“PLACE IN THE COUNTRY”

Lantern House Motel Great Barrington
Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Great Barrington
Reviewed July 18, 2013

Booked this motel on the internet....very clean....neat....friendly....
gracious host....quality stay for the price....would book this motel in the future....comfortable to recommend to friends....EVEN HAS A COMPLIMENTARY BREAKFAST

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed July 8, 2013

Spent two days in the Berkshires and stayed at the Lantern House Motel. it was clean, the bed was very comfortable and the owner/manager was accommodating. Grounds were well kept. I would definitely stay there again next time I return to the Berkshires.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 8, 2013

I chose this motel because the usual places i pick were all rented out. I was fortunate to get a room kind of last minute. I was in town because there was a death in the family so it was kind of a spur of the moment visit. The owner said he would give me a deal since it was just me and charged $115 dollars. It was the only option so i took it. The other motels i stay at, one being across the street only charges $70. Anyway i picked up my keys and dropped my things off in the room. My friend came in to use the bathroom and as i was walking out i could see the owner hiding in the office and staring at us. He watched us all the way until we drove away. Im sure he was taking down the license plate number. So later that night after a couple to many beers i ended up having my friend stay at the motel with me since it was in walking distance and i didn't want him to drive. When we woke up in the morning the owner was waiting for us right outside the door. He instantly starting screaming at us because it was only meant for one person and he gave me the special $115 deal. After a second his wife came up and really starting laying into us. Its not like we had a party or made a mess. They kept threatening to call the cops and said they were gonna charge my card an extra $50 dollars. Explaining that its great barrington law to charge for an extra person. Not sure where that "law" came from. I just ended up handing them cash and they chased us out of the parking lot telling us to never come back. It might have been the worst interaction with a business owner that i have ever had. If the situation was handled different i might have been more then happy to give them extra money, Whenever a business owner is yelling at someone for no real reason then there has to be a problem there. I guess ill just let my friend drive drunk home next time to avoid hidden fees. I will never return to this place again. There is far better places in this town that have great customer service and are actually clean. I have seen other complaints about the owners.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank autosap3
Reviewed July 7, 2013

My family had a fantastic 4th of July weekend at the Lantern House. The owners took great care to make sure the guests were comfortable. Everyone that stayed there that we met was pleasant and friendly. The location is perfect- can walk to necessities and great restaurants (try Naji's). The pool is wonderful without the chlorine. Rooms are cozy, clean, neat and spacious with microwave and fridge. Two adults, a 4 year old, and two year old had plenty of space in one room. Thank you to Hasu and his wife- cant wait to come back!

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed July 5, 2013

This hotel was very cute and clean, and the owners were friendly and helpful. Comfortable beds and attractive, well maintained grounds, good price and good location. Didn't have a chance to use the pool but it looked nice. Decor was a bit dark for my taste--wood paneling etc, but our room had a mini fridge. Definitely recommend

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 25, 2013

Face it, reasonably priced places with accommodating owners are hard to come by in these parts especially in the high summer season. Lantern House Motel and Hasu Patel are a real find. We have stayed here at least once or twice a season for a number of years and have always had a good experience. Hasu takes great pride in his place and is always making improvements. The location - close to GB's excellent restaurants and stores with easy access to all the attractions of the Berkshires, can't be beat.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 16, 2013

The owner lives on the premises and greeted us when we arrived impromptu. There were three of us, each needing a separate room, so he gave us a discount off the already rock-bottom rate. The rooms are big and well-equipped, wood-paneled, very clean, and lit with flourescents. There is a sheltered porch with chairs for sitting outside with a drink or smoke. There are several restaurants within walking distance, which was important to us after a full day of riding in the rain. In the morning, we woke to find a towel on each bike for drying off the seat, windshield, and controls. Continental breakfast is self-service and plentiful. The beds are firm and comfortable, and the location is quiet. There is a gazebo in the lawn in case smoking disturbs other guests. There is also free WiFi, which has become more important than TV. These folks thought of everything. We just lucked out finding this place, but I will stay there again if I find myself in that area and in need of a place.

Room Tip: No restaurant or fitness center, but we didn't need them.