“No Internet During Peak Hours”

Courtyard Hadley Amherst
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Hadley
Reviewed March 29, 2013

While I appreciate the finer amenities of a good hotel - poofy comforters, blackout drapes, tasteful art, yummy room service - the bottom line for me is decent internet. I'd rather sleep on the floor and have a solid signal, than sleep in a 4 poster bed with 20 color-coordinated pillows and a hand-carved headboard -- and be without internet. I need high speed internet for my semi-serious hobby of raiding in massive multiplayer online games; my husband needs the same, and my son needs it for maintaining his winning streak in online strategy games.

At this hotel, internet was great (<50 ms lag) until folks started logging on in the evening. The hotel's bandwidth cap was reached about 8 pm, at which point, everyone and everything crashed, and stayed that way.. My (virtual) teammates were killed as me, their healer, disconnected repeatedly and had enormous lag spikes.. My husband was thrown out of his game. My son, who had paid an entry fee to an online competition and was winning, had to leave the competition. None of us could recover. Once the bandwidth cap is reached, Bluestreak (the hotel's internet provider) doesn't allow further people to log on (which in general is a service to those already online, but still is infuriating to those who can't get online or who were kicked off).. We knew the risks of trying to actually use hotel internet - it's often just terrible - but were hoping against hope that this particular hotel had managed to outpace the usual dreadful internet delivery problems hotels have.

My ongoing small service to the online community is to write reviews about hotel internet and try to suggest to hotels that they increase their bandwidth and get a decent signal - nothing elaborate, just something approaching what you'd get in terms of reliability and speed if you were at home using DSL or cable. So, in this case I did talk to the hotel front desk, and they said they'd gotten permission to upgrade the internet (yay!), but how soon and how much were rather nebulous. By the way, their router placement was fine (many bars); it was just the overall bandwidth that was the major issue (continually disconnecting, or no ability to log on at all)..

Here's hoping the hotel management fixes this problem, because otherwise, this was a very nice hotel. Beautiful 2 room suites, capable staff, insanely good location if you're touring the Amherst-area colleges (as we were).

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Pretre_Z
Sean W, General Manager at Courtyard Hadley Amherst, responded to this reviewResponded April 1, 2013

Thank you so much for your comments. We are on the last leg of our Internet improvement strategy. We have installed fiber optic, 30mg up 30 mg down pipeline. The hardware needed to carry such a large bandwidth is slated for install during the month of April. We are very aware of the importance of uninterrupted Wifi through out the hotel,. I'm happy to report that thru feedback from our guests such as yourself, we will have the best network in the region in a matter of weeks.

Reviewed March 18, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel a few times and I am never disappointed. The hotel is clean and well maintained. The rooms are large and well appointed. You don't feel cramped. The front desk staff were all very friendly and helpful. Mat was excellent. We had breakfast at the hotel, it is not included with the room but the price was reasonable and the quality of the food was good. We will be back next year.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 15, 2013

We were in Amherst touring the University and this hotel was perfect and looks like a new hotel. It's clean and very convenient to just about everything. The breakfast was wonderful and the staff couldn't be more helpful. We're hoping to return!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed March 9, 2013

First stay, as we attended Open House at Umass for accepted students Fall 2013. Room was spacious and very clean. (I am super Picky!!!). Average furnishings. Bathroom nicely done and shower spray was even sufficient, instead of a trickle.
Had a lovely glass of wine in front of fireplace in lobby. Staff was super helpful, from great recommendation for dinner to excellent service in the lounge.
Asked for 3rd floor room, very quiet, with view of Holyoke Range. Noticed you are able to open windows, they look like regular house windows and have screens, so you could enjoy fresh air instead of "canned hotel" air if you wished. Will be back over the next 4 years :)

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Sean W, General Manager at Courtyard Hadley Amherst, responded to this reviewResponded March 12, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to let us know how we are doing. Wonderful area to attend college, I'm an Aulmni Class of "93"

Reviewed December 23, 2012

Very happy with our stay. We arrived at noon 3 hrs before check-in. Front desk and housekeeping staff had our room ready in only 1 hour for early check-in. Room was clean and spacious. Pool area nice, area around the fireplace was comfortable for visiting for our family reunion.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank laugh50
Reviewed December 13, 2012

I've stayed here again since my first stay and wanted to give a positive update. When I checked in, I asked for a top floor room since I'd experienced noise problems the first time. The hotel was almost full, but she found me a room (wish I'd gotten her name!) on the third floor. It was next to the ice machine which initially worried me. But I never heard noise from another guest. So this stay was great and I know now to request the top floor. The person who checked in really went out of her way to make sure I got what I needed including finding a restaurant and helping with my Rewards points. The bartender was excellent, also. I'd highly recommend this place now - as long as you stay on the top floor.

Room Tip: Rooms on the top floor are quieter
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank catherp
Sean W, General Manager at Courtyard Hadley Amherst, responded to this reviewResponded December 20, 2012

Thank you so much for giving us another chance. The Team and I are thrilled that you enjoyed it. Hope to see you again soon,

Reviewed October 21, 2012

What a pleasant surprise! Everyone from the front desk, to the bartender Charlene, the breakfast staff and even the housekeeping were so friendly. It is rare to find great hospitality these days, but it is still present at the Courtyard in Hadley. The kids swam in the pool and then we had lunch (we had picked up elsewhere) out in the courtyard. The rooms were spacious and the beds comfortable. They even have board games and cards in the lobby, to take back to your room or sit and play in the lobby by the fireplace. Our weekend stay felt like a mini-vacation.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hadley
Hampton Inn Hadley-Amherst
#5 of 7 in Hadley
Hotel Northampton
Hotel Northampton
#2 of 5 in Northampton

Been to Courtyard Hadley Amherst? Share your experiences!