“Very Interesting Japanese Food”
Review of Shiki Asian Fusion - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Shiki Asian Fusion
Cuisines: Japanese
Reviewed June 17, 2014

The Japanese menu is very interesting, indeed, this is "fusion" of asian-cuisine! We were hungry
after bicycling through the near-by long trail towards North Hampton and back! The food is very tasty, the soups, and the main course we had were cooked very well, delicious! The even served Pad Thai, we shared, as the portions were ample. We had hot green tea and iced water.
We will taste their extensive sushi choices on the next trip, as we plan to stop-by again, soon. The decor is Zen style, simple and elegant.
Our only negative of this new restaurant, is the bar is too close to the tables, and the noise from some patrons drinking at the bar, it seems a bit louder than we'd like! It is almost perfect for a date and nice lunches. It is a very convenient location, close to the main road and highway!

Reviewed May 4, 2014

This restaurant is located on route 9 in Hadley Massachusetts, with plenty of free parking. We visited on a Sunday night. We were offered a regular menu, but also offered an all-you-can-eat menu. In spite of the temptation to eat too much, we opted for the all-you-can-eat option. In doing so we were told that the portions would not match the main menu portions, but they would keep coming if we continued to order. So, to be able to try several of the various selections, we opted for the all-you-can-eat option.

We started with a avocado salad, which had thin-sliced avocados, iceberg lettuce and a very nice Asian dressing with sesame seeds. We shared that. We also asked for a California roll and it came with six pieces. It was much like you would find at any reasonable restaurant. We tried broccoli with chicken. This was quite good and later in the meal with asked for another of these and it was just as good. This was probably the best course of the evening. We also tried vegetable fried rice and found it to be nicely seasoned and quite tasty. I judged that to be second best. We also tried salmon teriyaki. That came with two very small pieces of salmon and was not very satisfying. Next we tried chicken with the same sauce. It is clear that the salmon and the chicken are made with the same sauce and we did not find the sauce to be particularly good. We tried vegetable tempura and found it to be reasonable. But the batter-coating we found to be a bit heavier than on the best tempura that one can find. The vegetables were nicely cooked. We also had a shitake mushroom dish, which was reasonable.

The staff are exceptionally polite, helpful and pleasant. When the check arrived, I noted that it did not include the two bottles of beer that we had. There was a apology and the beer was then added to the tab. All in all, this was a very pleasant place to have a reasonable meal, but there was nothing particularly special about it.

1  Thank BobHLeverett
Reviewed April 7, 2014

Sat at the bar here one night and had some of the best drinks made by the new bar manager, Derek. I had a few different types of sushi and they were all fresh and delicious. The decor is beautiful. I will definitely be back!

Reviewed December 31, 2013

I was very happy with the service and the food here. It looks much better than it did when it was Butterfly. The whole place is more open and inviting, clean and professional looking. The people who work there are also very nice. The wait times are a little long. The prices are kind of high, I paid 6 dollars for what I thought was one spring roll, but it ended up being two that were cut in half. I was confused because I had only ordered one, but maybe that's just how they come. So I asked the guy who gave me my order to go, and he said there is an option for one or two. I was perfectly fine with two, I love spring rolls, but I wish they had given me the option, plus that price is outrageous for spring rolls...usually they're a dollar or 1.50! The wonton soup was very good, but it was basically only wontons and broth, none of those green veggie rings and pork chunks which I love.

Reviewed December 26, 2013

I hate to dump on a new restaurant but...
Recently opened. Very friendly staff. Fixed up the place (renovated the Butterfly, which thankfully closed). Going into the restaurant I wanted to like it.
Their menu is either "a la carte" with a more extensive menu, or for a fixed price (currently about $19 for dinner) one can get all the food you can eat (nothing to go). That option allowed me to have a variety of appetizers, soup, sushi, rolls, etc. The menu to choose from is slightly restricted, and lacks many pork dishes... mainly chicken, beef and vegetarian main courses. The dishes are perhaps 2/3 size typically served in a restaurant, but since one can keep ordering, it doesn't matter much. Food arrived fairly promptly and the wait staff came to ask if one wanted more... service was very good.
Food quality was average... too many dishes had too much sweetness. I like more savory dishes.
As we were leaving, we were thinking that we'd go back if looking for a restaurant for a quick meal in the area, but nothing special... then 3 hours later I developed nausea and vomiting for 2 hours. I think the mussel appetizer was under cooked and made me sick. Now I'm unlikely to return. If it were not for that, I'd give it 3 stars
They do not (yet?) have a liquor license.