“very good”

Ranked #1 of 66 Restaurants in Greenfield
Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar scene, Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Hope & Olive in Greenfield, MA is an award winning New American restaurant serving Lunch, Sunday Brunch, Dinner, Bar Menu, Coffees & Craft Cocktails in a fun and relaxed atmosphere. We are happy to accept a reservation for a party of 6 or more, and will accept names on our wait list in advance on the day you plan to come. Thanks for looking us up!
Reviewed May 3, 2019

Food is good, very modern. Service is so-so. Took a while to get our drinks refilled and our bill. Nothing really stands out, but maybe during a slower night Hope and Olive could raise their game as the restaurant was extremely busy.

Date of visit: April 2019

Reviewed April 24, 2019

We’ve been going to H&O for many years and love the fun fresh food choices and the drinks are always on point!

Date of visit: March 2019
Jim3663, Owner at Hope and Olive, responded to this reviewResponded April 26, 2019

Thanks so much, Jill! Say hello next time you're in. -Jim

Reviewed April 5, 2019

visit recently to greenfield, it is an older new england town with an interesting main street and many interesting buildings, but, as is often the case in the more remote new england towns there are more open windows than i am sure the town would like.....BUT one great reason to go there is this restaurant, 12 years old or so, pleasant inside , but nothing fancy, a lot of interesting art work on the walls, we ate at the bar, service was very pleasant and attentive, we tried some of their speciality cocktails which were very good, for lunch we had the shrimp scallops plate and the southern fried salmon cakes, they were both great!!!!
everyone was pleasant and you would probably enjoy yourself here, the bar apps for later in the day also looked very interesting.....take a trip to greenfield!!!!!

Date of visit: April 2019
Reviewed March 25, 2019

I definitely recommend going to Hope and Olive if you are in the Greenfield, Ma area! My server was very friendly and attentive and I found the atmosphere to be very relaxed yet sophisticated. The menu was very versatile for a more refined pallet, but if you like a simple spaghetti and meatballs or buffalo chicken wrap this is not the place for you. I found the food to be reasonably priced and the drink menu to have a great variety. I sat at a table but I would recommend trying to the bar if you have a small group, it looks very inviting.

The service was great and our server, in particular, was very attentive and knowledgeable of the menu. I was especially impressed with the presentation of the meals, even the to go boxes were nice! I would give Hope and Olive a 3.75/ 4 if possible but like I said it is a great choice if you are in the Greenfield area!

Reviewed March 24, 2019

My friends and I (party of 6) visited the restaurant last Thursday evening around 6:30pm. I would like to start off by saying that I really enjoyed my experience at Hope & Olive, overall, but I felt like they could've improved upon a couple aspects that would have made the entire experience better. I will definitely go back, should the opportunity arise.

PROS:

From start to finish, the service of all staff members was pleasant, extremely friendly, and attentive. As a craft beer lover, I was impressed by our server's knowledge of the selections and very satisfied with her suggestion. In addition, she offered me a taste of it before asking if I wanted a pint, which I always appreciate. I also have to mention the fact that the hostess was extremely accommodating when I called the day of our visit because we needed to come a little earlier than our 7pm reservation. Normally the restaurant doesn't take reservations for 6:30pm, but they were more than willing to take us early.

For appetizers we shared the butternut squash fritters, fried Brussels sprouts, and antipasto. The fritters paired nicely with the cranberry mayo, and were definitely my favorite starter. The sprouts were nicely fried and there were plenty of them to go around. The antipasto was a pleasant surprise and well put together. Overall, the portion sizes of the appetizers were generous and tasty. As an entree, I ordered the pork chops and again I was satisfied with the portion. The pork was well seasoned and the cauliflower turnip mash was nicely charred and balanced. We didn't have room for dessert, but I am glad they put the choices on a table tent, so guests can keep them in mind when ordering their appetizers and entrees.

The interior of the restaurant was quaint and gave off a cozy vibe. Tables were well spaced out and it did not feel like we were dining on top of any other customers. The lighting was dimmed perfectly and there were nice personal touches such as the multicolored lights above the bar which gave the restaurant character. The mini potted plant on the table was a nice decoration and definitely aligned with the brand. Overall, the atmosphere was comfortable and perfect for having a relaxing casual dinner.

CONS:

The only negative I could say about our waitress would be her discontent over our request for separate checks. We made sure to ask for separate checks at the very beginning of the meal in order to give her a heads up, but she was clearly and visibly bothered by this request. I realize it is a little bit of extra work on her part, but she should not have let us see her discontent. Lastly, there did not appear to be a standardized uniform for the staff, which I feel is important for any restaurant. Our server had multiple tattoos visible, which also did not seem to align with the brand and atmosphere. A standard uniform could help address that.

As a whole, I felt like the presentation of all dishes was lacking and underwhelming across the board. The fritters and sprouts were sauced very sloppily, and the plating seemed lazy. Maybe using sauce cups or ramekins would elevate the presentation slightly. The pork chops were, unfortunately, unrecognizable in the sense that I couldn't tell they were pork chops just by a glance. The plate was extremely cluttered, and one of my pork chops was raw. The "sauerkraut" was unpleasant. It tasted like straight vinegar and seemed like it didn't have enough time to marinate because it was way too crunchy. Overall, food presentation could be cleaned up, and some flavors could be better balanced.

As I previously stated, I quite enjoyed the cozy vibe of the interior, but some aspects could be better. The chairs at the table felt small and weren't particularly comfortable. The table itself was also positioned awkwardly under the light meaning that one side of the table was well lit and the other side was dark due to the shape of the chandelier. Napkins were also way too small and they did not lay comfortably on our laps or fell off several times. Lastly, it seemed weird to serve the bread already immersed in the olive oil, and would be better off in a bread basket for presentation purposes and especially if people don't like olive oil with their bread.

Final Thoughts:
I think this restaurant is better than 3 stars, and I honestly would rate them 3.8 stars if I could. The value for the food was definitely fair, and I actually think they could charge more for the portion sizes that they serve. However, I do not think they did enough for me to rate them 4 stars. I would go back to Hope & Olive, if given the chance, but I would not go out of my way to go back there because it is about a 25 minute drive and there are better restaurants closer by. It is a nice change of scenery, and I could see why it does well in its market, but there is definitely room for improvement.