“Fabulous in Every Way - Worth the Drive From Northampton or Amherst!”
Review of Alina's

Alina's
Ranked #2 of 60 Restaurants in Hadley
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed December 6, 2010

Four of us ate here Friday night. I have to say it was the finest dining experience I have had, which is saying a lot since I've lived in the Northampton area for 50 years, and dine out often. Everything was impeccable - food, service, ambience. Even the linen was perfect. We enjoyed the fried calamari with a delicious spicy horseradish cream sauce; the calamari was perfectly fresh and crisp. The brasato al barolo was falling-off-the-bone tender and the taste was fabulous. Main courses were Chicken piccata (the best, moist chicken I've ever tasted), cannelloni, a seafood special with fettucine, mussels, clams, etc., and a winter risotto featuring winter squash and candied walnuts. I do believe the pasta for the cannelloni was hand-made; unbelievably thin and perfectly cooked, making a sometimes heavy dish a light delight. Do not miss that winter risotto - heavenly! And the seafood pasta special was excellent. The wine list is quite good and the wines were served expertly at the perfect temperature. Prices are very reasonable. You simply cannot get a meal like this anywhere else in the area, including restaurant-rich Northampton. The chef is very engaging, and gave us a complimentary cup of delicious chowder before the meal. The bar is also very comfortable with an expert bartender. The hostess does everything right, and the service is professional. Don't miss this experience!

1  Thank tatwood
There are newer reviews for Alina's

Reviewed November 11, 2010

Have been to Alina's twice; the two experiences could not have been more different.
First time was in March (their second month in business). The wife of the chef (and co-owner) was hostess; she was both personable and enthusiastic. Food was interesting and service was friendly - if slightly slow for a not very busy night. We felt it was good value and were happy to be part of a "just-off-the-ground" family venture.
Second visit was in June and although decor and staff were the same, the ambience and execution were sadly deteriorated. It was early (6:30 pm on a weekday night) and the place was basically empty. We brought guests and had come for the "chef's tasting" menu which promised off-the-menu specials and new ideas from the kitchen.
What happened here? Lackluster, colorless service and apart from one tiny "chef's tasting" thing, there was no sense that the evening was any different from others. The rest of the meal was only so-so and while the chef/owner stood at the door to the kitchen (with nothing to do) and could have used the opportunity to stop by and say hello, he did not.
Someone needs to clue in Alina's that a they need to make guests feel warmly welcomed and appreciated, first, and then well-served second.
The owners seem like lovely people and they need to let their restaurant express that.

1  Thank fredmyers3
Reviewed October 20, 2010

Dining alone is not always the easiest of prospects,but recently visiting South Deerfield I discovered a friendly first class restaurant called Alina's. It was nearly 9.00 pm and the restaurant had already served it's early diners but there were a nice number of occupied tables. ( 55 covers) I chose to sit at the bar, which is spacious and comfortable. The bar staff and wait staff were very friendly and made me feel at home. The menu Is well thought through offering a selection of traditional Italian dishes reflecting the chef's own style using fresh local ingredients. The menu is augmented by nightly specials and I chose the calimari & mussels simmered in a perfect fresh tomato and herb sauce. The waitress had also described a sashimi grade tuna dish which I opted to have plain grilled almost rare accompanied by oven roast potatoes with sauteed spinach, as plain as this might seem it was cooked perfectly and very flavorful.
The restaurant offers a nice selection of wines and unusually every wine on the list is offered by the glass.
I finished my meal with an espresso avoiding the tempting list of desserts.
I had the opportunity to meet Martin the very experienced chef owner, to compliment him, and to wish him well in this young endeavor.
The menu is fairly priced and the restaurant offers family dining nights on Sundays and other promotions through the week making an evening out affordable.
Finally, even empty ,the restaurant had a pleasant ambience, with soft and interesting music and no tv screens!

Reviewed August 28, 2010

I had looked at the menu on line before going and prices seemed very high but this restaurant is half way between friends and us.

Atmosphere was just plain. Matradee stand at the front door seemed pretentious as the place is very small. Our friends had gotten there before us and when we were seated warned us that we would have to try really hard to understand our waiter. After asking a few times to repeat a special we gave up. all four of us could not understand half of what he said.

Bar, no tap beer only bottle. I ordered a bloody marry but luckily the bar tender heard and came over to tell me no horse radish was available. I settled on a BBC Steel Rail that did come with a frosty glass. the rest settled on water. I had originally asked for seltzer water and the waiter left and then a short while later came back asking some question about my water that I could not understand so went with beer.

Food, Cesar salad was interesting it came as a build your own. lettuce wrapped tight together with the dressing on the bundle. Croutons set aside the lettuce and wedges of tomatoes on the other side. About the tomatoes, for this pricey of a restaurant and the abundance of local fresh tomatoes right now I don't know why the ones used were of the out of state ripened on the journey no flavor variety.
My wife ordered a vegetable risotto and I ordered a steak and lobster special. I could not understand the waiter but I did hear steak and lobster and figured a special should be a good choice. Well the $18.00 serving of vegetable risotto was almost void of any vegetables and the serving was no more than a cup full and very bland. My steak special had a very grizzly piece of steak that only half could be eaten and the lobster part of it was two small pieces worked into a dark brown sauce that there was no way the lobster could have had any influence in the flavor.

This place is trying to price itself as an upscale restaurant but that is the only thing upscale about it. We will never go back.

1  Thank Harmony58
Reviewed April 29, 2010

I have enjoyed numerous dinners at Alina's and it is always a delight to the senses! From the delicious Martinis to the exquisite entrees I can't wait to go back again to try yet another creation from Chef Martin. The servers have always been friendly and the atmosphere is elegant and warm. I continue to be a devoted fan and now measure other restaurants' offerings against Alina's stellar fare - however, few have met my expectations. My recommendations: Lobster Ravioli or stuff aged sirloin & the Michelangelo Chianti.