“Very tasty and delicious barbque”
Review of Wildwood Barbeque

Wildwood Barbeque
Ranked #5 of 60 Restaurants in Hadley
Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch
Description: Tucked beside the Comfort Inn on Rte. 9 In Hadley, this quick and casual barbeque restaurant is making some of the freshest, most original food in town. Classic barbeque plus lighter fare with cornbread and desserts baked daily on premises. Children's menu, outdoor picnic area, wine and 16 craft beers on tap. Event catering and Sunday brunch buffet from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Open Tuesday-Thursday, 11:30 to 8:30 (Friday & Saturday until 9:00, Sunday from 10:00 a.m. until 8:00 p.m.). PVTA bus B43 stops right out front.
Reviewed September 3, 2013

It was really nice to return a 2nd time in 2 weeks to this new barbque restaurant in Hadley. The first time I had a very tasty brisket sandwich. Part of the brisket had the right balance of meat to fat. The other pieces were on the dry side....tasty and well seasoned but dry. I wanted to check out a bunch of the other items on the menu including the macaroni and cheese (excellent), the collard greens very good with the right combo of smokiness, vinegar, spices and meat flavorings, dirty rice was delicious and had a twist that was interesting......The ribs were excellent. If you like dry rubs and ribs that are tasty, tender and not greasy....the ribs are a good way to go. The smoked chicken was tender and smoky. Very good selection of crafted /local beers and wines.(nice range) very reasonable prices on the beverages. The staff is very friendly and helpful. The head kitchen person came out, spoke with us and talked with us about the process for reviewing how they are working on the brisket and trying to have it be more consistent. I found the openess and being receptive to feedback and general sincere interest in customer care a big plus............This is a warm and welcoming place where people value customers. I will continue and look forward to returning here and to support a very good restaurant that is local.

Thank you.

N. Broome

Hadley MA

2  Thank pgo120

Reviewed August 20, 2013

Having spent 10 years in Durham, N.C. I have experienced quite a few BBQ joints.
Yes, this is not Bullock's (Durham) or Allen & Sons (Chapel Hill) or even Clyde Cooper's (Raleigh). They do serve very good pulled pork sandwich; nicely smoked, with apple and hickory logs in their state-of-the-art smoker. It was very tasty, juicy and not overpowered with sauce. They let you add additional sauce. Personally, i liked the yelliw mustard/vinegar sauce, for it was spicy, vinegary and reminded me of N.C., although there it was red.
I had the coleslaw on the pulled pork sandwich; not overly sweet or overpowering. The roll was sizeable and as soft as it should have been. Portions were very nice sized. The sweetened ice tea (unlimited refills when dining in) was right out of the South. My meal cost me just over $10.00 and I will return, many times.
The place is immaculate; the kitchen is in view, tables and floor were very clean and the feeling was good.
They do not serve hush puppies or fries since they do not want the placed greased up with a fryolator. They may even cook up some Brunswick stew, someday.
I spoke with Glen, the owner. He is a very pleasant man who is dedicated to making the customer happy with good smoked meats and most of the fixin's!
This is a very good BBQ joint!

3  Thank Peter A
WWBBQ, Owner at Wildwood Barbeque, responded to this reviewResponded August 21, 2013

Nice meeting you, Peter A. Thanks for stopping by and for taking the time to write a review. We look forward to you returning, many times.

Reviewed August 19, 2013

Your meal quality will vary greatly depending on what you get here.
I shared a combo #2 plate with my boyfriend and got a regular order of mac and cheese along with it- the $25 price tag may seem high, but this can easily feed two, and we have pretty good appetites.

Service was friendly. I was missing a few items from my order when it came up, but they quickly fixed the issue.

The Good:
Ribs had a nice crust, lots of flavor, moist inside.
Pulled pork was also very good and tossed with a tasty sauce. It was all very tender in texture- fans of the crispy edges may be disappointed.
The cornbread was the best I've had in a long time- nice coarse cornmeal and crunchy edges. It's sweet, but not cloying.
Macaroni and cheese was delicious- very rich and creamy, with little chewy baked bits here and there.
Greens were also very good- simmered with tomatoes, had a bit of a kick.

The Not-so-good:
The brisket was very disappointing- it was grey and dry- looked like sad roast beef. I could taste some smoke, but no salt, spice, or fat.
Coleslaw was totally bland- it needed salt, acid, and sugar.

I will definitely be back- I thoroughly enjoyed most of the food I tried, but the different in quality between the good and the bad was stark.

1  Thank Jessica F
WWBBQ, Owner at Wildwood Barbeque, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2013

Thanks for the feedback, Jessica F. As another reviewer mentioned, we had some brisket issues our first month. Brisket is best when sliced to order. Because of space and safety constraints, we were unable to do this and the brisket was sometimes dry. So sorry that was your experience! Starting this week, we've reworked our recipe, bought new equipment, and changed our cooking and serving process. This should result in much better brisket. Glad you enjoyed other parts of your meal! We look forward to seeing you again and hope you'll consider revising your review based on continued positive experiences.

Reviewed August 14, 2013 via mobile

I had brisket; it was dry, even with the excellent mustard sauce. Pickles were good, crisp. Where was the flavor in the brisket. Tasted like cardboard. I'll go again to see if was just leftovers from the weekend.... Wanting more. Great menu. Want to explore other things there before I write it off.

WWBBQ, Owner at Wildwood Barbeque, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2013

Hello and thanks for stopping by. Sorry you had a mixed experienced, but we appreciate your taking the time to share your honest feedback as it helps a new restaurant improve. In our first three weeks, the brisket has occasionally been dry. We try not to serve it if it isn't perfect, and we sincerely apologize for dropping the ball today. We hope you'll give us another try, and if you're not happy with your meal, please let us know -- we'll gladly replace it with something that's more to your liking!

Reviewed August 5, 2013

I must admit, I was a bit sad to see Sully's go. Not because I ever went there, but I loved seeing the "Home of Polish music" sign on the highway as I passed by. Well, now that I've eaten at Wildwood BBQ I can tell you it was worth the loss. The counter service was very friendly, the food came quickly, the beer was hoppy and cold and the dining area was clean and comfortable with good tunes playing (but not too loud). Yes, you do have to get up to get your food when it's ready, and snag your own sauces from the sauce counter area, but given the calories you will be taking in here, it's probably a good thing. I had the pulled pork sandwich on a bun with coleslaw and classic BBQ sauce on top and I was very, very pleased. My daughter - who is picky - dug the chicken tenders and apple pie. Since I live far away, and i wanted a fuller experience (so to speak), I took home some ribs with potato salad and roasted root veggies (and brisket and maybe something else that I'm forgetting). It was all excellent (the potato salad was a bit al dente, but I like it like that). Recommended.

3  Thank RamblinDan