“Frozen vegetables”
Review of The Clay Oven - CLOSED

The Clay Oven
Cuisines: Indian
Reviewed April 8, 2014

Awesome, delicious food. But they served frozen veggies as a side dish. Yes they were prepared, but nevertheless,they were not fresh.

Reviewed April 6, 2014

We love Indian food, so we were really pleased to see a new place open up in downtown Greenfield. We went on a Friday night and the place was FULL, and this restaurant has a lot of seating. We ordered some appetizers, naan and entrees. All were very good! My wife was a bit disappointed that she ordered a "medium" spicy dish, and it turned out to be too spicy for her (that just means more tasty leftovers for me!), but aside from that, we were very pleased with our food. I was not able to order a cold beer with my meal, but I assume I would have been able to BYOB. Next time I'll know better. Early reviews were critical of the service, but I think they have addressed most of their service issues. We had no complaints.

1  Thank tbbbnbab
Reviewed April 5, 2014

We have been searching for another good Indian restaurant in the Valley (the other one is India House in Northampton, but they only serve dinner…. no lunch, and lunchtime is when we prefer our main meal of the day.) Well, we found it. We had the lunch buffet and it was excellent, with great variety and all offerings were fresh and appetizing, not to mention, delicious. There were ample vegetarian dishes and the basmati rice was superb… each grain separate and done just to the right rightness. The mushroom saag was outstanding, as were the vegetarian pakoras. The only disappointment was dessert which they called "rice pudding." This version of Indian Kheer was rather bland and could have used more cardamom and the obligatory pistachios were missing. It was also a bit watery. Not the best kheer I've ever had. We will definitely return and hope to have the opportunity to order from the menu next time.

Reviewed March 12, 2014

I have only ordered takeout from this restaurant, so I cannot speak to service in house, but oh my goodness is the food delicious! As a resident of the town, I am so pleased to see more and more great restaurants coming into the community.
Every time I call for pick-up the staff is always friendly and helpful. I love, love, love the option to make anything and everything mild to extra spicy. I always request for my food to be made spicy and I've never been disappointed. It is hot. Like, get some milk handy and brace yourself hot! Impressively, the other flavors in the food always come through, which is tough to do with very spicy dishes. They don't skimp on the veggies, either, which I appreciate.
Their menu is extensive, but not overwhelming, and has a ton of vegetarian options, which I am a big fan of. I recommend the malai kofta and the paneer tikka masala, both made spicy. The naan and tandoori items are also quite good.
The only downside is that sometimes they are so busy that the wait for takeout is quite long (30 minutes). Hopefully they'll hit their stride and the wait time will go down a bit.

Reviewed March 6, 2014

So. My first thoughts upon entering this little place were:

1) Wow, it smells amazing in here.

2) Why didn't we know about this place sooner!?

We just found out the Clay Oven exists last week. I've finally been to enough Indian restaurants that I feel safe in reviewing one. This place was phenomenal. I read prior reviews on here and Yelp, so I was a little hesitant, but had to try it.

We did choose to sit a few tables away from the doorway, as it does bring in a cold breeze if you're close. The warm decor is inviting and cozy. Our server was prompt and knew what we were asking for.
He came out immediately with water and papadums, served with mint and tamarind chutneys. The papadums were nicely spiced, and the chutneys had a some heat and were very flavorful, very tasty.
We tried two appetizers- the lamb samosas, which were crispy on the outside and perfectly seasoned on the inside, and the chicken pakoras. The chicken was cooked all the way (some commented this was an issue) and excellently seasoned, very tasty again.
We ordered the Chicken Saag (hot) and Chicken Tikka Masala (medium). Another previous complaint was that some dishes were bland/lacked spice, but it states on the menu that most are mild unless otherwise specified. Each dish had the perfect blend of taste and heat. Our noses were running just a tiny bit (how can you eat Indian food and not have that??) The saag was creamy and hearty, and the tikka was amazing. Cooked with a wonderful gravy, onion and pepper.. we wanted to lick our dishes clean. Each came with plentiful amount of rice. We got cheese naan and garlic chive naan with it, both soft and crispy, wonderfully cooked.

My favorite place to go before going here was a restaurant all the way in Boston, but now it has a rival! And it's very dangerous too, as this is in walking distance to us... :)

2 appetizers, 2 main dishes and 2 naan, $50. Seems very reasonable to me. We were stuffed and still took home leftovers. I am SO looking forward to my lunch tomorrow! We did not try the buffet so we can't comment on that.

Please give this place a try! Perhaps they were a little rough starting out, but based on tonight I can't wait to go back!