“Disappointed”

Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Takeout
Boston, Massachusetts
“Disappointed”
Reviewed March 26, 2014

I had not been to Filho's in some time, perhaps a year or more, but was looking forward to this visit. In the past, Filho's had always offered good food and a very good value. It is true, as stated in other reviews, that the place is small and noisy and it can be difficult to get a table. But, in the past, it has been worth it. Unfortunately, not so this time.

This is a BYOB restaurant which is a feature that we are often attracted to.

About the meal:
The salads are still very good here and represent a good value. One is certainly enough to serve two people. They are fresh and the fresh herbs used really make a difference.
The bread that was brought to the table was just OK. It was fresh but soft as though it had been stored in a plastic bag. Fine for many tastes but we much prefer a Italian or French bread that is crusty.
The entrees of chicken and veal each contained three moderately sized pieces which, we found to be inadequate. Moreover, both were tough. The piccata sauce was quite good.
The sides of pasta were also good. The pasta was nicely cooked and the marinara sauce was slightly sweet but not sweet enough to present a problem for those with a savory palate. When placing the order, we were not offered a choice of sauces for the pasta and are not sure that options were available. Had we been, we would likely have chosen oil and garlic which would have better complemented our entrees.

The service was fine, particularly given that this is an eatery where one places one's order at the counter and pays for it before it is delivered to one's table. It would be nice if the servers at least offered water. It is a bit of a pain to have to ask for ice and water at the busy counter. Speaking of which, arguably, the biggest single issue that we had was the fact that we had to try several wine glasses before finding ones that were free of old lipstick and other grime. One is left to wonder about the cleanliness behind the scenes. For that reason alone, I am very sorry to admit that we are less than eager to return. Hence, our disappointment in what had been a really good local find. Hopefully, the owners will recognize their problems and address them before they begin to lose more business.

West Groton, Massachusetts
“Best Italian food around”
Reviewed March 22, 2014

Filho's Cucina is one of the best restaurants in the area, period. I have never had a bad experience there.

The setup is a little bit different initially; you order your food from the counter and it is brought to your table. Also, you get your own napkins/silverware/water/wine glasses/etc. Nothing wrong with that if it helps keep their prices down! BYOB option is awesome.

Now onto the food. Huge portions, delicious, reasonably priced. Their lobster ravioli are the best I've ever had. Unlike any other restaurant, they come with a bunch of plump shrimp tossed in with the pasta. Soooo good. Chicken parm is likewise one of the best I've had anywhere, almost too big for one person to finish. The daily specials are where they really shine, they usually have a pizza choice (marked on the grill and finished in the oven, AMAZING) a seafood special (always fresh and tasty) and a couple of always changing entrees that have been delicious when I've ordered them. (Had spinach, sun dried tomato and fontina cheese stuffed chicken breast topped with sauce, with mashed potatoes and asparagus last week, awesome)

The place itself is small, and because of its reputation, almost always crowded. They do NOT take reservations. They also have a few tables to eat outside when the weather is nice.

Groton, Massachusetts
“best italian takeout within miles!”
Reviewed March 14, 2014

cute little restaurant, a bit crowded to eat-in but lots of people do it. it's on my way home from work, so i pick up take out if i'm having company on a weeknight and it works out well!

Boston, Massachusetts
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best italian ever... Sorry mom”
Reviewed March 13, 2014 via mobile

This place is one of the best italian places I have ever been to. Actually, it IS the best! I told myself I wouldn't write a review because it is so small inside I didn't want people to find out about this gem! But I couldn't help myself and had to rave about it. Their house salad is irresistible. It has mushrooms, tomatoes, chunks of blue cheese... So good. The chicken parm is even better! The sauce is to die for and the chicken is cooked perfectly. The portions are big- more chicken than pasta. They make their pasta there which is even better because it's fresh. It is BYOB but there is a liquor store right next door.. They actually have a connecting doorway inside for customers to easily go buy something. I've also had their bruschetta which is a bit different but absolutely delicious. This is a must go!

Dunstable, Massachusetts
“Best kept local secret”
Reviewed March 5, 2014

Hidden in plain sight in the midst of Groton, MA's main street, Filho's Cucina is this area's best casual restaurant, with competitors trailing way behind. Whether it's summer time and my husband and I bike here to eat a meal at the outdoor tables before bicycling back home or the heart of winter and we're here meeting friends for a dinner date, the food is awesome, the service warm and efficient, and the setting pleasant and comfortable. Their policy to BYOB is ideal, saving customers the painful markup on alcohol that restaurants usually impose. If time is short, the liquor store, adjacent through an open door into the next space, is well stocked for the occasion. We were here just last week with friends and had a great time. We even saved room for dessert which was top notch and so delicious at to have me craving, a week later, a trip back to Filho's to recreate the pleasure.

• Visited March 2014

Been to Filho's Cucina? Share your experiences!