“Left a bitter taste”

Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Lime Kiln Road
Description: We at Route 7 Grill are proud to be providing fresh, local food to our Berkshire neighbors and friends. All of our meats are naturally raised from local farms or small family farms. We hope that our close relationship with these farmers have some positive effect in preserving local farming traditions. Everything we serve, including stocks, soups, dressings & desserts are made here from scratch. Our philosophy is inspired by Berkshire Grown, as well as the farm-to-table movement. The restaurant, nestled in the Housatonic river valley of the Southern Berkshires offers a full service dining room and full bar. We're located on historic Route 7 south of Great Barrington in the shadow of June Mountain We also offer a second dining room concept - including Raw Bar, Charcuterie & Tasting menus. Call for details!
pittsfield
“Left a bitter taste”
Reviewed August 14, 2008

My wife and I finally got a night away from the kids and we decided to try the Route 7 Barbeque because of the positive reviews we read on this page. We were both, however, thoroughly disappointed with this experience. While the atmosphere, initially, seemed perfect, this was eventually overshadowed completely by the lack of variety on the menu, the inexperienced service, and the luke-warm food, not to mention the ridiculous prices for a restaurant that supposedly specializes in barbeque. I don't mind paying such prices if the experience is worth it, but this was not. I really don't know who the chef and the owner are trying to fool with this joke of a menu, but we certainly were not fooled, and we will not be back. We are locals and we have already told several friends and acquaintances of ours not to bother.

2 Thank sinbad103

New York
“So-so”
Reviewed August 13, 2008

By no means the worst que I've ever had, but I don't think I would go out of my way for it.
I think that with a little work these guys may be on the right track. They need to work on the decor a bit, its a bit empty and sterile, but the fireplace is phemonenal. the service is poor and I dont think they are being impolite I think that they just haven't learned yet., but I live in the city and the intense competition between restaurants makes great service a business essential.
If I am in Great Barrington again next year I will probably try it again, if only to see how much they have improved.
Like I said, these guys are on the right track, but they can't get complacent. I think with a little attention to detail and better service they will have a top-notch restaurant.

1 Thank WanderingFloyd
Connecticut
“Excessive sugar does not a barbecue make...nor does poor service make a restaura”
Reviewed August 6, 2008

Last February, my family and I had an enjoyable evening at the Route 7 Barbecue and were thrilled that there was now a "real" barbecue restaurant in our weekend destination of choice. Unfortunately that trip was going to be the last good meal that I had there.

Later that year, in May, we could not even get them to answer the telephone to see if we needed resevations. We even drove through the parking lot on our way home to see if they had closed. I e-mailed them upon my return to work and was told that they had been extremely busy and that must have been why the phone wasn't being answered. Well, that explains peak dining hours, but we tried several times and did not even get an answering machine.

A talked some friends from work to stop there on their way to Pittsfield, I now have a reputation at work for having no taste whatsoever.

I always want to give people the benefit of the doubt so my wife, my son, his friend, and myself stopped in and ate dinner there on Tuesday night. I can tell the difference between barbecued meat and meat that has been sitting in a warming tray. Our meat was dry and had not seen a non-electric heat source in over an hour. My seafood chowder tasted like wharf scrapings. Our sweet potatoe fries were bottom of the bag rejects. My beans were home-made only in the sense that the establishment owns the can opener and the extra barbecue sauce that was dumped into it. But, by far was what was pawned off as barbecue sauce was just highly sweetened ketchup.. I have traveled and lived throughout the country and no where is it an acceptable practice to substitute sugar for quality. We were forced to wipe off as much sauce from our meat as possible in order to eat it.

Our service was poor, but this seems to be common in the Berkshires. I am usually a 25% tipper, I left 10% out of guilt and even then felt as if I was over-tipping. We were ignored through most of our meal and the staff missed a chance to sell us at least three more rounds of drinks. Our wait for the check was so long that we skipped dessert.

Sadly, I say, give this a miss.

3 Thank wawwie
Rt7Grill, owner at Route 7 Grill, responded to this review, August 12, 2008
It looks like this guy had a bad weekend away from home panning us as well as the Red Lion Inn.

He's eaten with us before and enjoyed it and knows our standards of quality are high and yet talks about us replacing our homemade bbq sauce (takes us 2 days to make a batch) with ketchup, adding sugar, opening a can or what-have-you.

These are just incorrect assertions. If the service was poor, that's one thing but all of our food is prepared from scratch.

a poor review is a poor review, but a poor reviewer is going to alter my tripadvisor status which has been really good so far.

i wrote him a letter already & offered him a free dinner to come in under my watch & make sure he understands our process.

other recourse?
New York
“Awesome, family friendly BBQ!!”
Reviewed February 24, 2008

Just finished enjoying the food from the Rt 7 Grill a second time this weekend! (last night at the restaurant and tonight by warming up the contents of the food we wrapped up to take home! )

Best baby back ribs and smoked chicken in the Berkshires! The staff is friendly and the atmosphere is relaxed and fun. The kids enjoyed their meals and cleaned their plates! We had a large group and they were able to seat us quickly...go early because it gets crowded on Saturday nights.

We started with chicken wings and a spinach salad (loved the cheese, bacon bits and chopped nuts), then tried the BBQ sampler and special pasta offering. The meat was juicy and tender and the pasta was topped with lots of smoked chicken and spinach - generous portions!

Leave room for dessert because the chocolate pecan pie is amazing - and for ice cream lovers, Rt 7 Grill serves several flavors of the area's best local ice cream (SoCo)! Apple crisp is another spectacular dessert and the kids gobbled up the chocolate cake. Overall, a very satisfying meal!

2 Thank KathyZNewYork
Boston
“Nice find”
Reviewed November 26, 2007

I found this restaurant on trip advisor while planning a recent trip to the Berkshires. After looking at the website and reading the reviews, I decided I would give it a try. It was great. The atmosphere was near perfect, and the staff were friendly. I loved the fireplace. The food was very good. Being a vegetarian I was a little limited in my choices (which is to be expected at a bbq place), but I was very happy with the assortment of side dishes I ordered. The mac n chees was the best, followed by the beets, greens, and baked beans. The beans were actually very meaty, so I wouldn't recommend for vegetarians. My husband enjoyed his meat loaf. And we were both happy with out after dinner treats---me, apple crisp and he, a scotch.