“Bad Stay on all points.”
Review of Rodeway Inn

Rodeway Inn
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Greenfield
Reviewed May 21, 2010

Arrived after 3:00 pm. Our room with 2 Queens still not ready. Said come back in about an hour. I said NO Way. I asked if another Choice hotel in town & they said no. Then said i could have a king room at once. Then at 3:30,my wife went to wash her hair,as it is long and NO HOT water.Called desk & they said it should only be a few minutes. after calling again i went to front desk & they said they had trouble earlier in the day ,but must have messed up again & called for repair.After water heater was fixed we had to let water run because it was real rusty. Had to clean tub out several times it took till 8:30 pm till we could take a shower. Complaind about it again at check out. Am waiting to see if anything will be done about it,as i used some of my points for a free stay.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank buchster2

Reviewed May 17, 2010

My wife and I booked this hotel for the night prior to our daughter's graduation from the University of Massachusetts, Amherst. Rates appeared to be inflated as one would expect for a big event.

Basic #1 - Answer the phone. As the hour became late we called ahead to let the hotel know we would be arriving after midnight. Repeated calls were picked up by the fax machine and we were unable to connect, finally giving up.

Basic #2 - A clean room. Once the desk clerk found our reservation we were assigned a room and drove around the hotel to the proper entrance. Opening the room door we were greeted by an unmade bed, papers on the floor and towels littering the bathroom. Fortunately we did not find anyone in the room. Trudging back to the desk at 1am the clerk was able to find another empty room that had been cleaned, and we finally got to our room 40 minutes after arriving.

Basic #3 - A hot shower. Morning came way too early and we awoke to find that the hotel was completely out of hot water. The shower was not just cold, it was freezing! In a call to the desk we were told that maintenance would be there in an hour or so. This was the only time you could hear the guests in adjoining rooms. Cold water precipitates some salty language.

I understand that this weekend was a busy one for the hotel, but fundamentally a hotel is in the business of providing basic lodging for a large number of people. This hotel failed on the basics.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank CranMass
Reviewed November 21, 2009

We arrived at the Quality Inn and when we went to our room the chemically smell in the hallway was worse than most hotels and the rug dingy and dirty. When we opened our room it was freezing. We turned on the heating unit and after awhile made intermittent and very loud rattling noises. We knew we wouldn't be able to sleep through it so even though my son was already in bed I called the lobby. I walked to the lobby (we were about as far as you could get from there), got the key to the room next door and moved out stuff. The guy at the lobby then brought us a key to another room instead and we moved in there. It too was freezing. I turned on the heat and we got in bed - it was late, we had an early morning interview for my son after a long day and were very tired. Then the heat shut off. I was ready to have to move again when it finally came back on which it did all night. I had to bundle my sheet and blanket and double it over to stay warm on a bed with a plastic, crinkly mattress cover. An unpleasant night. I've slept in far worse hotels in my day, but what was most appalling was that this one cost $89, not $39.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank newfriendseverywhere
Reviewed November 9, 2009

This Quality Inn was very nice for the price. The room was small, but comfortable and had a good mattress. Bathroom was clean and had nice towels. Table and chairs fit in room easily, unlike at other Inns. The eating area was very pleasant with nice selection of food, including sausage & eggs and fresh fruit. The nicely landscaped pool area looked like it would be a nice place to be in the summer. Location was convenient to downtown Greenfield and to Interstate 91. It was cold outside during the 2 nights we were there. The heater worked well, but was noisy. The one amusing thing - the clock had not been turned back the week before, so we ended up early at our destination on Saturday!

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed September 15, 2009

We needed a pet friendly hotel and it was. Our room had a sliding glass door looking out onto the street and had a flimsy lock - if you can call it that. Our bed was not comfortable but the room and bathroom was clean. It looks like it used to be a Howard Johnson and looks a little dated once inside. This won't be my first choice again if I stay in the area but it was okay.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 8, 2009

My boyfriend and I stayed the night at this hotel and we thought it was awful. The worst hotel stay I'd ever had. We paid $86 AFTER my significant organization savings discount and the room was a dump. There were mysterious stains all over the bedding, the rug just felt greasy and gross, the room was tiny. The list price for a single night in that room was something to the tune of $120. WAY overpriced. Add on top of that the staff was completely and utterly useless. Our neighbor decided it was a good idea to smoke in the NON-SMOKING ROOM and the front desk did NOTHING. They said, "Oh yeah, that's wrong, but we can't just go pointing fingers at your neighbors to ask them to stop smoking." WHAT? So what's the point of having a non-smoking wing if you aren't going to enforce it?

Later that night when we were trying to go to sleep, the guy put on his TV onto the Weather Channel at full blast and would not turn it off. I first tried to call front desk again and they tried calling and knocking on the guys door but it didn't do any good. I asked them, after it was nearly 1am, to enter the guys room because he was seriously unconscious. I say this because not only was the front desk guy banging on his door, but my boyfriend was POUNDING on the wall and on the adjoining door. POUNDING. He would have to have been DEAD to not even stir from the noise we were creating. The guy could have been dead but they didn't want to open the door to check on him and turn his TV off. We didn't sleep that night, needless to say.

You'd think that would have been the end of our trouble but no. I sent an email complaining of the poor service to customer service and they asked my name and booking number, but haven't said a word to me since. Not even an apology. I demanded a refund or a free nights stay to compensate but I've received nothing in weeks.

Would I say this was a *Quality* stay? Absolutely not. I would not recommend this place to anyone.

Oh, also, their swimming pool looked disgusting.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mmwingo
Reviewed July 22, 2009

We had stayed here previously when it was the Greenfield Inn in 2005. We returned again in July 2009, and found it was now the Quality Inn. The location is perfect, and the girl at the counter was very nice when we checked in. The lobby looked like it had been redone, and was nicely set up. The eating area was very clean and well stocked in the morning. The room itself was pretty clean and very simple. The bathroom was a bit outdated, as was the bedding, but as I mentioned, overall pretty clean. My only two complaints - the air conditioning in the room and the pillows. The AC was very loud, and rattled during the night, and didn't contribute to much of a good night's sleep. The pillows were little square pillows, with four placed on the bed. I'm not sure when hotels started to switch to these little squares to rest your head on, but they need to switch back to the regular pillowsl

All in all, I would probably stay here again. It was a decent place to stay for a decent price, with no frills.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Greenfield
Hampton Inn & Suites Greenfield
Colonial Motel & Spa
Colonial Motel & Spa
#4 of 10 in Brattleboro
Holiday Inn Express Amherst-Hadley

Been to Rodeway Inn? Share your experiences!