to be helpful and I thought it just could not get any better. However, the staff the next morning was just as good (General Manager, my stay was 3/28 so you can identify the staff on duty). This was even more extraordinary since the hotel was sold out due to an admitted student orientation at UMass on Friday.
This is a tip for anyone ordering food delivery. Don't. Drive to the restaurant and pick it up yourself. Many of the nearby restaurants use the services of a delivery service. We ordered dinner and it arrived without eating utensils. I had a hard time believing a delivery service would not anticipate the need for eating utensils if the delivery was to a hotel.I was told it was not included because I DID not ask for it. So why don't you have your order taker to ask? After all, she asked me if I wanted to add the tip right then and there. The manager said eating utensils are not included because, 'we would have to buy it.'
So, I had to change out of my pajamas and go hunting in the hotel for silverware. Lucky for me, the hotel staff was much more accommodating than the delivery service.

Palo Alto, California
Reviewed April 7, 2013

After 5 nights in a Manhattan hotel, we really enjoyed the spaciousness of the rooms at the Marriott! The rooms are well designed, clean and comfortable. The staff was friendly and helpful and there was a nice looking pool and exercise center although we didn't have time to use either. Just a few minutes away from downtown Amherst by car. While we were staying there was a lacrosse team at the hotel and they were a bit raucous. I'm not sure if that is a regular occurrence, but you might want to check when you book and ask to be put in a room away from the team!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed March 29, 2013

While I appreciate the finer amenities of a good hotel - poofy comforters, blackout drapes, tasteful art, yummy room service - the bottom line for me is decent internet. I'd rather sleep on the floor and have a solid signal, than sleep in a 4 poster bed with 20 color-coordinated pillows and a hand-carved headboard -- and be without internet. I need high speed internet for my semi-serious hobby of raiding in massive multiplayer online games; my husband needs the same, and my son needs it for maintaining his winning streak in online strategy games.

At this hotel, internet was great (<50 ms lag) until folks started logging on in the evening. The hotel's bandwidth cap was reached about 8 pm, at which point, everyone and everything crashed, and stayed that way.. My (virtual) teammates were killed as me, their healer, disconnected repeatedly and had enormous lag spikes.. My husband was thrown out of his game. My son, who had paid an entry fee to an online competition and was winning, had to leave the competition. None of us could recover. Once the bandwidth cap is reached, Bluestreak (the hotel's internet provider) doesn't allow further people to log on (which in general is a service to those already online, but still is infuriating to those who can't get online or who were kicked off).. We knew the risks of trying to actually use hotel internet - it's often just terrible - but were hoping against hope that this particular hotel had managed to outpace the usual dreadful internet delivery problems hotels have.

My ongoing small service to the online community is to write reviews about hotel internet and try to suggest to hotels that they increase their bandwidth and get a decent signal - nothing elaborate, just something approaching what you'd get in terms of reliability and speed if you were at home using DSL or cable. So, in this case I did talk to the hotel front desk, and they said they'd gotten permission to upgrade the internet (yay!), but how soon and how much were rather nebulous. By the way, their router placement was fine (many bars); it was just the overall bandwidth that was the major issue (continually disconnecting, or no ability to log on at all)..

Here's hoping the hotel management fixes this problem, because otherwise, this was a very nice hotel. Beautiful 2 room suites, capable staff, insanely good location if you're touring the Amherst-area colleges (as we were).

1 Thank Pretre_Z
Sean W, General Manager at Courtyard Hadley Amherst, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Thank you so much for your comments. We are on the last leg of our Internet improvement strategy. We have installed fiber optic, 30mg up 30 mg down pipeline. The hardware needed to carry such a large bandwidth is slated for install during the month of April. We are very aware of the importance of uninterrupted Wifi through out the hotel,. I'm happy to report that thru feedback from our guests such as yourself, we will have the best network in the region in a matter of weeks.
Tiverton, Rhode Island
Reviewed March 18, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel a few times and I am never disappointed. The hotel is clean and well maintained. The rooms are large and well appointed. You don't feel cramped. The front desk staff were all very friendly and helpful. Mat was excellent. We had breakfast at the hotel, it is not included with the room but the price was reasonable and the quality of the food was good. We will be back next year.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Wilton, CT
Reviewed March 15, 2013

We were in Amherst touring the University and this hotel was perfect and looks like a new hotel. It's clean and very convenient to just about everything. The breakfast was wonderful and the staff couldn't be more helpful. We're hoping to return!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Yarmouthport
Reviewed March 9, 2013

First stay, as we attended Open House at Umass for accepted students Fall 2013. Room was spacious and very clean. (I am super Picky!!!). Average furnishings. Bathroom nicely done and shower spray was even sufficient, instead of a trickle.
Had a lovely glass of wine in front of fireplace in lobby. Staff was super helpful, from great recommendation for dinner to excellent service in the lounge.
Asked for 3rd floor room, very quiet, with view of Holyoke Range. Noticed you are able to open windows, they look like regular house windows and have screens, so you could enjoy fresh air instead of "canned hotel" air if you wished. Will be back over the next 4 years :)

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Sean W, General Manager at Courtyard Hadley Amherst, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to let us know how we are doing. Wonderful area to attend college, I'm an Aulmni Class of "93"
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hadley
Holiday Inn Express Amherst-Hadley
Comfort Inn
#4 of 7 in Hadley
Fairfield Inn & Suites Springfield Northampton/Amherst
Howard Johnson Express Inn - Amherst Hadley

Been to Courtyard Hadley Amherst? Share your experiences!